Race and Reering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 04:59 PM
RE: Race and Reering
(27-02-2014 04:44 PM)virtual Wrote:  I have kids in middle and elementary school. They attend a diverse school where 30% of kids are white, and then there is everything else, I mean, Hispanic, Arab, Indian, Asian... We are very racially accepting people and we never had any talk with them. Sometimes when I hear them make a racial slur we tell them it's not good to judge people by skin color. But there is not a need for grinding about race, it will just drive the kids to start talking about race at school. The less you talk about race to the kids, the less they will think about it. And it also depends on your own behavior. If you are always making racial slurs then they will, but if you don't talk about race then they won't either.

Not to sound snotty, but this really isn't an option here. Most anyone else in the Deep South can tell you that race is an issue and that many prejudices are still thriving.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 05:09 PM
(27-02-2014 04:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 04:44 PM)virtual Wrote:  I have kids in middle and elementary school. They attend a diverse school where 30% of kids are white, and then there is everything else, I mean, Hispanic, Arab, Indian, Asian... We are very racially accepting people and we never had any talk with them. Sometimes when I hear them make a racial slur we tell them it's not good to judge people by skin color. But there is not a need for grinding about race, it will just drive the kids to start talking about race at school. The less you talk about race to the kids, the less they will think about it. And it also depends on your own behavior. If you are always making racial slurs then they will, but if you don't talk about race then they won't either.

Not to sound snotty, but this really isn't an option here. Most anyone else in the Deep South can tell you that race is an issue and that many prejudices are still thriving.
I was assuming you were white. You also already mention your child already plays with kids of all races. He/she will be going to school with kids he/she already plays with. It will just be the same. I think you are stressing too much over this. What is your fear? I live in Kansas where blacks and whites still live in separate neighborhood and avoid each other, except for certain areas. Besides, your kid will likely be in school with neighborhood kids that he/she is friend with already.

I don't dislike you, I simply don't care.
27-02-2014, 05:12 PM
(27-02-2014 04:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  KC,

I don't have kids but as a child I was absolutely changed when I saw this program

One Friday in April, 1968
Producer William Peters, in this first chapter of his book A Class Divided: Then and Now (Yale University Press, 1987), relates the story behind Jane Elliott's decision to teach a daring "blue-eyes/brown-eyes" lesson in discrimination to her class of third graders.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...riday.html

I am unable to play the documentary but I'll continue to search for it.

*FOUND IT!

This is more compelling then the Stanford Prison experiment, as it shows how the child's mind can be indoctrinated and self indoctrinated into prejudice so quickly.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
27-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Thank you for posting that, just watched it with my two girls.

Great lesson especially since I have one blue eyed girl and one brown eyed.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
27-02-2014, 08:35 PM
(27-02-2014 05:12 PM)sporehux Wrote:  This is more compelling then the Stanford Prison experiment, as it shows how the child's mind can be indoctrinated and self indoctrinated into prejudice so quickly.

It is amazing to watch how quickly people can turn on one another but it also is great to see how quickly they band together. We are a strange bunch.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-02-2014, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2014 10:50 PM by Anjele.)
Answer questions as they come up. PrinceChosen will guide the need for explanation.

When my girls were little we moved from an Iowa cornfield to a southern Arizona military town. My oldest started school there. My first memory of her bringing up anything race-wise was when describing a classmate to me as 'one of the brown kids'. She saw no other difference than that she was blondish and blue-eyed and she suddenly saw kids that were every color of the rainbow. It never was an issue.

Let the little prince lead any discussion. You really can't prep your kids for everything they may encounter. And some things that could be an issue may never be an issue at all.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-02-2014, 10:43 PM
He's a very smart kid. If he already knows and plays with lots of diverse kids, he already has what he needs to know to generalize from his own experience.

But I wouldn't teach him to reer when he races. Definitely not.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-02-2014, 03:28 AM
KC, #2, DEFINITELY. You have to talk to your kiddos about racial issues and let them know that not only is it wrong to judge other people by the color of their skin (which I think you have already accomplished), but ALSO that other, less enlightened children themselves will mistakenly and ignorantly judge others by their skin color, but also attempt to suck your children into that bullshit through peer pressure, intimidation etc. LET THEM KNOW WHAT THEY ARE IN FOR, AS BEST YOU CAN. You have set them up with a good foundation, but there is still a racist cultural war going on, and your kiddos need to know that, and need any tools you can think to offer them to deal with it.

Talk to them early and often, and let them know that you are doing the best you can in offering them the best options you can think of to deal with whatever comes up with them and with the struggles they and their friends of color are going through. And for chrissaske, if your kid stands up and defends one of his/her friends and a) gets in trouble or b) gets beaten up/hurt/suspended/expelled/villified/ostracized/fucking WHATEVER, for gawdsakes, fight for that kiddo tooth and nail, right up to the fucking Supreme Court.

#2, #2, #2, fucking ZILLLA. Teach your children to fight/resist racism. Let them know it's not enough to passively sit by while others denigrate their fellow students. And give them every ounce of your support and every tool you can think of to offer in that endeavor.

Look, man, here you are, a Calvinist Christian, standing your ground for your religious beliefs in an atheist forum. Alright, but as far as I can tell, you and I, both of us more or less Looziana Crackers, agree COMPLETELY that racism is wrong. I guess that what I am trying to say, is that I wouldn't push my child into a fight, but I would encourage them to stand their moral ground, and to stand up for their friends if they feel they can do so, and I would back them to the hilt if they do. I would encourage you to do the same.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
28-02-2014, 07:53 AM
(28-02-2014 03:28 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  KC, #2, DEFINITELY. You have to talk to your kiddos about racial issues and let them know that not only is it wrong to judge other people by the color of their skin (which I think you have already accomplished), but ALSO that other, less enlightened children themselves will mistakenly and ignorantly judge others by their skin color, but also attempt to suck your children into that bullshit through peer pressure, intimidation etc. LET THEM KNOW WHAT THEY ARE IN FOR, AS BEST YOU CAN. You have set them up with a good foundation, but there is still a racist cultural war going on, and your kiddos need to know that, and need any tools you can think to offer them to deal with it.

Talk to them early and often, and let them know that you are doing the best you can in offering them the best options you can think of to deal with whatever comes up with them and with the struggles they and their friends of color are going through. And for chrissaske, if your kid stands up and defends one of his/her friends and a) gets in trouble or b) gets beaten up/hurt/suspended/expelled/villified/ostracized/fucking WHATEVER, for gawdsakes, fight for that kiddo tooth and nail, right up to the fucking Supreme Court.

#2, #2, #2, fucking ZILLLA. Teach your children to fight/resist racism. Let them know it's not enough to passively sit by while others denigrate their fellow students. And give them every ounce of your support and every tool you can think of to offer in that endeavor.

Look, man, here you are, a Calvinist Christian, standing your ground for your religious beliefs in an atheist forum. Alright, but as far as I can tell, you and I, both of us more or less Looziana Crackers, agree COMPLETELY that racism is wrong. I guess that what I am trying to say, is that I wouldn't push my child into a fight, but I would encourage them to stand their moral ground, and to stand up for their friends if they feel they can do so, and I would back them to the hilt if they do. I would encourage you to do the same.

As weird as our online relationship has been, Taq, I thank you for this. Strangely, you and I seem to share a similar mentality. I got into a lot of fight in middle school and high school... not defending myself, but defending people that got picked on. I had a large... very large, older brother that toughened me up and taught me to fight and stand up for what I thought was right.

I'm passing that down to my kids as well... and yes, if my son got in trouble for defending someone, you better believe I would fight for him... all the way up to the Supreme Court if need be.

Hmmm. It's strange the commonalities you find in people when you think you don't have a lot in common.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
28-02-2014, 09:26 AM
(27-02-2014 04:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Race is still an issue all over the US, not just the south. Some of the most racially divided cities are in the north.

People of different races look different. No way to get around that. Just keep working on making it an issues that is no bigger than hair color with your kids.