Racism against white people.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Racism against white people.
So I've heard it said that it's impossible to be racist against white people. I'm not much into the whole social justice thing(too much food on the plate as it is) so I don't really care but I find the idea strange. I'm also not sure I follow the reasoning....mainly because I don't know what the reasoning is.
What's your take?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 07:59 AM
RE: Racism against white people.
Sure, it is possible because all racism means is to be prejudiced against a group because of their ethnicity (some ethnic "white" groups have been racially discriminated against in the US. Like the Irish)

But is it pervasive, systemic, and a problem for white people in general in the US? No. Is it anywhere near the level of racism against minority groups? No. Does it have a pervasive history in the US that has perpetuated racial inequality into the present day? No.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 9 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-10-2015, 08:09 AM
The way I've had it explained to me is that racism is typically something that is institutionalized and that the race doing the oppression has some form of power to act upon thier racism. I.E. When there used to be segregation, or in today's world where minority groups at least in the U.S. are heavily targeted by the police.

The minority group can of course be prejudice against another racial group and make hateful/nasty comments, however since they don't have the power to act upon it then its not racism per say at least on an institutionalized level.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
06-10-2015, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 08:17 AM by Lord Dark Helmet.)
(06-10-2015 07:59 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Sure, it is possible because all racism means is to be prejudiced against a group because of their ethnicity (some ethnic "white" groups have been racially discriminated against in the US. Like the Irish)

But is it pervasive, systemic, and a problem for white people in general in the US? No. Is it anywhere near the level of racism against minority groups? No. Does it have a pervasive history in the US that has perpetuated racial inequality into the present day? No.

Hmmm. Was just looking at the stats on white on black crime vs. black on white crime because someone posted on Facebook that white people are more likely to be assaulted, murdered or raped by blacks than blacks are by whites. Considering they're only 13% of the population that's a huge disparity. The Facebook post I read was fairly accurate after looking at the stats. Can that be considered racism? How long must these crimes occur for it to be considered racism? You can see it with the police as well. White cop shoots a black guy, everyone calls racism. No such crying when black cop shoots lowlife white guy.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
06-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Racism / prejudice are hard to discuss often because they involve imputing motives to people. I would say that it's certainly possible to be racist against white people in general or indeed specific tribes, but possibly the incidence of the same is low enough that it is not really in the public eye.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-10-2015, 08:20 AM
(06-10-2015 08:11 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 07:59 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Sure, it is possible because all racism means is to be prejudiced against a group because of their ethnicity (some ethnic "white" groups have been racially discriminated against in the US. Like the Irish)

Hmmm. Was just looking at the stats on white on black crime vs. black on white crime because someone posted on Facebook that white people are more likely to be assaulted, murdered or raped by blacks than blacks are by whites. Considering they're only 13% of the population that's a huge disparity. The Facebook post I read was fairly accurate after looking at the stats. Can that be considered racism? How long must these crimes occur for it to be considered racism? You can see it with the police as well. White cop shoots a black guy, everyone calls racism. No such crying when black cop shoots lowlife white guy.

With a disproportionate number of minorities still living in the lowest income brackets and poverty line (the groups that in any country have the highest concentration of criminals), it would be expected that the stats would be skewed racially. That does not make the increased rate of black people killing white people racism. It means that we still have a racially divided system where the factors driving criminal behavior are disproportionately weighted towards minorities.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
06-10-2015, 08:22 AM
You know teh fight club rules? Same thing. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2015, 08:23 AM
There's a line of thought that defines racism as only that bias which is accompanied by power. A great way to reduce the word to useless, if you ask me, and particularly stupid because the root of the idea is fairly obvious already: the prejudices of the disenfranchised don't matter in nearly the same way.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
06-10-2015, 08:25 AM
(06-10-2015 08:23 AM)cjlr Wrote:  There's a line of thought that defines racism as only that bias which is accompanied by power. A great way to reduce the word to useless, if you ask me, and particularly stupid because the root of the idea is fairly obvious already: the prejudices of the disenfranchised don't matter in nearly the same way.

The idea that only overt racism is racism. That concept ignores the institutionalized racism that has plagued a lot of western cultures throughout modern history (and certainly the US, where it has never been institutionalized against white people).

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
06-10-2015, 08:26 AM
(06-10-2015 08:20 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 08:11 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Hmmm. Was just looking at the stats on white on black crime vs. black on white crime because someone posted on Facebook that white people are more likely to be assaulted, murdered or raped by blacks than blacks are by whites. Considering they're only 13% of the population that's a huge disparity. The Facebook post I read was fairly accurate after looking at the stats. Can that be considered racism? How long must these crimes occur for it to be considered racism? You can see it with the police as well. White cop shoots a black guy, everyone calls racism. No such crying when black cop shoots lowlife white guy.

With a disproportionate number of minorities still living in the lowest income brackets and poverty line (the groups that in any country have the highest concentration of criminals), it would be expected that the stats would be skewed racially. That does not make the increased rate of black people killing white people racism. It means that we still have a racially divided system where the factors driving criminal behavior are disproportionately weighted towards minorities.

Indeed; everyone agrees that poverty drives crime. What lasting affect generations of institutionalised prejudice might have on the relative socioeconomic status of different populations can be left as an exercise to the reader.

Notwithstanding that even if all else were equal one would always expect more minority-on-majority crime than vice-versa. Because that's elementary statistics.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post