Rachel Maddow AMA Open on Reddit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/19..._anything/

There're some interesting questions and so far it's worth reading through. If you hurry, you might even be able to get your own question answered if you have one...

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Remember when a centrist guy became the head of msnbc and they fired or "quit" the more leftist elements of the hosts at that time? And remember how the ones still there of course toned it down and stopped being a bad lefty. Is msnbc worth watching or is Maddow still a sell out?
08-03-2013, 12:14 PM
RE: Rachel Maddow tiAMA Open on Reddit
(08-03-2013 11:53 AM)I and I Wrote:  Remember when a centrist guy became the head of msnbc and they fired or "quit" the more leftist elements of the hosts at that time? And remember how the ones still there of course toned it down and stopped being a bad lefty. Is msnbc worth watching or is Maddow still a sell out?
I find Maddow the only show worth watching on MSNBC.. Mostly becasue they spend a decent amount of time every show doing investigative journalism about obscure news stories or issues counter how people's stances have been notably bs over the years. There still is a bit much of her being giddy and giggly for some politicians though... but it especially stands out next to a blowhard like Ed Schultz or a 110% biased Al Sharpton who thinks anyone opposed to his beliefs are using magical thinking... coming form a baptist minister makes that quite ironic to hear.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
08-03-2013, 12:21 PM
RE: Rachel Maddow AMA Open on Reddit
(08-03-2013 11:53 AM)I and I Wrote:  Remember when a centrist guy became the head of msnbc and they fired or "quit" the more leftist elements of the hosts at that time? And remember how the ones still there of course toned it down and stopped being a bad lefty. Is msnbc worth watching or is Maddow still a sell out?

Not sure what series of incidents you're referring to. Keith Olbermann? Keith had some great criticisms of the Bush administration several years ago and was clearly left-leaning (ok he was completely partisan, in my opinion) but I can remember at the time being so angry at Bush and the right for situation they put our nation in that I didn't care. By the time the election coverage starting reaching a fever pitch during the democratic primaries it was clear that Olbermann had picked his side with Obama over Clinton (which frustrated me, being a Clinton supporter). Both he an Chris Matthews were together on this, and probably several other hosts at the time. Anyway, it was then that I stopped watching MSNBC for several years. Sometime in 2010 or 2011 MSNBC dropped Olbermann after his suspension for violating an MSNBC policy regarding a campaign contribution or something along those lines.

I started watching Maddow about a year ago and I personally don't think she's a sell-out. She's a very intelligent news commentator/journalist. She is a liberal, there is no doubt about that. Her show is definitely worth watching in my opinion. If you haven't seen it yet, watch the documentary She and her team did called "Hubris", about the events which lead the US to war with Iraq (or rather, how US government leadership deliberately drew us into war with Iraq). It confirms a lot of what some of us suspected during the Bush years but had no proof for (I can remember going on quite a few long rants about it myself back then).

Anyway, another show worth watching in my opinion is Melissa Harris-Perry's show.

08-03-2013, 12:36 PM
I was. Critiquing msnbc because it was too conservative, the hosts get to throw a few liberal bones out every once and a while, but the channel is basically an anti-leftist and anti-conservative channel. When the Iraq war started Phil donahues show had the highest ratings on the network but since he was too critical of bush and the Iraq war, they fired him.
08-03-2013, 01:53 PM
(08-03-2013 11:53 AM)I and I Wrote:  Is msnbc worth watching or is Maddow still a sell out?

I like her, but Rachel Maddow is kind of a joke.

MSNBC really doesn't deserve to be a news organization, and Rachel definitely doesn't fall under the category of objective or quality. When talking about the downfall and collapse of quality journalism and objectivity, she is part of the problem, not part of the solution. She rants, she is opinionated, and she isn't serious; it seems like she is trying to be like Jon Stewart, and I would definitely rather watch the Daily Show, as it at least makes me laugh, even if that's just because I feel obligated.

Like I said, though, I really do like her, and see her as having potential, if she actually wanted to work toward that end. Maybe she is a sellout, but I really wouldn't want to make that call.

The only show I like is Fareed Zakaria's GPS, once a week. If not that, I'll just go directly to C-Span.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
08-03-2013, 02:11 PM
I also Like Chris Hays, but I rarely watch his show. Sometimes he covers for Maddow when she's out.

Personally, I like that Maddow isn't entirely straight serious. Her giddy lighthearted attitude toward some things is entertaining and a bit disarming; when the subject matter can be so infuriating she can bring about her point with a method that leaves me feeling less bitter than I would at a straight news cast- or if O'Reilly said it. I suppose a little like Jon Stewart, but with a little less levity.

08-03-2013, 04:08 PM
(08-03-2013 02:11 PM)kineo Wrote:  I also Like Chris Hays, but I rarely watch his show. Sometimes he covers for Maddow when she's out.

Personally, I like that Maddow isn't entirely straight serious. Her giddy lighthearted attitude toward some things is entertaining and a bit disarming; when the subject matter can be so infuriating she can bring about her point with a method that leaves me feeling less bitter than I would at a straight news cast- or if O'Reilly said it. I suppose a little like Jon Stewart, but with a little less levity.

I like some others from the channel, as well.

For me, it just seems like every time I turn it there, it's like a Daily Show without the comedy. It's not a secret that they are taking it down a level, on purpose, because they want to compete with Fox News and get viewers, but to me, to the art of journalism in general, it's just totally disrespectful, especially when they have the potential and resources to do a lot more.

The world is a extremely serious place, and there isn't a shortage of issues to cover. All I see, however, is them putting up clips of Republicans, or running stories on Republicans, and then with their bias, making fun of the views from the other side and/or calling them absurd. Or I'll see the same issues, over and over, with the same bland, bias views on each.

I can watch the Stewart and Colbert for that type of stuff. When I turn it to a channel that is supposed to be covering news, I don't want to see that kind of stuff. I don't want to hear about why these people are crazy, and this side has the better views. I want to see objective journalism. I want to see the issues presented, real and quality stories, with the problems displayed and explained, then I want to see solutions provided, with the grown up discussions and panels of professionals and experts.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
11-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Who would name their son Rachel?
12-03-2013, 09:53 PM
The fact that they gave al sharpton a TV show makes me sick fuck that racist. MSNBC is run by a bunch of self hating white liberals fuck them. I am proud of my white heritage. SLAVA!
[+] 1 user Likes panterasr9's post