Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2010, 10:23 AM

RE: tips to quit smoking
Quitters Inc.
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2010, 05:58 PM
RE: RE:tips to quit smoking
Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I have ever done.
I started in 1963 when I was 13 and finally stopped in 1975. At the time I stopped it was really hard because everybody smoked everywhere. What really seemed to get me over the inital hump was getting the flu, any smoker who has gotten a really bad cold or flu knows what I mean. As much as you want to smoke that cig. you just can't bear the taste of it.
Anyway after about a week of smoking 2 drags and throwing it away, I bought a pack of True Blues, a truly disgusting cig. since my brand was Kool filter kings. I carrried this pack in my shirt pocket for at least 3 weeks, it seemed to help me not to freak out as long as I had a cig. nearby. I had dreams about smoking that were so vivid that I would awake and feel guilty for hours, that is how strong the addiction was with me. I feel that I could start back easily even after 35 yrs. Sometimes I walk out of a resturaunt and catch a whiff of smoke and I realize what a junkie must feel like when he sees someone shoot up, it is soooo good. I have to add that both of my parents, lifelong smokers, died of small cell lung cancer, my Mom sat by my Dad's bedside and watched him die as she smoked, and then died herself 12 yrs. later. Sorry this post is such a bummer, but thats the way it happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2010, 07:40 AM

we will all quit smoking someday... so relax and enjoy yourself while your still here... got a lite?
14-12-2010, 09:18 AM
(14-12-2010 07:40 AM)freethinker1 Wrote:  we will all quit smoking someday... so relax and enjoy yourself while your still here... got a lite?

Sound a little like the phrase that middle school kids say: ''Why stop smoking, we'll die anyways.''.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
15-12-2010, 12:54 AM
(14-12-2010 09:18 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
(14-12-2010 07:40 AM)freethinker1 Wrote:  we will all quit smoking someday... so relax and enjoy yourself while your still here... got a lite?

Sound a little like the phrase that middle school kids say: ''Why stop smoking, we'll die anyways.''.

And before they die they suffer aggravating coughing spells and spend enough money on the habit to buy a large house.
If they took their cigarette money and put it into mutual funds instead, they could retire a hell of a lot richer and have much happier and healthier senior years.
15-12-2010, 08:07 AM

sounds like a great game-plan for you... but far be it from me to tell another how they should live or what should or should not make them "happy"... live and let live .... i find it interesting that all the "preachers" are not in churches
(14-12-2010 09:18 AM)Kikko Wrote:  

i can assure you 2 things... first I'm no middle schooler and second, the adage holds true.
16-12-2010, 01:02 AM
I didn't preach. I stated a couple of facts. My uncle is not enjoying his coughing spells at all. Neither is anyone else I know who are suffering from them because of long term smoking habits. Maybe you will enjoy yours when you get them.
16-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Quote:sounds like a great game-plan for you... but far be it from me to tell another how they should live or what should or should not make them "happy"... live and let live .... i find it interesting that all the "preachers" are not in churches
Does enlightenment count as preaching? Or does telling, how incredibly stupid it is to knowingly make onself addicted on a substance that doesn't even make one high, count as telling one how to live?
Quote:the adage holds true.
Yes it does, but it sounds very stupid.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
07-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Another Tip to Quit Smoking

"Have a look at Christopher Hitchens."

It's a bad joke, sorry. But to be perfectly honest, I'm a smoker too. Coming from a country where a pack of cigarette is sold for $1,5 and the same country that was made popular by a 2 year old chain-smoker, it is very hard to quit smoking. Logical thinking can't help much because it is more of a behavioral problem with, to a certain extend, underlying psychological one as well.
09-01-2011, 11:15 AM

I know this is an old thread, and the following may have been mentioned, but smoke as normal for the first day or so and record how many cigs you smoke. Let's say on the first day you smoke 20. On the next day, try limit the number to 19 - discarding the remainder. Over the following few days, get into the habit of sticking to 19 cigs by discarding 1 cig as soon as you open the pack. When you get comfortable with 19, try limiting the number to 18. Keep repeating this process until you can go without. Simples!