R.I.P Mitch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2012, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2012 09:06 PM by Misanthropik.)
R.I.P Mitch
[Image: mitch_jpg_250x666_q85.jpg]
Mitch Lucker 1984-2012

Gonna miss you, brother.

(Mitch was killed in a motorcycle accident, leaving behind a wife, Jolie, and a 5-year-old daughter, Kenadee. If you're so inclined, you can donate $20 or more at http://www.suicidesilence.net/ All proceedes from the official memorial fund will go toward his daughter's education)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2012, 12:19 AM
RE: R.I.P Mitch
Who was this, your brother?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
18-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Just a guy who's family needs any support anyone is able to provide. I listed $20, but any amount of money is optional. Even a single dollar.

18-12-2012, 02:11 AM
So, just some random guy from the internet... Meeeh... People die every day, all around me.

P.S.
This is the way a true misanthrope should have answered.

-Hunter S. Thompson
18-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Not quite a random guy, no.

18-12-2012, 10:29 AM
That's horrible turn of events. I feel bad for the family that he left behind... his little girl not getting to grow up with her father... terrible, terrible thing. It makes me very sad...

But, I can't help but to think... why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter driving a motorcycle? They are death on two wheels. I just don't get why he would want to risk leaving his family forever for the joy of riding a motorcycle.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

I still hate it for his family. So sad.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
18-12-2012, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2012 12:32 PM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
(18-12-2012 10:29 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, I can't help but to think... why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter driving a motorcycle? They are death on two wheels. I just don't get why he would want to risk leaving his family forever for the joy of riding a motorcycle.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just weird like that.
I don't think it works like that. I know dozens of people who have driven motorcycles their whole lives. None of them have died in motorcycle accidents. Sure, they're risky, but for safe drivers, they're only a little more risky than driving cars. Those guys speeding down the freeway on crotch rockets, weaving in and out of high-speed traffic, often without a helmet (not that helmets really matter at those speeds) - they're the guys who drive up the "risk" statistics. Take those fatalities out and motorcycles aren't quite as bad as most people think.

I drove one for about 15 years, including while I had a wife and two daughters. Never had an accident. I slid the bike on a rainy street once, at about 10 mph, didn't even get a scratch on me (though there were a few on the bike) - that's my one and only "accident" if you call it that. I've had three incidents in a car, two that weren't my fault and one that was. For me, the motorcycle was the better of the two choices, it would seem.

But that's not even the issue. You said "why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter driving a motorcycle" like riding motorcycles indicates some kind of death wish. I read your post and my first thought was that you must be equating riding a motorcycle with a deliberate attempt at committing suicide. You might have said "why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter swallowing sleeping pills" or "why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter slashing his wrists".

Motorcycle <> suicide.

"why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter driving a motorcycle?"

Probably for the same reasons that he might like to SCUBA dive or eat cheeseburgers or play football or smoke cigarettes or ski or rock climb or drink whiskey or hang glide or parachute jump or play hockey or mountain bike or skateboard or... Or maybe even drive a car to and from work, or fly in a plane to business conventions, or take a bus in a big inner city.

Yeah, there are lots of things people do, often they're even daily activities, that might end up increasing their risks of dying. Everyone does this. You probably do a few things on that list too, or maybe some things I left off the list. Driving a motorcycle isn't even the most dangerous thing I listed if you count injuries per hour spent involved in the activity.

Who knows, maybe he chose a motorcycle because the right bike can be 2-3 times more fuel efficient than most cars. Maybe he was eco-conscious and doing his part for Mother Earth. Or maybe it was all he could afford - they're cheaper than cars by quite a bit, and a young guy with a family might have been struggling to make ends meet. Or maybe he was a crazy daredevil speeding down the freeway weaving in and out of high-speed traffic - if he was, then maybe THAT is the question to ask: why was a guy with a wife and daughter behaving recklessly like that?

Otherwise, your question is probably irrelevant.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
18-12-2012, 01:06 PM
(18-12-2012 08:04 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Not quite a random guy, no.

Just to you.

Sorry for your loss though.
18-12-2012, 02:34 PM
(18-12-2012 01:06 PM)Magoo Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 08:04 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Not quite a random guy, no.

Just to you.

Sorry for your loss though.
Not sure I understand the first part of your post but thanks.

19-12-2012, 01:16 AM
We get the impression he means something to you, that he is not a random guy to you. To me, he is just some random guy from the internet news. Never heard of him, don't know anything about him.

So, if he means anything to you, I'm sorry for your loss.

-Hunter S. Thompson