RIP Margaret Thatcher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 02:27 PM
RE: RIP Margaret Thatcher
(08-04-2013 08:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  Whatever else all she has done, I am grateful to her. She advanced the status of women in society by leaps and bounds.

(08-04-2013 02:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  Did I say she had anything to do with the feminist movement?

I must be possessed by a demon and in need of exorcism if I did!

I'll find you a young priest and an old priest but we need someone to watch the priests

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
(08-04-2013 02:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 08:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  Whatever else all she has done, I am grateful to her. She advanced the status of women in society by leaps and bounds.

(08-04-2013 02:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  Did I say she had anything to do with the feminist movement?

I'll find you a young priest and an old priest but we need someone to watch the priests

Where does it say there that she was a feminist or in any way involved with the feminist movement? She may have paved a path solely for selfish and even despicable reasons. The fact is that she paved a path, and whatever else she may have done does not nullify that fact.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-04-2013, 02:33 PM
(08-04-2013 02:27 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 02:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  The sum of her sexual organs? Is that what you think makes a woman take the position is society she has been assigned? Interesting.

Did I say she had anything to do with the feminist movement?

The power of nothing compels you! The power of nothing compels you!

Not the new user, nothing, just nothing-nothing.

You lost me there... huh???????????

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-04-2013, 02:34 PM
(08-04-2013 02:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 02:27 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  The power of nothing compels you! The power of nothing compels you!

Oh, lol! Nothing = god. Sorry, I don't know how exorcisms are worded. I get it now.

Still misplaced, I never said she was a feminist.

08-04-2013, 02:34 PM
(08-04-2013 02:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 02:27 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  The power of nothing compels you! The power of nothing compels you!

That was humor. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-04-2013, 02:36 PM
(08-04-2013 02:34 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 02:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  You lost me there... huh???????????
That was humor. Big Grin

Simultaneous posting, and I am not up to par on my exorcisms, lol.

08-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Don't put words in my mouth!
[/quote]

I wasn't directing anything at you Dom. I was putting my own words from another thread into MY mouth. I never knew all that much about her other than her nickname was "The Iron Lady". I might have wanted to look into it though, given certain famous curtains, and perfectly lethal shortswords have been made, in the past, with the same ferrous metal.

08-04-2013, 02:50 PM
(08-04-2013 02:47 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Don't put words in my mouth!

Quote:I wasn't directing anything at you Dom. I was putting my own words from another thread into MY mouth. I never knew all that much about her other than her nickname was "The Iron Lady". I might have wanted to look into it though, given certain famous curtains, and perfectly lethal shortswords have been made, in the past, with the same ferrous metal.

Sorry, my bad. Bowing

08-04-2013, 03:35 PM
(08-04-2013 12:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  The Falkland war - I don't know much about that, but will concede it was ill conceived as were the wars the US was (is) fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and probably all wars ever fought.

You can't compare the Falklands War to Iraq or Afghanistan.

The Falklands Islands are British land, populated by people who want them to remain under British control. Argentina's attack on them was a straight up invasion of our territory. Thatcher was completely right to reclaim them.

It would be like someone invading and occupying Hawaii. Of course America would fight to take it back.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
08-04-2013, 04:01 PM
(08-04-2013 12:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  ... she helped women if only by example showing that you to can enter an all male world as a woman and stand up to the opposition.

I kind of have to agree with Dom on that; until that time, there were nearly no women on equal footing in high offices. Even the so called "sexual revolution" did little for women and often made women in general - at least in the US - the butt of the socio-political power joke.
When she began, I recall being kind of excited about having a female leader of a western world power. I also recall that the old fossils in DC were so aghast that many exclaimed with astonishment that 'wow, a woman might actually be able to do the same job as a man.'. Well, duh. What can I say; I love my country but it's power base has always been extraordinarily backward and extremely sexist.

However, I do have extremely mixed feelings on the subject. As a woman, I highly commend her for her unshakable show of strength but after she took power and did what she did... I condemn her for her inhumanity to her fellow human beings. I find her actions to be most unworthy of her even being referred to as a woman.

I try to look at the historical perspective. I'm sure a lot of people either supported or hated Napoleon's guts for the destruction he brought about and I find Thatcher's actions to be no more or less efficiently destructive. It will be a while before the general consensus takes her contribution and molds it into what it needs to make history say.

Some shit only ever changes in unnoticed increments. Drinking Beverage

I loved The Clash

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post