RIP Margaret Thatcher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2013, 08:17 PM
RE: RIP Margaret Thatcher
(14-04-2013 08:04 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  What hughsie said ^

Basically the voting system in the uk works like this.

Say there is 10 people voting with a choice of 10 party's one party got 2 votes, one party gets no votes the other 7 parties get one vote each. The party that got the 2 votes would be the winner Even though the majority of the votes wasn't for them.

Basically it's a system that doesn't fairly represent the views of the majority of voters.

Thats the Parliamentary System. The US uses a 2 party system that has it's own issues. The American system tends to result in hemogoney between the 2 main parties (the actual difference between the Republicans and the Democrats is not really as big as the media would like you to believe) since they are fighting over voters in the middle. The UK system however tends to result in a lot of very focused groups that don't really have the pull to win by themselves but can team up with like minded parties for coalitions. So in the US system you can be disenfranchised by 2 massive parties that care more about corporate interests than the citizen. In the UK system you can be disenfranchised by have 70% of the people vote against the eventual party that wins power.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2013, 08:39 PM
RE: RIP Margaret Thatcher
Quote:Over here it's the first past the post system.

Say no more. FPP is fucking retarded. I'm glad we changed from it to MMP (mixed member parliament) in 91'.
MMP is a much fairer system. The system the Japs use seems (in theory) pretty fair too actually. Can't remember what it's called, it's a variation of MMP.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply