Race and sex...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Race and sex...
Most of you have the ability to use reason to get to the bottom of things so I thought I'd lay this on you.
I work with a German guy who is white and a Haitian guy who is black (their skin colours are relevant to the situation).
The German is an old guy who is kind of a hard ass. He's very forward, the kind of guy that says what thinks and means what he says. The Haitian is much younger but is pretty well the same kind of person.
The German is the Haitian guys boss.
I am the union rep.
The German was giving the Haitian a hard time for not working and the Haitian fought back by saying the German was harassing him. Naturally I was called in to the office to try and straighten out the mess.
There was some talk about how the Haitian should respect his leader and how the German should be more diplomatic.
But soon it became a shit show.
The Haitian accused the German of racism. The German scoffed and then the Haitian turned to me and said "60% of white Canadians are racist." You might imagine that I didn't care for this statement but I simply asked him if he could back up the statement with evidence. The German interrupted and said "even if that's true I'm not Canadian and I'm married to a black woman."
The Haitian said that none of that mattered. He said "women don't count in this."
At that point I told both guys the same thing the manager said at the beginning of the meeting (respecting the leader and being diplomatic) and put a stop to the meeting. All there is left to do now is to investigate as much as possible and to keep an eye on both guys. I have to keep an eye on both in the interest of fairness.
Given this information how do you feel about the situation? Is the Haitian guy coming off as a misogynist? Can the German guy be a racist if he's married to someone of a different race?
Any perspective is welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2014, 04:15 PM
RE: Race and sex...
Sometimes, you just don't like somebody because a/he's an asshole, not because of the color of their skin.

Good luck sorting that out.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
24-08-2014, 09:06 PM
He's not a racist because he's married to a black women, he's not a racist because he hasn't done anything racist...
If the young guy was slacking off and the older guy gave him shit for it than that's not racist...
The younger guy however sounds like a sexiest (maybe racist) douchebag.

Sure some people don't get along but I doubt many people get along with the young guy. "women don't count" what a douchebag, fuck off.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
24-08-2014, 09:33 PM
A referee at a pissing contest. Thumbsup

Glad I don't have your job.

Give them both the same answer.

If you think he is slacking off, you have to prove it.
If you think he's racist, you have to prove it
Or you both can STFU and get back to work.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
24-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Yeah, if someone who doesn't have a track record of being racist calls out an employee for doing a bad job, and said employee immediately pulls the race card..... Undecided doesn't sound like a race issue. The fact that the guy has a wife of that race does give him some points. I say good call on watching them both.

And like muffs said, his comment automatically makes him douchey, so that might shed a little light on this guy's character too.

Are the manager's complaints about the worker documented and justified? If so, I think you know everything you need to know about this situation.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
24-08-2014, 09:41 PM
(24-08-2014 09:35 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, if someone who doesn't have a track record of being racist calls out an employee for doing a bad job, and said employee immediately pulls the race card..... Undecided doesn't sound like a race issue. The fact that the guy has a wife of that race does give him some points. I say good call on watching them both.

And like muffs said, his comment automatically makes him douchey, so that might shed a little light on this guy's character too.

Are the manager's complaints about the worker documented and justified? If so, I think you know everything you need to know about this situation.

honk? Tongue ETA: you changed it on me!
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
24-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Haha now YOU look silly Tongue

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
25-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Given your unfortunate position, all you can really do is assume that the manager's assessment of the employee's performance is valid. As a manager, he's allotted certain discretionary trust and would really have no reason to raise an issue if there wasn't some semblance of truth to it.

As far as race, are there any other black employees under this manager who aren't being accused of not working?

Regarding the misogynist piece... I don't think he was intending to undermine women in his statement, but rather try and dismiss the fact that who he's married to doesn't impact how he feels about men of a particular race. I have a feeling it was an off-the-cuff statement that he hadn't really put much thought into before making. He was embarrassed that his racism claim was so easily refuted and immediately spewed the first thing that came to mind.

As Smercury said, be sure to document the claims and keep an eye open. Maybe covertly talk to a few other workers to get an unbiased perspective of the situation.

JhaeL - This Atheist (Original Atheism Rap)
25-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Fire the black guy.

It's traditional.

Dodgy

25-08-2014, 11:01 AM
From what I can see,
  • The Haitian guy's accusations of racism seem unfounded (at least, he hasn't given any evidence), and
  • him busting out the stat that 60% of whites in Canada are racist (true or not) is racist when he uses it as evidence of the German guy's racism.

Saying "60% of white Canadians are racist" is a statement of fact (assuming it's true). Jumping from that to "therefore, I'm going to assume this white guy is racist" is, in fact, racism. Maybe there's something to what he's saying, but based on what you've said, the Haitian guy is being a complete asshole.
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post