R.I.P Mitch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 05:04 AM
RE: R.I.P Mitch
(18-12-2012 12:28 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 10:29 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, I can't help but to think... why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter driving a motorcycle? They are death on two wheels. I just don't get why he would want to risk leaving his family forever for the joy of riding a motorcycle.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just weird like that.
I don't think it works like that. I know dozens of people who have driven motorcycles their whole lives. None of them have died in motorcycle accidents. Sure, they're risky, but for safe drivers, they're only a little more risky than driving cars. Those guys speeding down the freeway on crotch rockets, weaving in and out of high-speed traffic, often without a helmet (not that helmets really matter at those speeds) - they're the guys who drive up the "risk" statistics. Take those fatalities out and motorcycles aren't quite as bad as most people think.

I drove one for about 15 years, including while I had a wife and two daughters. Never had an accident. I slid the bike on a rainy street once, at about 10 mph, didn't even get a scratch on me (though there were a few on the bike) - that's my one and only "accident" if you call it that. I've had three incidents in a car, two that weren't my fault and one that was. For me, the motorcycle was the better of the two choices, it would seem.

But that's not even the issue. You said "why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter driving a motorcycle" like riding motorcycles indicates some kind of death wish. I read your post and my first thought was that you must be equating riding a motorcycle with a deliberate attempt at committing suicide. You might have said "why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter swallowing sleeping pills" or "why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter slashing his wrists".

Motorcycle <> suicide.

"why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter driving a motorcycle?"

Probably for the same reasons that he might like to SCUBA dive or eat cheeseburgers or play football or smoke cigarettes or ski or rock climb or drink whiskey or hang glide or parachute jump or play hockey or mountain bike or skateboard or... Or maybe even drive a car to and from work, or fly in a plane to business conventions, or take a bus in a big inner city.

Yeah, there are lots of things people do, often they're even daily activities, that might end up increasing their risks of dying. Everyone does this. You probably do a few things on that list too, or maybe some things I left off the list. Driving a motorcycle isn't even the most dangerous thing I listed if you count injuries per hour spent involved in the activity.

Who knows, maybe he chose a motorcycle because the right bike can be 2-3 times more fuel efficient than most cars. Maybe he was eco-conscious and doing his part for Mother Earth. Or maybe it was all he could afford - they're cheaper than cars by quite a bit, and a young guy with a family might have been struggling to make ends meet. Or maybe he was a crazy daredevil speeding down the freeway weaving in and out of high-speed traffic - if he was, then maybe THAT is the question to ask: why was a guy with a wife and daughter behaving recklessly like that?

Otherwise, your question is probably irrelevant.

You are wrong about motorcycles being just a little more dangerous than cars. In my car I have a seatbelt that will keep me from taking flight. If a drunk driver hits me, I have more of a chance to survive than someone on the back of an engine with wheels. Drunks and people who are too old to be driving can be anywhere at any time. I live in NJ and there are pleanty of people here that should have given up driving years ago when they could still see a little and yet still they drive. We have idiots here that insist on having a cell phone to their ear. I was almost hit by one on my way to work last night. Bitch was so far over the line that I had to take evasive action. If I was on a motorcycle I had no chance of survival if hit, given the size of the vehicle she was driving. If you are the only vehicle on the road, motorcycles might even be safer than cars in the right hands. Having all those thousands of other drivers on the road and who knows how many of them are the type that should not be on the road for whatever reason, that is what makes motorcycles dangerous.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Speaking of motorcycle deaths, we've just had one in Los Angeles that's generated a lot of comment.

Frank Pastore, 55, was a former MLB pitcher who became a well-known Christian talk radio host, with the largest such audience in the U.S. People are saying he predicted his own demise.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/bigger...ies-86838/

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
21-12-2012, 10:53 AM
(20-12-2012 05:04 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 12:28 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I don't think it works like that. I know dozens of people who have driven motorcycles their whole lives. None of them have died in motorcycle accidents. Sure, they're risky, but for safe drivers, they're only a little more risky than driving cars. Those guys speeding down the freeway on crotch rockets, weaving in and out of high-speed traffic, often without a helmet (not that helmets really matter at those speeds) - they're the guys who drive up the "risk" statistics. Take those fatalities out and motorcycles aren't quite as bad as most people think.

I drove one for about 15 years, including while I had a wife and two daughters. Never had an accident. I slid the bike on a rainy street once, at about 10 mph, didn't even get a scratch on me (though there were a few on the bike) - that's my one and only "accident" if you call it that. I've had three incidents in a car, two that weren't my fault and one that was. For me, the motorcycle was the better of the two choices, it would seem.

But that's not even the issue. You said "why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter driving a motorcycle" like riding motorcycles indicates some kind of death wish. I read your post and my first thought was that you must be equating riding a motorcycle with a deliberate attempt at committing suicide. You might have said "why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter swallowing sleeping pills" or "why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter slashing his wrists".

Motorcycle <> suicide.

"why is someone with a wife and a 5 year old daughter driving a motorcycle?"

Probably for the same reasons that he might like to SCUBA dive or eat cheeseburgers or play football or smoke cigarettes or ski or rock climb or drink whiskey or hang glide or parachute jump or play hockey or mountain bike or skateboard or... Or maybe even drive a car to and from work, or fly in a plane to business conventions, or take a bus in a big inner city.

Yeah, there are lots of things people do, often they're even daily activities, that might end up increasing their risks of dying. Everyone does this. You probably do a few things on that list too, or maybe some things I left off the list. Driving a motorcycle isn't even the most dangerous thing I listed if you count injuries per hour spent involved in the activity.

Who knows, maybe he chose a motorcycle because the right bike can be 2-3 times more fuel efficient than most cars. Maybe he was eco-conscious and doing his part for Mother Earth. Or maybe it was all he could afford - they're cheaper than cars by quite a bit, and a young guy with a family might have been struggling to make ends meet. Or maybe he was a crazy daredevil speeding down the freeway weaving in and out of high-speed traffic - if he was, then maybe THAT is the question to ask: why was a guy with a wife and daughter behaving recklessly like that?

Otherwise, your question is probably irrelevant.

You are wrong about motorcycles being just a little more dangerous than cars. In my car I have a seatbelt that will keep me from taking flight. If a drunk driver hits me, I have more of a chance to survive than someone on the back of an engine with wheels. Drunks and people who are too old to be driving can be anywhere at any time. I live in NJ and there are pleanty of people here that should have given up driving years ago when they could still see a little and yet still they drive. We have idiots here that insist on having a cell phone to their ear. I was almost hit by one on my way to work last night. Bitch was so far over the line that I had to take evasive action. If I was on a motorcycle I had no chance of survival if hit, given the size of the vehicle she was driving. If you are the only vehicle on the road, motorcycles might even be safer than cars in the right hands. Having all those thousands of other drivers on the road and who knows how many of them are the type that should not be on the road for whatever reason, that is what makes motorcycles dangerous.

I don't disagree with anything you said.

But you do underestimate the maneuverability of motorcycles or their ability to avoid danger. Several times on motorcycles I took evasive action to avoid a collision and afterward I thought that I might not have been able to do that in a car - squeezing between two other cars in a space too narrow for a car to squeeze or accelerating/decelerating way faster than a car (with it's comparatively immense inertial mass) could hope to do.

Also, with good protective gear properly worn, a motorcycle driver can walk away from almost any accident a car driver can walk away from, although maybe with more bruises. The accidents that put a motorcycle driver with proper protective gear into the ER would probably have put a car driver into the ER as well, though admittedly the motorcycle guy usually suffers more trauma from these accidents than the car driver would have. And the accidents that kill motorcycle drivers might very well have killed car drivers as well.

Sure, in all those cases the motorcycle driver is more likely to get injured than the car driver. I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying that with proper gear, the margins on all three of those cases (walk away, injured, killed) are narrower than most people believe.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein