RCC, pedophilia and celibacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 10:09 PM
RCC, pedophilia and celibacy
This just in, water is wet and the sky is blue ...

According to a new investigation, clerical celibacy may be one of the factors to have contributed to the increase in cases of child sex abuse within the Roman Catholic Church. The Truth Justice and Healing Council in Australia recently released a 40-page-activity report, which links pedophilia to celibacy for the first time ever.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...abuse.html

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like WillHopp's post
19-01-2015, 10:21 PM
RE: RCC, pedophilia and celibacy
It's about time someone said it. Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Totally unexpected Gasp

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
19-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Whodathunkit?!
20-01-2015, 01:59 AM
(19-01-2015 10:09 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  ...
increase in cases

Actually, I'm skeptical about this.

I suspect the number of cases may have gone down recently as public opinion has been voiced with greater volume.

Instead, there has probably been an increase in the number of reported cases.

... which is actually a positive thing.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
20-01-2015, 03:28 AM
(20-01-2015 01:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
increase in cases

I suspect the number of cases may have gone down recently as public opinion has been voiced with greater volume.

Sort of like how there isn't necessarily more people now who have become autistic or that there has been a rise in the rate of autistic children (cue ridiculous anti-vaccination conspiracy theory), but rather the recognition of and broadening of the definition has simply increased the number of people that otherwise previously would not have been identified as part of the autism spectrum disorder. Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
20-01-2015, 04:44 AM
(20-01-2015 03:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-01-2015 01:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, I'm skeptical about this.

Sort of like how there isn't necessarily more people now who have become autistic or that there has been a rise in the rate of autistic children (cue ridiculous anti-vaccination conspiracy theory), but rather the recognition of and broadening of the definition has simply increased the number of people that otherwise previously would not have been identified as part of the autism spectrum disorder. Consider

Pretty much (although that doesn't take into account the number of misdiagnoses in the early days (10 years ago) when GPs were still learning about the condition).

But it's also like crime figures.
When they go up, it's just as likely (probably more likely) that more people are reporting crime than that there is an increase in actual crimes. Therefore it's an indicator of greater trust in a police force / legal system (milage may vary per country).

It's something that I learned from running Service Desks... More reported Incidents means that IT users have greater trust / hope that they will get a good response (empathy etc.) - 83% and / or a resolution - 17%... It's not that more PCs are breaking.

Smartass

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-01-2015, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2015 04:44 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-01-2015 01:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
increase in cases

Me too. The USCCB (US Catholic bishops Conference) commissioned the John Jay Law school to look at the same thing, and they came up with completely different results. Pedophilia is a mental disorder. I've never seen nor read any study that shows it results from attempting to live in a celibate state. The Roman Church is incompetent to say anything about the matter. It's a problem for Psychiatry. The "crossed wires" in human brains that allows adults to view children in this way is a completely separate matter from whether abstinence from sex in general is more likely to result in abuse. It's an over-simplification IMO.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-01-2015, 06:27 AM
It may be obviously somewhat of a link... but I've still seen reports over the years that really the "catholic" focus is well overblown because are high amounts of reported pedophilia cases with Pastors and Reverends of other Christian religions that still have marriages. They just aren't focused on too much because it's not as obvious and easy to mock in the celibate creepy man and designated alter boy roles.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-01-2015, 07:07 AM
(19-01-2015 10:09 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  This just in, water is wet and the sky is blue ...

According to a new investigation, clerical celibacy may be one of the factors to have contributed to the increase in cases of child sex abuse within the Roman Catholic Church. The Truth Justice and Healing Council in Australia recently released a 40-page-activity report, which links pedophilia to celibacy for the first time ever.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...abuse.html

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.