RE: RIP Margaret Thatcher
I didn't know she was still alive.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
08-04-2013, 11:44 AM
What an American friend of mine (but from Rio) just posted on his FB wall.

I saw a newspaper picture from the political campaign
A woman was kissing a child, who was obviously in pain
She spills with compassion, as that young childs
Face in her hands she grips
Can you imagine all that greed and avarice
Coming down on that childs lips

Well I hope I don't die too soon
I pray the lord my soul to save
Oh I'll be a good boy, Im trying so hard to behave
Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live
Long enough to savour
That's when they finally put you in the ground
Ill stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

When england was the whore of the world
Margeret was her madam
And the future looked as bright and as clear as
The black tarmacadam
Well I hope that she sleeps well at night, isnt
Haunted by every tiny detail
Cos when she held that lovely face in her hands
All she thought of was betrayal

And now the cynical ones say that it all ends the same in the long run
Try telling that to the desperate father who just squeezed the life from his only son
And how it's only voices in your head and dreams you never dreamt
Try telling him the subtle difference between justice and contempt
Try telling me she isn't angry with this pitiful discontent
When they flaunt it in your face as you line up for punishment
And then expect you to say thank you straighten up, look proud and pleased
Because youve only got the symptoms, you haven't got the whole disease
Just like a schoolboy, whose heads like a tin-can
Filled up with dreams then poured down the drain
Try telling that to the boys on both sides, being blown to bits or beaten and maimed
Who takes all the glory and none of the shame

Well I hope you live long now, I pray the lord your soul to keep
I think I'll be going before we fold our arms and start to weep
I never thought for a moment that human life could be so cheap
Cos when they finally put you in the ground
They'll stand there laughing and tramp the dirt down

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
08-04-2013, 12:17 PM
[Image: Frankie_zps36de421d.png]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
08-04-2013, 12:22 PM
(08-04-2013 10:35 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 10:04 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  And that makes her some kind of hero? Hell no. Take off the "oh she was a woman in a mans world " glasses and look at what she did to this country, how she ground people into the ground, sold off our assets, made our economy financial based (part of the cause of the double dip recession the uk is still suffering through),communities were torn apart, benefits Cut to the point people had a hard time feeding their families, made thousands unemployed, privatised public services, covered up a massacre in Ireland, covered up the death of fans at a football game, Supported apartheid labelling the anti apartheid movement "terrorists". Supporter of Pinochet, The Poll tax unfairly trialled on the scots in an attempt at revenge for her receiving no seats from my country.
There is so much more.

She was not a champion of women or women's rights, she was an evil person who beat this country into submission making life worse for men, women and children, she was one of the worst rulers in my countries history, over 2 decade on and the country still hasn't recovered from the damage she inflicted. The last time that happened it involved the Luftwaffe.

Not that I'm overly up on 80's politics but from what I can gather she saved the country from economic ruin.

That could be considered positive.

I don't know enough about British politics to have an opinion on them. No one is all good or all bad, and whether she intended it or not, she helped women if only by example showing that you do can enter an all male world as a woman and stand up to the opposition.

It is what I have done, too, and damn proud of it. Her opposition was a lot more hostile and the stakes were a lot bigger. It was very different for me, I enjoyed having competitors underestimate me. I needed no votes and didn't have to impress anyone with my strength, I just had to do a better job of things. It was actually advantageous to be underestimated.

She lived her life, the good, the bad and the ugly, and everyone is now going to pick and choose what they want to remember.

If she was for Apartheid then she was as ignorant about these things as millions of other ignorant people. These things are based on ignorance and superstitions, and people were indoctrinated to think that way. She was my parent's generation. Even in my generation the indoctrination persisted, we had no real information available either. Thankfully the newer generations have a lot less indoctrination in that regard, and that spells the eventual end of that disgusting display of the gullibility of humankind.

Religion, racism, homophobia, witch hunts and all of this sort of thing is all the result of indoctrination. Indoctrination is getting harder and harder to pull off with all the info that is now available to everyone. This was not available to her generation, and so she was the product of her times. It's easy to look at people who were indoctrinated and discount everything they ever did on the basis of that.

The Falkland war - I don't know much about that, but will concede it was ill conceived as were the wars the US was (is) fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and probably all wars ever fought.

Internal politics in Britain - I know nothing about them whatsoever and just see that, like internal politics in all countries, there will be people hating them and people praising them.

So that's what I am saying. Thatcher was no part of my world, and my view is from afar and I can only notice things that I can see. And the thing that stands out to me is still the fact that she walked into a man's world and stood her own. Not an easy feat at all.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-04-2013, 12:27 PM
(08-04-2013 12:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 10:35 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Not that I'm overly up on 80's politics but from what I can gather she saved the country from economic ruin.

That could be considered positive.

I don't know enough about British politics to have an opinion on them. No one is all good or all bad, and whether she intended it or not, she helped women if only by example showing that you do can enter an all male world as a woman and stand up to the opposition.

It is what I have done, too, and damn proud of it. Her opposition was a lot more hostile and the stakes were a lot bigger. It was very different for me, I enjoyed having competitors underestimate me. I needed no votes and didn't have to impress anyone with my strength, I just had to do a better job of things. It was actually advantageous to be underestimated.

She lived her life, the good, the bad and the ugly, and everyone is now going to pick and choose what they want to remember.

If she was for Apartheid then she was as ignorant about these things as millions of other ignorant people. These things are based on ignorance and superstitions, and people were indoctrinated to think that way. She was my parent's generation. Even in my generation the indoctrination persisted, we had no real information available either. Thankfully the newer generations have a lot less indoctrination in that regard, and that spells the eventual end of that disgusting display of the gullibility of humankind.

Religion, racism, homophobia, witch hunts and all of this sort of thing is all the result of indoctrination. Indoctrination is getting harder and harder to pull off with all the info that is now available to everyone. This was not available to her generation, and so she was the product of her times. It's easy to look at people who were indoctrinated and discount everything they ever did on the basis of that.

The Falkland war - I don't know much about that, but will concede it was ill conceived as were the wars the US was (is) fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and probably all wars ever fought.

Internal politics in Britain - I know nothing about them whatsoever and just see that, like internal politics in all countries, there will be people hating them and people praising them.

So that's what I am saying. Thatcher was no part of my world, and my view is from afar and I can only notice things that I can see. And the thing that stands out to me is still the fact that she walked into a man's world and stood her own. Not an easy feat at all.

That is probably the most superficial position to take then. Knowing nothing of her actual actions or positions you have objectified her as being nothing more than the sum of her sexual organs. If anything she was as bad to the feminist movement as Clarence Thomas has been to the struggle for equal rights in America.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Maybe I should have heard some of what our cousins across the pond had to say about her before wishing our next president (maybe a female one) would emulate her! Tell me, my British friends, did I miss the Wipe in which Charlie Brooker called her a cunt and listed the reasons? Wink

08-04-2013, 12:55 PM
As the legendary Kenny Everett once said:

"When Britain was an Empire we were ruled by an emperor.
When we became a kingdom we were ruled by a king.
And now we're a country we're ruled by Margaret Thatcher."

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
(08-04-2013 12:31 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Maybe I should have heard some of what our cousins across the pond had to say about her before wishing our next president (maybe a female one) would emulate her! Tell me, my British friends, did I miss the Wipe in which Charlie Brooker called her a cunt and listed the reasons? Wink

Who the heck said anyone should emulate her? Not me!!!

She paved a path is all. No one ever has to pave it again, nor does anyone ever have to do anything else she ever did.

Don't put words in my mouth!

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-04-2013, 02:19 PM
(08-04-2013 12:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 12:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't know enough about British politics to have an opinion on them. No one is all good or all bad, and whether she intended it or not, she helped women if only by example showing that you do can enter an all male world as a woman and stand up to the opposition.

That is probably the most superficial position to take then. Knowing nothing of her actual actions or positions you have objectified her as being nothing more than the sum of her sexual organs. If anything she was as bad to the feminist movement as Clarence Thomas has been to the struggle for equal rights in America.

The sum of her sexual organs? Is that what you think makes a woman take the position is society she has been assigned? Interesting.

Did I say she had anything to do with the feminist movement?

I must be possessed by a demon and in need of exorcism if I did!

08-04-2013, 02:27 PM
(08-04-2013 02:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 12:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  That is probably the most superficial position to take then. Knowing nothing of her actual actions or positions you have objectified her as being nothing more than the sum of her sexual organs. If anything she was as bad to the feminist movement as Clarence Thomas has been to the struggle for equal rights in America.

The sum of her sexual organs? Is that what you think makes a woman take the position is society she has been assigned? Interesting.

Did I say she had anything to do with the feminist movement?

I must be possessed by a demon and in need of exorcism if I did!
The power of nothing compels you! The power of nothing compels you!

Not the new user, nothing, just nothing-nothing.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post