RIP Chris Cornell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2017, 05:24 AM
RE: RIP Chris Cornell
Sad

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
19-05-2017, 07:16 AM
I thought I would feel better today. Somehow, I feel worse. I think the hardest part for me is that, back during that time when I was so down and depressed, when I was losing god and losing any hope of my marriage getting better, Chris was there for me, down in the trenches, down in the muck and dreariness and hopelessness of it all. He understood. But I saw that he'd pulled himself together. His life was better. He was happier with his new wife and his two kids and he just seemed like this person who'd gone through hell but had made it past that. And then, all these years later, to take his own life. It's like it was just there waiting beneath the surface the whole time, waiting to pull him under. Waiting to drown him. I worry that the same could happen to me. My life is happy now, but for how long? Is there a black spot in me waiting for the right moment to consume me? This is horrible. Sad

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
19-05-2017, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 07:32 AM by OakTree500.)
Totally understand that feeling, Escape Artist.

In seeing the news this morning, on how he took his own life, and it just drove the steak deeper into my heart. Throughout my teens Chris and his music were there for me during the tough times, and especially recently with various things going on in my life. I've even made new friends because we share the same passion for his music. I didn't know he had a troubled life until very recently, at to see him enjoying life was a plus in these past few years.

I am still wiped out by this, and have chosen to listen to his music as much as possible during the next few days to help me get through it.

Quick edit: One of my favourite of his songs, from Temple of The Dog:

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
19-05-2017, 07:45 AM
I really like Four-Walled World as well.

19-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Chris' wife, Vicky has made a statement.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/c...nt-w483179

19-05-2017, 09:14 AM
(19-05-2017 09:04 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Chris' wife, Vicky has made a statement.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/c...nt-w483179
Just had a brief read of that, shocking if that turns out to be right, about his medication contributing to his mental state at the time.Sadcryface

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2017, 09:49 AM
My childhood hero and idol. rest in peace :'(
[+] 3 users Like TheUnholy's post
19-05-2017, 02:40 PM
I read your comments and I'm totally with you on that.

I have a hard time recovering for the news. It's a shock at different levels. I was into grunge into the early 90s, so I also lost one of my childhood hero. In the mid 90s I turned to metal, then to depressive metal, I got narrow minded in term of musical tastes, and stopped listened to grunge music, I was still probably too young (and didn't speak well english) to realize that grunge music was actually much more depressive than a lot of what I listened to. Anyway, during the last 15 years, my anxiety and depression had worsened, last year it completely crashed.
I feel a bit better now, trying to recover from it. While trying to recover from it, I decided that I wanted to pick things where I left them, trying to rebuild a bit of who I was when my life still had some potential, which was the 90s, so I naturally turned to what made me feel better in the 90s, so I turned again to grunge music. It helped me feel better, I realized how I missed all the good bands, and it revived memories that I felt more cool by then, clearly I failed a lot after that, but maybe I could still pick up things where I left them... Soundgarden was still there, and I found that very comforting to know they were still there, first because it made me feel like I could actually go on as if I hadn't lost all those years in depression, I was even checking Soundgarden tour dates hoping to see them live if they decided to tour in Europe (something I hadn't been able to do in the 90s), 2nd because Chris was an example of someone who seemed to have a happy life even though previous decades were very rough on him. So the loss of Chris Cornell also means to me that the 90s to which I clung are really gone, and it means that even when life seems to get better, depression is always lurking, biding its time to take you off guard.
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
20-05-2017, 01:08 AM
(19-05-2017 07:16 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I worry that the same could happen to me. My life is happy now, but for how long? Is there a black spot in me waiting for the right moment to consume me? This is horrible. Sad

No . That was Chris. That was his life. It was not yours. It is not yours.

It's a horrible thing for sure, but it can stop at that. You keep doing you, and keep awesomeness alive. That is why we're here after all. Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
20-05-2017, 09:59 AM
(20-05-2017 01:08 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 07:16 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I worry that the same could happen to me. My life is happy now, but for how long? Is there a black spot in me waiting for the right moment to consume me? This is horrible. Sad

No . That was Chris. That was his life. It was not yours. It is not yours.

It's a horrible thing for sure, but it can stop at that. You keep doing you, and keep awesomeness alive. That is why we're here after all. Cool

Thanks, even Hug