"Racism" is a relatively new concept.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2013, 05:20 PM
RE: "Racism" is a relatively new concept.
(02-08-2013 05:08 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 05:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, not debunked - clarified.

"Biological anthropologists such as Jonathan Marks and philosophers Jonathan Kaplan and Rasmus Winther have argued that while Edwards's argument is correct it does not invalidate Lewontin's original argument, because racial groups being genetically distinct on average does not mean that racial groups are the most basic biological divisions of the world's population. Nor does it mean that races are not social constructs as is the prevailing view among anthropologists and social scientists, because the particular genetic differences that correspond to races only become salient when racial categories take on social importance. According to this view Edwards and Lewontin are therefore both correct."

"racial groups being genetically distinct on average does not mean that racial groups are the most basic biological divisions of the world's population."

Strawman. No one makes this claim. The point is that they are divisions, and are very much distinct.

the particular genetic differences that correspond to races only become salient when racial categories take on social importance.

Sounds like something Tim Wise or Noel Ignatiev would say, hardly scientific. Although "social scientists" that appeal to the Lewontins and Goulds of the world cannot be trusted.

Okay. So what is your point?

Redpill us already.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2013, 05:27 PM
(02-08-2013 05:20 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 05:08 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  "racial groups being genetically distinct on average does not mean that racial groups are the most basic biological divisions of the world's population."

Strawman. No one makes this claim. The point is that they are divisions, and are very much distinct.

the particular genetic differences that correspond to races only become salient when racial categories take on social importance.

Sounds like something Tim Wise or Noel Ignatiev would say, hardly scientific. Although "social scientists" that appeal to the Lewontins and Goulds of the world cannot be trusted.

Okay. So what is your point?

Redpill us already.

What's the point? You're all like bumbling children that just hate taking the right medicine because it tastes yucky.
02-08-2013, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 05:42 PM by fstratzero.)
(02-08-2013 05:27 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 05:20 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Okay. So what is your point?

Redpill us already.

What's the point? You're all like bumbling children that just hate taking the right medicine because it tastes yucky.

So you are familiar with the term. I have this suspicion you are the type who thinks the communists / jews are actually trying to take over America, or have taken over America. It's a very old conservative view point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_S...acy_theory

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Internation...conspiracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Bolshevism

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Red_scare

The sad thing is I love conspiracy theories, and try to see if they are true. So far these ones are simply not accurate at all.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
(02-08-2013 05:32 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 05:27 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  What's the point? You're all like bumbling children that just hate taking the right medicine because it tastes yucky.

So you are familiar with the term. I have this suspicion you are the type who thinks the communists / jews are actually trying to take over America, or have taken over America. It's a very old conservative view point.

The sad thing is I love conspiracy theories, and try to see if they are true. So far these ones are simply not accurate at all.

Holy strawman, Batman!

I'm not sure what such conspiracy theorizing has anything to do with what we were talking about. It seems like a dishonest tactic to make me out to be a nut.

Nothing I have said regarding the Frankfurt School or cultural Marxism is untrue, or suggestive of conspiracy theorizing. All I suggested was that the ideas that derive from those institutions have been perpetuated throughout culture, perhaps not intentionally by any grand conspiracy, but naively by the general populace.

I just disagree with the ideas and theories. That is all. I don't care if its reptillians that are the ones conspiring, I'd still be in disagreement with the theory.
02-08-2013, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 06:15 PM by fstratzero.)
(02-08-2013 05:53 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 05:32 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  So you are familiar with the term. I have this suspicion you are the type who thinks the communists / jews are actually trying to take over America, or have taken over America. It's a very old conservative view point.

Holy strawman, Batman!

I'm not sure what such conspiracy theorizing has anything to do with what we were talking about. It seems like a dishonest tactic to make me out to be a nut.

Nothing I have said regarding the Frankfurt School or cultural Marxism is untrue, or suggestive of conspiracy theorizing. All I suggested was that the ideas that derive from those institutions have been perpetuated throughout culture, perhaps not intentionally by any grand conspiracy, but naively by the general populace.

I just disagree with the ideas and theories. That is all. I don't care if its reptillians that are the ones conspiring, I'd still be in disagreement with the theory.

I would hope that you not another stormfront member trying to passively sell racist ideas, and that your criticism is genuine.

(02-08-2013 02:00 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  Actually, a Jewish Communist who changed his name to something more Russian sounding.

Why trust a Jewish communist? Jewish communists created the Frankfurt School that has perpetuated academia with cultural Marxist principles, including "racism".

However your previous posts make this "strawman" suspicion look a bit more like fact.

-Baron d'Holbach-
02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
(02-08-2013 06:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I would hope that you not another stormfront member trying to passively sell racist ideas, and that your criticism is genuine.

I don't go on stormfront. I do not fetishize white identity as if it is some sacred calling, yelling "white pride world wide", and obstructing any sort of appreciation or participation of other cultures and races. I find such attitudes immature and irrational.

I support civil, rational, and practical solutions with the principle of promoting liberty and prosperity for all.

(02-08-2013 06:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  However your previous posts make this "strawman" suspicion look a bit more like fact.

The Jewish intellectual influence on the Russian revolution cannot be denied. I do not trust communists. Although I am not anti-semitic. Two very inspirational figures for me have been Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard - two libertarian Jews.

I also love the film Fiddler on the Roof.
[+] 1 user Likes janthuffy's post
02-08-2013, 06:42 PM
(02-08-2013 06:34 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 06:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I would hope that you not another stormfront member trying to passively sell racist ideas, and that your criticism is genuine.

I don't go on stormfront. I do not fetishize white identity as if it is some sacred calling, yelling "white pride world wide", and obstructing any sort of appreciation or participation of other cultures and races. I find such attitudes immature and irrational.

I support civil, rational, and practical solutions with the principle of promoting liberty and prosperity for all.

(02-08-2013 06:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  However your previous posts make this "strawman" suspicion look a bit more like fact.

The Jewish intellectual influence on the Russian revolution cannot be denied. I do not trust communists. Although I am not anti-semitic. Two very inspirational figures for me have been Ludwig von Mises and Murray Rothbard - two libertarian Jews.

I also love the film Fiddler on the Roof.

I will suspend my accusations for now, but you must realize that we don't tolerate racism. So claims like this are always suspicious due to the random influx of white nationalists who have made similar claims in the past.

-Baron d'Holbach-
02-08-2013, 06:59 PM
(02-08-2013 04:01 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 03:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  However those traits haven't a thing to do with ones race.

Wrong.

How is this wrong when you wrote...

Quote:"(Today 02:23 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
...However, I will not support a socialized system that seeks to either attempt to equalize everyone or to take advantage of their distinct value for the "whole".

And while everyone has some value to them, there are also traits that could be considered detrimental for a society."

What does this have to do with race? And if so what race are you referring to who carry traits that are a detriment to society?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

02-08-2013, 08:22 PM
(02-08-2013 04:01 PM)janthuffy Wrote:  
(02-08-2013 03:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  However those traits haven't a thing to do with ones race.

Wrong.

You've danced around this rather enough for now.

Substantiate those claims, or retract them.

It is the general scientific consensus that recognizably distinct populations do exist among the human species in general. To be statistically significant the boundaries must be drawn far, far closer than proposed by any classical theory of race. A competent scientist will admit of such variation, the inevitable consequence of genetic drift, variable selection, and the repeated bottlenecks of small founder populations. And yet the differences are in strictly superficial morphology; a difference in average values of other quantifiable variables is not statistically significant given variation within such categories as might be made.

But why repeat myself:
(02-08-2013 01:43 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Again - what the heck does Gould have to do with anything?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

No correlation is hyperbolic. Sure, I'll admit that.

So what is correlated between human races (also: define race and give examples), beyond the superficial morphological differences used to establish the categories?

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
02-08-2013, 09:01 PM
[Image: crazy-beserk-bearded-mel-meme-generator-...805785.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like PurpleChimp's post