RICO Laws against churches?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Why shouldn't prosecutors use RICO laws against churches?

The RICO statutes (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) were passed to put away mobsters. The theory is that if you're part of an organization that collaborates to commit crimes - all members are tried for the actions of a few.

The Catholic Church's covering up of sexual predators in it's midst seems a perfect test vehicle.......

Damned unlikely I know -- but a guy can dream, can't he???

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-02-2015, 07:48 AM
RE: RICO Laws against churches?
Do I hear cries of christian persecution?

Damn fine idea.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-02-2015, 08:27 AM
I will support this. I can not stand petos and the people that hide them from punishment.
26-02-2015, 04:16 PM
(26-02-2015 07:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Why shouldn't prosecutors use RICO laws against churches?

The RICO statutes (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) were passed to put away mobsters. The theory is that if you're part of an organization that collaborates to commit crimes - all members are tried for the actions of a few.

The Catholic Church's covering up of sexual predators in it's midst seems a perfect test vehicle.......

Damned unlikely I know -- but a guy can dream, can't he???

Tongue

Completely agree. I had this idea a few years ago. A former law school classmate of mine is a federal prosecutor. I was pushing him a couple of years ago to go after the Church with RICO. He wasn't going for it. Some nonsense about getting fired, not having a career, blah blah blah.

It will never happen but it damn will should.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
27-02-2015, 05:51 AM
RICO is basically a law that allows to arrest various linked/connected criminals from different organizations, right? The only things I know about RICO are from American TV series

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-02-2015, 07:44 PM
It has been tried. A RICO claim was brought against a couple of bishops in, if I recall correctly, Cleveland. I don't recall the details but I do know that the case never went anywhere because of an inability to prove one of the fundamental elements of a RICO claim.
27-02-2015, 08:38 PM
(27-02-2015 07:44 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  It has been tried. A RICO claim was brought against a couple of bishops in, if I recall correctly, Cleveland. I don't recall the details but I do know that the case never went anywhere because of an inability to prove one of the fundamental elements of a RICO claim.

I did not know that, but I have a new found respect for Cleveland.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost