Racism In Skyrim

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
RE: Racism In Skyrim
Smartass

The racism is clearly intentional, not because the developers at Bethesda are racist, but from a purely lore based conceit. The Nords of Skyrim have a long and violent history with the Dunmer of Vardenfell. In the context of the game, the Red Mountain at the center of Morrowind has erupted and made large swaths of Vardenfell uninhabitable, causing a large exodus of Dunmer refugees to settle in surrounding nations including Skyrim. Also the greater Empire is weaker than it has ever been, having been in a protracted war with the separatists Altmer and Bossmer of the Aldmeri Dominion, effectively setting up a competing empire of their own centered in the Sumerset Isles.

It is in this context that the Nords of Skyrim find themselves, their traditional way of life is being upended. There is a massive influx of their long time adversaries from Vardenfell. The other two elven races are part of an empire that has their own Empire on the ropes, and got the signing of a treaty that outlawed the worship of Talos. So not only is their country filled with foreigners, but also marauding groups of officially sanctioned heretic hunters on the look out to arrest and torture anyone worshiping Talos (a man risen to the divine). They feel as if their nation, and indeed their very culture, is being besieged. In this backdrop there are those seeking perseverance and adaptation (those siding with the Empire), and those seeking independence so that they need not bow to anyone's will (the rebels).

Now the fun part is, that the rebels loose almost all sympathy they could have gotten because they are extremely racist and xenophobic. They are not so much the revolting colonists of the American Revolution, so much as the slave owners of the Confederate south. The game tries to illustrate how complex issues are poorly matched by simple reactionary ideology. This is illustrated further by centrists and pragmatics like Jarl Balgruuf of Whiterun, whose primary concern is not for ideology but rather the safety of his people.

Skyrim the game certainly contains racism, but it's meant as commentary and a story telling device.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Meh, at least the Redguard don't get bonuses to lock-picking and pickpocketing or feeding on the welfare system or get added health bonuses when eating watermelon and fried chicken.
That would be racist.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
03-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Re: Racism In Skyrim
Something i've never grasped.. what's the natural home territory and climate of the Redguard like? Does it fit to a reason they may be prone to greater athleticism and have dark skin?

Nords are obviously from Skyrim which ties to their nature and Khajits are from jungles(I think)

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
04-09-2013, 12:01 AM
(03-09-2013 11:28 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Something i've never grasped.. what's the natural home territory and climate of the Redguard like? Does it fit to a reason they may be prone to greater athleticism and have dark skin?

Nords are obviously from Skyrim which ties to their nature and Khajits are from jungles(I think)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Hammerfell

Curved. Swords.
04-09-2013, 03:55 AM
04-09-2013, 05:12 AM
(03-09-2013 10:23 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Smartass

The racism is clearly intentional, not because the developers at Bethesda are racist, but from a purely lore based conceit. The Nords of Skyrim have a long and violent history with the Dunmer of Vardenfell. In the context of the game, the Red Mountain at the center of Morrowind has erupted and made large swaths of Vardenfell uninhabitable, causing a large exodus of Dunmer refugees to settle in surrounding nations including Skyrim. Also the greater Empire is weaker than it has ever been, having been in a protracted war with the separatists Altmer and Bossmer of the Aldmeri Dominion, effectively setting up a competing empire of their own centered in the Sumerset Isles.

It is in this context that the Nords of Skyrim find themselves, their traditional way of life is being upended. There is a massive influx of their long time adversaries from Vardenfell. The other two elven races are part of an empire that has their own Empire on the ropes, and got the signing of a treaty that outlawed the worship of Talos. So not only is their country filled with foreigners, but also marauding groups of officially sanctioned heretic hunters on the look out to arrest and torture anyone worshiping Talos (a man risen to the divine). They feel as if their nation, and indeed their very culture, is being besieged. In this backdrop there are those seeking perseverance and adaptation (those siding with the Empire), and those seeking independence so that they need not bow to anyone's will (the rebels).

Now the fun part is, that the rebels loose almost all sympathy they could have gotten because they are extremely racist and xenophobic. They are not so much the revolting colonists of the American Revolution, so much as the slave owners of the Confederate south. The game tries to illustrate how complex issues are poorly matched by simple reactionary ideology. This is illustrated further by centrists and pragmatics like Jarl Balgruuf of Whiterun, whose primary concern is not for ideology but rather the safety of his people.

Skyrim the game certainly contains racism, but it's meant as commentary and a story telling device.

I love you.

And I love the complexity of the elder scrolls games thus far. They're absolutely fascinating to me- Bethesda put more than time into these games. They put history and politics and social affairs, to make it seem like an actual world.

(03-09-2013 11:28 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Something i've never grasped.. what's the natural home territory and climate of the Redguard like? Does it fit to a reason they may be prone to greater athleticism and have dark skin?

Khajiits are from a land of tropics and deserts.

(03-09-2013 11:11 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Meh, at least the Redguard don't get bonuses to lock-picking and pickpocketing or feeding on the welfare system or get added health bonuses when eating watermelon and fried chicken.
That would be racist.

Weeping

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
04-09-2013, 06:35 AM
The bit that annoyed me was that the Imperials want to cut your head off for no reason, so you kind of feel compelled to join the Stormcloaks. Then you learn they are some racist mother effers who only want Nords in Skyrim. That was a supremely disappointing moment for me. But it is an interesting and realistic narrative. The racism seems legitimate and not forced. I kind of wish they did a little more with it though. (as in, if you are a race other than nord then you may find a harder time in some of the cities)

I also wish Skyrim did a bit more on the good and evil thing like Bethesda did with Fallout. You can only possibly be seen as a good guy in Skyrim, even if you are the leader of the Dark Brotherhood. (and the fact that they make the Thieves Guild out to be some kind of Robin Hoodesque group bugs me too)

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-09-2013, 08:01 AM
(04-09-2013 06:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The bit that annoyed me was that the Imperials want to cut your head off for no reason, so you kind of feel compelled to join the Stormcloaks. Then you learn they are some racist mother effers who only want Nords in Skyrim. That was a supremely disappointing moment for me. But it is an interesting and realistic narrative. The racism seems legitimate and not forced. I kind of wish they did a little more with it though. (as in, if you are a race other than nord then you may find a harder time in some of the cities)

I also wish Skyrim did a bit more on the good and evil thing like Bethesda did with Fallout. You can only possibly be seen as a good guy in Skyrim, even if you are the leader of the Dark Brotherhood. (and the fact that they make the Thieves Guild out to be some kind of Robin Hoodesque group bugs me too)

Yeah thats where ESO is going to shine...I imagine you are not going to be very welcome in other factions territories.

Got a stress test invite, so that will be cool, get to see the character creation screen and lots of crashes Tongue

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
04-09-2013, 08:37 AM
(04-09-2013 08:01 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  lots of crashes Tongue

Skyrim on console in a nutshell. And soon to be ESO on console aswell.
04-09-2013, 08:51 AM
(04-09-2013 08:37 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 08:01 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  lots of crashes Tongue

Skyrim on console in a nutshell. And soon to be ESO on console aswell.

Yeah Bethesda doesn't have the best track record for bugs...Which as a developer I totally understand because their games are all way too ambitious and complex which = bugs.

ESO is going to be Zenimax on Bethesda's engine and now they have another 6 months to squish bugs while they port to console + they will have a steady stream of maintenance funds from subscriptions so I think it will be okay.

My beef with Skyrim on console is loading screens... Too many and too slow, but thats a hardware limitation....Which is why I just built a machine (well half built, it runs but I have some cleanup to do) that boots windows faster than I can put in my password. Throw ESO/Skyrim on the solid state and no more staring at a rotating broom for 5 mins waiting to enter the shop.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Skyrim mods The Germans are coming 4 204 28-01-2014 02:26 PM
Last Post: DeepThought
  F*%# Skyrim the glitchiest POS on console Ferdinand 9 281 25-01-2014 01:27 PM
Last Post: Logisch
  Dishonored vs Skyrim and Oblivion Adenosis 82 2,836 25-12-2013 08:52 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Who should I marry in Skyrim? Hughsie 55 3,505 17-10-2013 03:43 PM