R.I.P., Ray Bradbury

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 05:45 PM by cufflink.)
RE: R.I.P., Ray Bradbury
(06-06-2012 10:29 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Awww, rest in peace!

One of my favourite's was a short story about a home in the future that came alive assumed it's owners. I forget it's name, it was over 15 years ago I went through a Bradbury phase.

LJ, I wonder if you're thinking of "There Will Come Soft Rains," Ray's 1950 story about a "smart house" of the future that continues to function for a while after its inhabitants have been killed in a nuclear holocaust.

I loved Bradbury, especially The Martian Chronicles and a short-story collection called The October Country, with fantasy stories that both delighted and scared me, which I read and re-read endlessly when i was young.

Rest in peace, sir.

Here are a couple of videos from two different points in Bradbury's life:

ETA: Here's the New York Times obit. Very nice piece. It includes this endearing little glimpse into Bradbury's personal life:

Quote:While Mr. Bradbury championed the space program as an adventure that humanity dared not shirk, he was content to restrict his own adventures to the realm of imagination. He lived in the same house in Los Angeles for more than 5o years, rearing four daughters with his wife, Marguerite, who died in 2003. For many years he refused to travel by plane, preferring trains, and he never learned to drive.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
(07-06-2012 10:15 AM)cufflink Wrote:  
(06-06-2012 10:29 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Awww, rest in peace!

One of my favourite's was a short story about a home in the future that came alive assumed it's owners. I forget it's name, it was over 15 years ago I went through a Bradbury phase.

LJ, I wonder if you're thinking of "There Will Come Soft Rains," Ray's 1950 story about a "smart house" of the future that continues to function for a while after its inhabitants have been killed in a nuclear holocaust.
I think that is it! Geez, that's so funny- 2026. We're almost there! I love looking at retro futuristic views of how we live now! Some aren't so far off... automatic coffeemakers, alarm systems, programmable TV's. Ha ha. The future is now Big Grin
08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Bradbury as dark prophet. He looked into his crystal ball and saw a horrific vision: us.

Uncle Ray's Dystopia

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
08-06-2012, 02:14 PM
(08-06-2012 01:38 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Bradbury as dark prophet. He looked into his crystal ball and saw a horrific vision: us.

Uncle Ray's Dystopia

Oh Cufflink - Thank you so much for posting that Times piece! I hadn't seen it - spot on!! Heart

Arm yourself with books. Assassinate your television. Go for walks, and talk with your neighbors. Cherish beauty; defend it with your life. Become a Martian.

I've long since begun all of the above... except ... well, I suppose time will let me know if/when I've become a Martian. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
08-06-2012, 05:28 PM
(08-06-2012 02:14 PM)kim Wrote:  
(08-06-2012 01:38 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Bradbury as dark prophet. He looked into his crystal ball and saw a horrific vision: us.

Uncle Ray's Dystopia

Oh Cufflink - Thank you so much for posting that Times piece! I hadn't seen it - spot on!! Heart

Arm yourself with books. Assassinate your television. Go for walks, and talk with your neighbors. Cherish beauty; defend it with your life. Become a Martian.

I've long since begun all of the above... except ... well, I suppose time will let me know if/when I've become a Martian. Wink
You're beginning to look a little green in the gills.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
23-08-2012, 09:36 AM
NASA has named the spot on Mars where the Curiosity rover set down Bradbury Landing.

Kinda brought a tear to my eye.

[+] 5 users Like cufflink's post
23-08-2012, 09:43 AM
R.I.P., Ray Bradbury
(23-08-2012 09:36 AM)cufflink Wrote:  NASA has named the spot on Mars where the Curiosity rover set down Bradbury Landing.

I love that this happened! Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
23-08-2012, 10:18 AM
(23-08-2012 09:36 AM)cufflink Wrote:  NASA has named the spot on Mars where the Curiosity rover set down Bradbury Landing.

Wow - this is so fitting. I'm misty myself. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.