Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 07:40 AM
Rabbit God Duck God
Hi Thinking Atheists,

I recently shared/posted the following picture on Facebook:

[Image: GBxqls0.jpg]

Fairly promptly, I got the following response from a Christian friend:

Whereas atheist regimes have such a great record of tolerance towards their ideological or spiritual opponents.

I'd like to rebut his statement in the gentlest, most succinct, and most easily logical way possible. Ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 09:41 AM
RE: Rabbit God Duck God
Take a gander at the following

http://www.godlessinamerica.com/onatheis...ities.html

Excerpt:

"So the argument that atheism is somehow responsible for the atrocities committed by various totalitarian regimes in the 20th century fails for several reasons. Atheism offers no rationale for committing such acts. Most of the atrocities in question had nothing to do with questions of religious belief or its lack. Finally, while atheism may not itself offer any sort of moral guidance, that does not mean that atheists lack morals or are immune from moral strictures.

Conflating atheism with communist regimes and then claiming the atrocities committed by those regimes is somehow the fault of atheism is an intellectual shell game that has no real validity. Those who engage in it do so either because they do not understand the nature of atheism or because they are more interested in clouding issues than in promoting genuine understanding.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
19-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Or you could go with...

"No, no, you misunderstand. We are more than happy for you to carry on killing each other."

Yes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
19-01-2015, 11:56 AM
So I guess this rabbit/duck thing is supposed to be like another take on the story of blind men touching different parts of the same elephant and describing it in different ways, for those people who like to put COEXIST bumper stickers on the backs of their cars.

A lot of those same people like to say things like "Well, I'm glad you're not an atheist, so you do at least believe in something."
I do believe in something, it's called reality.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
19-01-2015, 12:20 PM
There is no "in the name of atheism" in atheism.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
21-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Does ISIS kill people because they do not convert to islam? Yes.
Did crusaders kill muslims because they didn't convert to christianity? Yes.
Did Christians in the middle ages kill jews who did convert to christianity? Yes.
Did catholics and protestants kill each other in the 100 years war because they did not convert to their brand of christianity? Yes.
Did communists kill people because they did not convert to atheism? No.
21-01-2015, 12:06 PM
I saw the duck first, therefore it is the one true one! Bowing

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
21-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Rabbit God Duck God
You're wrong. This is the true home. Paul, the brewmaster there, is the One True Prophet.

Therefore, beer.
[Image: 9dcff03914f4100760cabd4e2c5fc2ff.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
21-01-2015, 02:26 PM
It's also a take on the Island rivalry of Guilvers Travels where they fight over which side of the egg is the correct way to break the egg.

Oh its just basically the division that was stupid and true about Catholicism and other Christians.

I'd simply respond saying, yep almost all ideological thoughts are going to lead to idiotic command when people follow it because it's a system to follow.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson