R.I.P., Ray Bradbury

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2012, 10:07 AM
R.I.P., Ray Bradbury
You youngsters probably won't know who this is, but it's been reported that Sci-Fi author Ray Bradbury has died.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/06/showbiz/ra...index.html

His books shaped my love for sci-fi. Fahrenheit 451 and Martian Chronicles were favorite books in my youth.

Here is a link to one of his many short stories:

A Sound of Thunder, by Ray Bradbury

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
RE: R.I.P., Ray Bradbury
Sad

All Summer in a Day was one of my favourite short stories.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
06-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Awww, rest in peace!

One of my favourite's was a short story about a home in the future that came alive assumed it's owners. I forget it's name, it was over 15 years ago I went through a Bradbury phase.
06-06-2012, 11:39 AM

I read Fahrenheit 451 for the first time in 10th grade when I was 15 years old. I remember it like it was yesterday. What a long life he had! Of course, he was a theist, so I guess that makes him an idiot in a lot of people’s minds in this forum, especially the teen atheists who just know for a fact that anyone who believes in God is sub-intellectual and un-evolved.
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2012, 11:49 AM
You don't have to be an atheist to be cool.

My first experience with Mr. Bradbury was not in book form. It was from TV.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088591/

Then of course came the books. I remember being assigned to read Fahrenheit 451 in highschool and laughing because I'd already read it voluntarily. Meanwhile all of the other kids moaned about it. They didn't like Shakespeare either. n00bs.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2012, 11:53 AM
That guy was still alive ??? Wow...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
RIP, great writer. Matian cronicles a paticular favorite of mine. As to him being a thiest, cant say I care, his work speaks for itself.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
06-06-2012, 05:01 PM
“The minute you get a religion you stop thinking. Believe in one thing too much and you have no room for new ideas. ”
Ray Bradbury

An artist who loved and wrote about science. He was my hero.

Thanks Uncle Ray. Heart

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
06-06-2012, 07:13 PM
(06-06-2012 11:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  That guy was still alive ??? Wow...

This was actually my first reaction. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
(06-06-2012 11:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  That guy was still alive ??? Wow...
I had the same thought Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume