RIP, Victor John Stenger

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2014, 03:03 PM
RIP, Victor John Stenger
Victor Stenger died August 27.

Victor John Stenger was an American particle physicist, philosopher, author, and religious skeptic. Following a career as a research scientist in the field of particle physics, Stenger was associated with New Atheism and he also authored popular science books. He published twelve books for general audiences on physics, quantum mechanics, cosmology, philosophy, religion, atheism, and pseudoscience, including the 2007 best-seller God: The Failed Hypothesis: How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist. His final book was God and the Atom: From Democritus to the Higgs Boson (2013).

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
31-08-2014, 03:05 PM
RE: RIP, Victor John Stenger
Can anyone give me a rundown on his Failed Hypothesis book?

Is it worth a read?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
Find all posts by this user
31-08-2014, 03:08 PM
(31-08-2014 03:05 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Can anyone give me a rundown on his Failed Hypothesis book?

Is it worth a read?

It is an excellent book, well worth the read. He uses the tools of science to dismantle the common conceptions of the God of monotheism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
31-08-2014, 03:58 PM
(31-08-2014 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Victor Stenger died August 27.

Victor John Stenger was an American particle physicist, philosopher, author, and religious skeptic. Following a career as a research scientist in the field of particle physics, Stenger was associated with New Atheism and he also authored popular science books. He published twelve books for general audiences on physics, quantum mechanics, cosmology, philosophy, religion, atheism, and pseudoscience, including the 2007 best-seller God: The Failed Hypothesis: How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist. His final book was God and the Atom: From Democritus to the Higgs Boson (2013).

I'm surprised it hasn't been "documented" yet that he had a deathbed conversion and turn to Jebus with his dying breath.

We need more like him.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Quote:Victor Stenger died August 27.

Oh my God !

I appreciated his debates & books - may his legacy be remembered & appreciated.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
03-09-2014, 10:00 PM
"Whilst science flies us to the moon religion flies us into buildings" I cannot recall if that is a direct quote from Stenger himself or whether he simply quoted someone else either way I am sure it come up in one of his books.

I was quite sad when I heard the news but thankful that I have several of his books in my collection

Thank you Victor Stenger