RE: Leadership & sociopathy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2012, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 08:31 PM by Stark Raving.)
EDIT. READ FIRST.: This post was mistakenly jumped to the top of the thread. It is meant to be a response to post #8. Chronologically, this should be post #9.
(11-12-2012 07:05 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 04:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I have a ton of sociopathic tendencies. I'm not necessarily a "leader" around here, but perhaps it's relevant?

Ahhh...do you mind sharing more, ie, what specific sociopathic tendencies do you have, and in what contexts do you most find yourself employing them?
Careful now. You may find out more than you want to know. Wink

No, really though, the feature that stands out most is lack of emotion. I don't really know if it translates here (although my posts are chronically misread as having emotion, innuendo, or implication, when they don't) but I don't feel emotion about much, and when I do, it nowhere close to the degree of your average joe.

The lying thread is a good illustration. Most people (and certainly most people on this forum) feel an emotion attached to lying. Now that's not to say that I have a moral belief that I should favor the truth over lying, but it doesn't evoke any feeling about that moral. If I feel a lie is justified, I don't feel bad about telling it.

I do, however feel bad when I tell a lie I do not feel is justified. That in itself disqualifies me from being an actual sociopath. It's more about having very dull emotions, as opposed to a sociopath, who doesn't feel them at all.

Just for the record, a sociopath isn't very simple to define, so please don't take my generalizations as gospel. There's many defining characteristics, and I happen to share more than most people, that's all. Likely it's more prevalent because some characteristics that schizophrenics tend to have overlap.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
11-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Leadership & sociopathy
I read a book this past year which suggested that there's a greater proportion of sociopaths in corporate leadership (executives, etc)...

Has anyone here ever had a boss or higher-up that could rightfully be defined as sociopathic? What clued you in? Did you do anything in response?

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2012, 01:47 PM
(11-12-2012 12:57 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  Has anyone here ever had a boss or higher-up that could rightfully be defined as sociopathic? What clued you in? Did you do anything in response?
While reading your post, someone popped into my head immediately.
I am not sure why, I never read up on sociapaths really, but she might fit.
When I worked as a child care worker, there was one specific boss who got me so far that I called the district managmament (I worked for the city basically and the city is biiig) one day and told her on the mailbox, that I will not go back to this place to work. So the lady in charge called me back at 8pm that night (while I was in class) to ask me what's going on.

So in a nutshell:
This boss knew exactly well how to play her "nice" cards but she would push everyone working under her to the frigging limit. Not just physically, but also legally and mentally. She would in private tell you how you are failing all the time, she would tighten rules so much that it was impossible to work inside them. But publicly she kept the sweet grandma-face.

I remember the lady who called me back that night telling me that I am not the first one with an emergency call like this. This woman was known for being horrible like that, as I found out from coworkers in other day care centers.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Yes. My prime minister. He's also an asshole.
11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
(11-12-2012 12:57 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  I read a book this past year which suggested that there's a greater proportion of sociopaths in corporate leadership (executives, etc)...

Has anyone here ever had a boss or higher-up that could rightfully be defined as sociopathic? What clued you in? Did you do anything in response?

Yes. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
I think it's true, along with the business owners and politco types I have interacted with, there is something to be said that there is a sociopathic slant to them.

Don't look at me...
11-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I have a ton of sociopathic tendencies. I'm not necessarily a "leader" around here, but perhaps it's relevant?

11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
(11-12-2012 04:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I have a ton of sociopathic tendencies. I'm not necessarily a "leader" around here, but perhaps it's relevant?

Ahhh...do you mind sharing more, ie, what specific sociopathic tendencies do you have, and in what contexts do you most find yourself employing them?

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
11-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Fuck. Timeline jumped me to the first post. This is gonna suck.

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
(11-12-2012 08:27 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Fuck. Timeline jumped me to the first post. This is gonna suck.

At least you're not pregnant like Kingsy was.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post