RIP Margaret Thatcher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 04:08 PM
RE: RIP Margaret Thatcher
(08-04-2013 03:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 12:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  The Falkland war - I don't know much about that, but will concede it was ill conceived as were the wars the US was (is) fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and probably all wars ever fought.

You can't compare the Falklands War to Iraq or Afghanistan.

The Falklands Islands are British land, populated by people who want them to remain under British control. Argentina's attack on them was a straight up invasion of our territory. Thatcher was completely right to reclaim them.

It would be like someone invading and occupying Hawaii. Of course America would fight to take it back.

I was thinking of all wars - I think wars are ill conceived, period. Unfortunately there is always someone to start one, and it can't be controlled. I hope humankind won't die out before it gets to a point in societal evolution that is void of wars.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-04-2013, 04:21 PM
(08-04-2013 04:08 PM)Dom Wrote:  I was thinking of all wars - I think wars are ill conceived, period. Unfortunately there is always someone to start one, and it can't be controlled. I hope humankind won't die out before it gets to a point in societal evolution that is void of wars.

I can't imagine humanity will ever be devoid of war.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-04-2013, 04:30 PM
(08-04-2013 04:21 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 04:08 PM)Dom Wrote:  I was thinking of all wars - I think wars are ill conceived, period. Unfortunately there is always someone to start one, and it can't be controlled. I hope humankind won't die out before it gets to a point in societal evolution that is void of wars.

I can't imagine humanity will ever be devoid of war.

Dreaming, I know.

But what is different now is the internet and cell phones/cameras.

Communications can barely be controlled anymore, even in countries that try to squelch it totally.

Information can be distributed so much easier - without censorship.

People from all over the world are getting together online because they have something in common, not just in this forum but all kinds of forums, twitter, Facebook and what have you.

It will blur the borders eventually.

That's my hope anyway.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
And this is what another FB friend just posted, with the caption: together@last Rolleyes

[Image: 58582_10152729686255137_550118251_n.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
08-04-2013, 05:59 PM
(08-04-2013 03:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 12:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  The Falkland war - I don't know much about that, but will concede it was ill conceived as were the wars the US was (is) fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and probably all wars ever fought.

You can't compare the Falklands War to Iraq or Afghanistan.

The Falklands Islands are British land, populated by people who want them to remain under British control. Argentina's attack on them was a straight up invasion of our territory. Thatcher was completely right to reclaim them.

It would be like someone invading and occupying Hawaii. Of course America would fight to take it back.

A more accurate comparison would be the Solomon Islands.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't know much about Thatcher except that there is a site about whether she is dead or not, and it always said "No", only changing today. Today was the one time the site was wrong.

My beautiful artwork was inspired by that.

[Image: rip_margaret_thatcher_by_ls_jebus-d60x7u1.png]

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
08-04-2013, 07:26 PM
(08-04-2013 07:04 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I don't know much about Thatcher except that there is a site about whether she is dead or not, and it always said "No", only changing today. Today was the one time the site was wrong.

My beautiful artwork was inspired by that.

[Image: rip_margaret_thatcher_by_ls_jebus-d60x7u1.png]

I think you'll find it was right Big Grin

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
08-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Of course it has changed - that was the one thing the site was about. I mean that, for a short time today, Margaret Thatcher was dead and the site said she wasn't.

My picture is her informing them that they could change it to "Yes" finally.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
08-04-2013, 08:21 PM
wow, feel the love in this thread...

My knowledge of Thatcher starts and ends at her part in the Falkland War, of whom I am sure are grateful to her for saving their butts. But to say that without her in power the Falklands would now be under Argentinian control is a far stretch.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
09-04-2013, 04:05 PM
(08-04-2013 07:04 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  [Image: rip_margaret_thatcher_by_ls_jebus-d60x7u1.png]
Nice job Eleljei!
Sadcryface
Fucking spooky though... she's obviously alive... but she kinda looks dead.

Confused The thought of her becoming a zombie wouldn't be much of a change.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post