RE: How many individuals in a pre species were there ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 08:59 PM
RE: How many individuals in a pre species were there ?
An agument went along the lines of a theist , saying
" you expect me to believe a few million offspring mutated enough to account for beneficial evolution." (sic).

After a chin scratch, I had to say I had no idea how many individuals of a species go into the process of a new species evolving.
Some insanely huge number, Id think, has anyone calculated the probable number of individuals that may have mated over time to say evolve a tiger and a lion from their nearest common ancestor.

Also what number of individuals have lived and died out to account for all life forms evolved to date:
[Image: evo-web-home-slideshow-tree.jpg.1140x481_default.jpg]

might be the only time you can use the number larger then " Centillion "

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2014, 11:06 AM
RE: RE: How many individuals in a pre species were there ?
(30-03-2014 08:59 PM)sporehux Wrote:  An agument went along the lines of a theist , saying
" you expect me to believe a few million offspring mutated enough to account for beneficial evolution." (sic).

After a chin scratch, I had to say I had no idea how many individuals of a species go into the process of a new species evolving.
Some insanely huge number, Id think, has anyone calculated the probable number of individuals that may have mated over time to say evolve a tiger and a lion from their nearest common ancestor.

Also what number of individuals have lived and died out to account for all life forms evolved to date:
[Image: evo-web-home-slideshow-tree.jpg.1140x481_default.jpg]

might be the only time you can use the number larger then " Centillion "

Except only one individual needs to have a beneficial or neutral mutation occur to introduce that to a species, and for it to go to fixation in a population.

And it is known how to count how many mutations there are that differentiate the aforementioned lion and tiger.

So the original statement of incredulity is, as usual, based on basic misunderstandings of genetics and evolution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
31-03-2014, 01:19 PM
RE: RE: How many individuals in a pre species were there ?
Exactly what Chas said, and I have an issue with your term "pre-species." There's no such thing. Every species that has ever existed (and ever will) are a full-fledged, independent species without regard for its ancestry or its descendants. Evolution requires changes to be beneficial to the individual. If you were born with a third leg, it would need to be of some advantage to you long before the emergence of a species of tripedal hominids.
There are no "transitional" species, per se, any more than my iPhone is nothing more than a space-filler between a flip phone and a cybernetic implant.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post