Racism in the US - how bad is it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2017, 06:50 AM
RE: Racism in the US - how bad is it?
(27-09-2017 06:30 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 06:08 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Racism has been bad in American for a very, very long time. What it has been in recent years is a bit more covert. Mindsets haven't really changed much but it seems that the need to hide under a hood is not only gone but not necessary at all.

The statements made by people who should know better have brought the 'secret' out into the open and are now flaunting it.

If POTUS can be publicly racist then why can't the general public? Now the racists are loud and proud. This isn't going to end well, at all.

And I don't speak only of BillyJoeBob but also of supposedly educated members of the business and political worlds who had sense enough to keep their traps shut until they were given the all clear.

Well you see this is the point.
Yes racism has been bad in America for a very long time.
But in reality I'd have to say that it is not as bad as it was not all that long ago.
If I just use what I hear on TV news shows then it seems that we are having a big upswing. But if I temper that with my own actual experiences I have to take it with a grain of salt. Our next door neighbor moved out and a black family moved in.
They have fit right in and they seem to be doing fine. They pick up their kids at the same school as we do and they get along with all the other parents perfectly fine.
If I say "yeah but this isn't Mississippi" then the best I can say is "I don't know".
But I don't see a lot of news about lynchings any more.
Even the fringe elements like the KKK and white supremacists are largely marginalized. All a person has to do is look at the history of the KKK to see that they did make up a genuine political force in the US in the 20's and 30's.
They are a shadow of what they were and there is simply no evidence that they will ever return to that level of membership or influence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retr...23c210f6b4

Yes our idiot in chief is a big fucking problem but how is this surprising.
What I find most troubling is the influence that some of the "leaders" of the white supremacy movement have.
Involvement in right wing think tanks like the Heritage Foundation who are very influential on right wing agendas.

I've lived right in the heart of Klan land. I watched how politicians pushed them from the forefront to their little hidey holes.
Lynchings - how about opening fire outside a mostly black club as a sort of initiation into the Klan? Yeah, that's a thing...and way too common even 15-25 years ago. Burning black churches also a thing.
I watched when the Klan was allowed to march in local parades and I watched when that was stopped...now the door is open again to find the Grand Wizards and Dragons in the same parade as Santa and his elves and the high school band.
There was boot on their necks for a time...they weren't gone but where somewhat subdued. Now the boot is lifting again.

My family has been threatened because my military brat kids had black friends...we were labeled nigger lovers. One young black man would NOT enter my house because he had been taught that he was NEVER to enter a white girl's house. He was taught that for a reason - his own safety.

A black family moving into a suburb isn't the same as Klan meetings in Bum Fuck, South or North Carolina where acts of hatred and violence are planned, carried out, and often covered up. When local business men will say...out loud...I don't need money from no niggers...well, you do the math...how bad is it?

My college educated boss said he loved the black maid their family had when he was a kid...loved her. But...he would NOT invite her to Sunday dinner. A fine southern family did not break bread with a black employee (servant) in their home...or anywhere else if possible.

Don't pretend this shit's not bad...it is bad.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
27-09-2017, 07:13 AM
(27-09-2017 06:11 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(26-09-2017 07:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  Something I saw on tv a while ago made me really think about this hard.

There was a white lady explaining how she would never call the police to her house for any reason because she was worried that they would shoot her black husband.

And I am thinking, damn, yeah, if I had a black husband in the house I would surely think twice before calling the police about a burglary. I'd have to make sure they knew my husband was black and unarmed...

And that is bad. Really very, very bad.

Best information I've seen is that police shoot 3.3 people per day in the US.

They had a bit on NPR yesterday talking about it.

It seems that about 80% of those shot by cops are " white".....

( I had no idea there were that many albino people... Dodgy )

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-09-2017, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2017 07:57 AM by BikerDude.)
(27-09-2017 06:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I've lived right in the heart of Klan land. I watched how politicians pushed them from the forefront to their little hidey holes.
Lynchings - how about opening fire outside a mostly black club as a sort of initiation into the Klan? Yeah, that's a thing...and way too common even 15-25 years ago. Burning black churches also a thing.
I watched when the Klan was allowed to march in local parades and I watched when that was stopped...now the door is open again to find the Grand Wizards and Dragons in the same parade as Santa and his elves and the high school band.
There was boot on their necks for a time...they weren't gone but where somewhat subdued. Now the boot is lifting again.

My family has been threatened because my military brat kids had black friends...we were labeled nigger lovers. One young black man would NOT enter my house because he had been taught that he was NEVER to enter a white girl's house. He was taught that for a reason - his own safety.

A black family moving into a suburb isn't the same as Klan meetings in Bum Fuck, South or North Carolina where acts of hatred and violence are planned, carried out, and often covered up. When local business men will say...out loud...I don't need money from no niggers...well, you do the math...how bad is it?

My college educated boss said he loved the black maid their family had when he was a kid...loved her. But...he would NOT invite her to Sunday dinner. A fine southern family did not break bread with a black employee (servant) in their home...or anywhere else if possible.

Well I guess I'll have to take that "on faith".
I don't see it and don't hear about it in the news.

I do hope that things aren't as bad for you as you say.
If they are I have to say that I do find that very surprising.
Are there any news stories about this stuff online that you could point to?
See the problem I have is that if I was to talk to these racists I'm sure they would all have stories about black crime.
Most of which they had only heard about or been told about.
And most of it would turn out to be complete bullshit.
I tend to act differently.
Believe me I have no illusions about the "deep south".
I've been there and left totally fucking amazed at the ignorance and general nature of certain realities.
I haven't heard about shootings as a prerequisite to "initiation into the Klan"
The problem I have is I could barley count the number of people who have insisted that committing a felony is a prerequisite to joining a motorcycle club.
It's false info in the case of bike clubs.
My experience with true hard core racists is that they are pathetic ignorant scumbags that come together and cling to the only thing they have.
The skin they happen to have been born in.
Of course that's around here not the deep south.
Here they don't amount to shit. Well actually that's exactly what they amount to.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2013/0..._klan.html

It's like I began my first post in this thread.
It's hard to say.
It depends where you are.
I need to talk it out....

For reliable info about hate crimes I tend to go the the SPLC.
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016...g-election
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_p...ction.html

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
27-09-2017, 07:26 AM
(27-09-2017 07:13 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 06:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I've lived right in the heart of Klan land. I watched how politicians pushed them from the forefront to their little hidey holes.

Well I guess I'll have to take that "on faith".
I don't see it and don't hear about it in the news.

My big problem is that the left insists on "fighting from their heels" when they don't need to. I think that if you had been around in the 50's and 60's you would still have to say that the conditions that we have now are light years ahead of where we were. We are winning! It's best if we operate that way IMO.
As Ralph Nader noted. "The left is seized by fear and the right is driven by brass"
I don't understand why we insist on allowing others to control the narrative.
Ok your boss harbors a lot of old school racist ideas. You are surprised?
Of course not. That is going to change very slowly over generations. In the mean time what we should be concerned about is that he votes the way that we would like. And any argument for that is not going to be based on questions of race.
But there needs to be and in fact are about a million actual other reasons why he would vote together with us. The left needs a positive message.
Everyone has heard how evil racism is a zillion times.
Pointing it out over and over won't change a thing.

You can ask around...I am not a liar. Been here a long time...take it on faith or whatever.

There are reasons some things are publicized...Strom Thurmond controlled SC for a long time and that's where I was.

As for the 50 and 60...yeah...I was there through some of the 50s and on.

No, we aren't dragging out fire hoses and there aren't officially colored water fountains but there is still a lot going on...doesn't matter if you hear about it or not.

I did have football players that played with my son tell me I shouldn't 'let' him date a bi-racial girl...that was in, oh, about 2004...not the distant past and these kids had to learn that stuff from somewhere.

The thing as far as the 'race thing being hear a zillion times'...it's clearly not been enough yet as it's still an issue.

Just because you maybe hadn't heard of the doings of Horace King or Elsie Rast Stuart makes them no less true.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
27-09-2017, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2017 08:06 AM by Anjele.)
sonovabitch...this one made the Chicago tribune...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996-...ua-england

Quote:Two white men charged with shooting into a mostly black crowd outside a nightclub in Pelion, S.C., had attended Ku Klux Klan-sponsored events during the same weekend, say authorities and a Klan leader.

Yeah, we were living there when that happened. Mind you the Klan meetings were advertised every month on a sign that was erected next to the sign to the local Girl Scout Camp. The director of the camp was one of the first to call us nigger lovers, and tell people to stay away from us...wonder how she feels about her bi-racial grandchild who came along later.

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appe...318/85198/

Quote:Every year since 1977, a Christmas parade had been organized for the town of Pelion by Ronnie Troutman, a private citizen who volunteered his time. In 1987, Troutman again organized a Christmas parade, to be held on December 19, 1987. Troutman secured permission from the town of Pelion to hold the parade and invited participation from groups whom he believed were suited to the theme of the Christmas season. About ten days before the parade, Horace King, the leader of the Ku Klux Klan in South Carolina, contacted Troutman and requested that the Klan be allowed to enter a float in the parade. He told Troutman that his organization would sue if it were not allowed to participate. Troutman called the Mayor to get permission for the Klan to be in the parade, and she told him that she did not believe it was appropriate. Troutman, under the impression that the Klan was legally entitled to participate, gave permission. Thereafter, Klan members began work on their float in reliance on Troutman's commitment.
Some of the groups that had previously accepted invitations withdrew, expressing concern for safety because of the Klan's participation. State Senator Joe Wilson of Lexington County contacted Travis Medlock, Attorney General of South Carolina, on December 18, 1987, and expressed his fear that violence would occur if the Klan participated in the Christmas parade. Medlock concluded that if the Klan's participation posed a threat to public safety or did not conform to the limited theme of the Christmas parade, Pelion could exclude the group.
Medlock contacted the Mayor of Pelion, the Lexington County Sheriff's Department, and Agent Bucky Harris of the State Law Enforcement Division.1  Harris was aware of practices of the Klan which could easily produce violence at a parade, and he expressed his opinion to Medlock that there was an imminent threat to the public safety. Based on a consensus of opinions consistent with Harris' view, Medlock researched the law and issued an emergency opinion that the Town of Pelion could legally exclude the Klan from participating in the Christmas parade based on the town's right to protect its citizens from imminent danger. The next morning, the Pelion Town Council passed an ordinance prohibiting the Klan's participation. The Mayor, however, invited the Klan to parade at another time of its choosing. The Klan declined the invitation and instituted this action.
The Christian Knights sued the Town of Pelion, Mayor Stuart, in both her official capacity and as an individual, and the Attorney General, seeking damages, injunctive relief, and declaratory relief under 42 U.S.C. § 1983.2  Trial was by jury before a United States Magistrate. The jury returned a general verdict for the defendants, and this appeal followed.

And Ms. Stuart stood her ground. Of course Thrumond still showed up to ride in the parades and leer at young girls...while still denying fathering a bi-racial daughter.

There's more on that Google thingy, like this... https://openjurist.org/934/f2d/318/chris...v-stuart-t and this https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/...-reckoning

I drove past Horace King's house every day on my way to and from work...his and those of his family in a row along the highway with their yards graced with statues of Klansmen decked out in the various colors that indicate the hierarchy of the KKK. Just a subtle reminder to the black people in the area who had to drive past them too on their way to work or school.

27-09-2017, 08:13 AM
It is bad, just not violent most of the time. I know several people that will not go eat where a black person might handle their food. Totally unacceptable behavior.

IMO there is not enough intermixing of people of different races socially to brake down the barriers that keep us divided. I am as guilty as most in that aspect. I do not have anything against people of different races, but most of my friends end up being like me. It is not something I actively do, it just happened.
27-09-2017, 08:19 AM
The last incident we had around here was the hillarious case of the guys who tried to make a "death ray" to beam at Muslim mosques.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post...f449f9ce22
Quote:Based on court records, Glendon Scott Crawford is ruthless enough to plot an elaborate mass killing of unsuspecting Muslims.
But, it seems, he’s also foolish enough to enlist the help of strangers — who turned out to be undercover law enforcement officers.
Which is probably why, according to the Albany Times-Union, Crawford’s friends described him as a cross between Darth Vader, an intergalactic mass murderer, and Forrest Gump, once described by The Washington Post as a low-IQ Southern character with a propensity for gate-crashing history.

Quote:Dec. 19

Self-professed Ku Klux Klan member Glendon Scott Crawford was sentenced by a federal judge in Albany, New York, to 30 years in prison after he was found guilty of conspiring with another man to build a radiation dispersal device, sometimes dubbed a “death ray” or a “dirty bomb,” against Muslims and Barack Obama. Dirty bombs combine radioactive material with conventional explosives. Crawford’s co-conspirator was sentenced to eight years and one month in prison.

27-09-2017, 08:21 AM
Even that deluded...it's not hilarious.

27-09-2017, 08:33 AM
(27-09-2017 08:13 AM)wazzel Wrote:  It is bad, just not violent most of the time. I know several people that will not go eat where a black person might handle their food. Totally unacceptable behavior.

IMO there is not enough intermixing of people of different races socially to brake down the barriers that keep us divided. I am as guilty as most in that aspect. I do not have anything against people of different races, but most of my friends end up being like me. It is not something I actively do, it just happened.

Playing devil's advocate is it possible that black people might harbor anti white prejudice?
I contend that asking the question is not being racist.
In the south I would have to say that it would be understandable if blacks did have anti white prejudices. Especially if things are as bad as people say.
If I was dressed in a suit and tie and I was having all my food served and cooked by blacks it would run across my mind.
Especially if they didn't know me from Adam and only knew that I was a white guy in a suit.
And I am in no way prejudiced.

27-09-2017, 08:35 AM
(27-09-2017 08:33 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(27-09-2017 08:13 AM)wazzel Wrote:  It is bad, just not violent most of the time. I know several people that will not go eat where a black person might handle their food. Totally unacceptable behavior.

Playing devil's advocate is it possible that black people might harbor anti white prejudice?
I contend that asking the question is not being racist.
In the south I would have to say that it would be understandable if blacks did have anti white prejudices. Especially if things are as bad as people say.
If I was dressed in a suit and tie and I was having all my food served and cooked by blacks it would run across my mind. And I am in no way prejudiced.
I have a black friend. (Sarcasm) I've had many black friends and girl friends over the years.

The more times you have to state you aren't racist the closer you are to proving that you are.

Methinks the layers are coming off this onion.