RATS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: RATS
My parents have a jack russel fox terrier cross. They live out in the country and there's a large maze farm across the road which means a lot of mice and rats. But Bandit (the dog) is fantastic, just lighting quick. He also loves catching rabbits and I once saw him even nab a bird, sneaked up behind it as it was standing on the grass. Obviously the bird killing isn't encouraged, but it was still pretty amazing to see him grab this bird mid-flight as it saw him too late and tried to fly away.

Popeye's right with this one, those dogs are amazing when it comes to hunting small fury (or feathery) animals.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2015, 10:15 PM
All this talk about rat infestations reminds me of a thread about ground squirrels on a gardening forum called GardenWeb. The thread is about 13 YEARS long. (not 13 pages...13 years) and apparently there is nothing people won't do to get rid of these varmints. It's all very entertaining to me but we don't have ground squirrels around these parts.

Every once in a while I check in to see what crazy things people are doing to obliterate them.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/235...-squirrels

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-04-2015, 01:19 PM
...Can I just mention how much it weirds me out that you can apparently identity types of rats by their "scat"?

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
20-04-2015, 01:53 PM
(20-04-2015 01:19 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  ...Can I just mention how much it weirds me out that you can apparently identity types of rats by their "scat"?

Growing up in the boonies does that to ya....

Around here anyone who can't tell racoon from opossum or rabbit turds, is considered uneducated........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-04-2015, 02:21 PM
(17-04-2015 07:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Yeah rats. The Norway variety I'm guessing from the scat.

It would appear I've got one living in the wall between my laundry room and utility room. (water heater, softener and well tank in there)....

I got some bigassed Victor rat traps (not the mouse kind) -- and it appears he accidentally tripped one last night and didn't get hurt too badly... There was a bit of hair and blood on the jaw of the trap - and a small puddle of blood on the concrete where the rat sat and recovered from the ordeal....

Now he knows rat traps and will probably associate peanut butter with pain - as that's what I used for bait....

Time to break out the muskrat foot traps, and the counterbearing trap for the hole he's using to get in and out of the wall.

The last one I had in the house - (this is the 2nd in 25 years or so) - I got lucky - and capped the bastard with a .22 pistol loaded with shotshell.

This one's probably going to be more of a challenge.

Any good rat stories - or sure-fire suggestions for bait???

I had a bigass black sewer rat take up residence in my house under the oven. 12" from nose to tail and another 6-8" with the tail. He got in through a basement door which had like a 1/4" air gap. Apparently the fuckers can collapse their skulls to fit through tight places. Knowing that rats, unlike mice, are smart as fuck, I put the bigass rat trap out for 3 nights with a piece of cheese just barely attached so she could get it without springing the trap. She did. Fourth night I smeared a shitload of peanut butter on the trigger thinking there's no way she's gonna get that without triggering the trap. I barely got her. Next morning I found a fucking crime scene mess in the kitchen. The trap was sprung and there was a bigass rat missing half its head laying about 10' from the trap and a blood trail that went completely around the kitchen multiple times. Rats are some smart resilient fucks.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-04-2015, 02:44 PM

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
20-04-2015, 08:46 PM
The title of the previous video reminded me of this song...

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post