RFID aka The Mark of the Beast

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
28-04-2010, 02:05 AM
RFID aka The Mark of the Beast
Probably you've already heard about it. The prophecy in the Book of Revelations states that

"And [the Antichrist] causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

And that no man might buy or sell, save [except] he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (Rev 13:16-18 KJV)

As you would know, Applied Digital Solutions' Verichip is already being manufactured and used in some parts of the world as a means of identification and payment, the Baja Beach Club being the first but apparently there are others too.

Here you can find a pretty comprehensive article speculating on the link between Verichip and the prophecy.

I can see the grounds for making this connection. Verichip is implanted in the arm or hand, and it can be used for selling and buying things. For the time being, its use is limited, but in the future, as more and more people decide to use it, it wll become a growing trend and, at some point, it might be used as an exclusive payment method.

The prophecy aside, I'll have to admit it does sounds scary. Certainly it would make things a lot simpler, but can the threat of it being used as a tracking device be eliminated? I for one don't fancy the idea of being implanted with a chip, unless there was a strong reason for it such as a health problem. Besides, I don't think this sort of thing should be imposed upon the populace; even if does become popular and widely used, some sort of alternative to it should be preserved.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Is there a real danger associated to RFID microchips or is it simply a stage in technlogical development, the hype being due to people being afraid of innovation (as was the case with most groundbreaking discoveries)?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2010, 05:21 AM

RE: RFID aka The Mark of the Beast
Quote:"New Testament scholar Craig C. Hill, a Methodist, says, "It is far more probable that the mark symbolizes the all-embracing economic power of Rome, who's very coinage bore the emperor's image and conveyed his claims to divinity (e.g., by including the sun's rays in the ruler's portrait). It had become increasingly difficult for Christians to function in a world in which public life, including the economic life of the trade guilds, required participation in idolatry."

Yes, it does sound scary, if you were ever forced to have it implanted under your skin. But, let's think about another 'tracking' technology that people opposed due to privacy issues...

Back in 1999, Intel was facing controversy when they decided to embed the processor serial number inside the processor itself. This raised a huge privacy concern with consumers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III...acy_issues

Due to the concern about privacy, Intel removed the PSN from any future processors.

Going back to RFID, if the same concerns are raised about privacy, you never know...people may adopt the technology if there are rules in place on preventing companies from taking advantage of it.

There is a reason to be optimistic! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2010, 06:08 AM

i for one really like the idea of having a chip in my arm i can pay with. i keep forgetting to bring my wallet with me when i go out the door. and i got nothing to hide so why not.

people can already track you down with creditcard usage if they want you surveilanced they can do it anyways. this just makes it easier for them. but a law which states it can only be used for emergencies to say find a serial killer and not for research is mandatory. for instance a study about consumerism, where we shop, how we shop and frequency of shopping. thats to creepy maybe my kids wont mind but i will still mind.
28-04-2010, 07:03 AM

I will always advocate for a synergistic fusion of technology.

Here's an idea, due to digital pings from mechanical components, when a human closes their eyes, they can 'see' other humans around themselves. Or, if we were to go as far as that, we could 'see' with a different hue perhaps, our pets, or other things like that; but the first concept still stands regardless.

Think about the possible benefits. Hunting for prey would have a considerably less likely event of injury, due to carry over shots. Looking for buried humans either via avalanche, or earthquake rubble, or just searching for a lost individual in general; would become impossibly easy, by contrast of todays methods. If combined in the appropriate manner, then we could effectively telepathically communicate with one another.

There are a plethora of potentialities from this concept alone.
28-04-2010, 09:24 AM

I am already a cyborg of sorts. I have two spinal stimulators for pain. I don't have a problem with technology in my body per se, but I'd have to think a bit more about technology that broadcasts information about me to organizations that I don't what it to. There is always the question for abuse versus benefit.