Racism is alive and well.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2016, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 01:44 PM by Nurse.)
RE: Racism is alive and well.
Am I the only person who has heard heard umpteen rap songs saying "make it rain" with dollar bills thrown in the air like confetti?Consider My favorite version of that phrase is in a Ke$ha song (a white girl), but I digress...

Does the black community have the deck stacked against them? Hell yeh they do. The point being made is to stand up, take action, be strong, overcome. There comes a time when you stop bitching and moaning about how unjust the system is and do something about it for yourself. Uncle Sam isn't going to do it for you, no one is but yourself..

Life isn't fair. Just because I'm a white girl in the US doesn't mean I haven't had plenty of unfair shit happen to me affecting my own ability to succeed in life. So what? Tough shit. I've got to suck it up and deal and find a way to push through it.

So when your football team is down fourteen points at half time, do you think the coach is saying to the players, "Well boys, that sucks. They've just had better equipment and fields and coaching than y'all. Guess there's nothing you can do, you were slated to lose from the beginning. Just try not to get hurt out there." Hell no. People need encouragement. People need to hear "yeh it's tough, it's an uphill battle, and you're going to succeed anyway and be a motherfucking badass when you do. Then you can make it fucking rain, bitches!"

I don't see anything racist about encouraging a disadvantaged community to take action and assume control of their lives. You think Auburn University turns down black people for their skin color? Think again. When I applied to Auburn's nursing school, men and every race but white got weighted with more points on their applications. So if you showed up to class and studied and made the grade, you were more likely to be accepted if male or black/asian/Latino/green with purple polka dots than a white woman, and if the only thing differentiating your application was skin color/sex, then it was the white woman who would get the rejection letter. If you didn't have the money, you were approved for school loans - it's called FAFSA. You find a way to persevere - identify the obstacles and figure out a way to conquer them. Someone saying, "you can do this!" goes a long way.

(Disclaimer: I've had some wine. But you can appreciate the sentiment, yeh?)

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Nurse's post
07-07-2016, 01:48 PM
(07-07-2016 01:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Am I the only person who has heard heard umpteen rap songs saying "make it rain" with dollar bills thrown in the air like confetti?Consider My favorite version of that phrase is in a Ke$ha song (a white girl), but I digress...

Well, there you go -- I haven't heard very many rap songs.

Tongue
07-07-2016, 01:55 PM
(07-07-2016 01:48 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 01:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Am I the only person who has heard heard umpteen rap songs saying "make it rain" with dollar bills thrown in the air like confetti?Consider My favorite version of that phrase is in a Ke$ha song (a white girl), but I digress...

Well, there you go -- I haven't heard very many rap songs.

Tongue

Tongue Ke$has's version is "throw some glitter, make it rain." Being the questionably sane white girl that I am, of course I'm gonna love glitter...

[Image: d3e119f4e66e878e2b7c86a0d70bf0fa.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
07-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Does the black community have the deck stacked against them? Hell yeh they do. The point being made is to stand up, take action, be strong, overcome. There comes a time when you stop bitching and moaning about how unjust the system is and do something about it for yourself. Uncle Sam isn't going to do it for you, no one is but yourself..

Life isn't fair. Just because I'm a white girl in the US doesn't mean I haven't had plenty of unfair shit happen to me affecting my own ability to succeed in life. So what? Tough shit. I've got to suck it up and deal and find a way to push through it.

So when your football team is down fourteen points at half time, do you think the coach is saying to the players, "Well boys, that sucks. They've just had better equipment and fields and coaching than y'all. Guess there's nothing you can do, you were slated to lose from the beginning. Just try not to get hurt out there." Hell no. People need encouragement. People need to hear "yeh it's tough, it's an uphill battle, and you're going to succeed anyway and be a motherfucking badass when you do. Then you can make it fucking rain, bitches!"

I don't see anything racist about encouraging a disadvantaged community to take action and assume control of their lives. You think Auburn University turns down black people for their skin color? Think again. When I applied to Auburn's nursing school, men and every race but white got weighted with more points on their applications. So if you showed up to class and studied and made the grade, you were more likely to be accepted if male or black/asian/Latino/green with purple polka dots than a white woman, and if the only thing differentiating your application was skin color/sex, then it was the white woman who would get the rejection letter. If you didn't have the money, you were approved for school loans - it's called FAFSA. You find a way to persevere - identify the obstacles and figure out a way to conquer them. Someone saying, "you can do this!" goes a long way.

(Disclaimer: I've had some wine. But you can appreciate the sentiment, yeh?)

I agree, but, that isn't all there is too it. They have been standing up. But it is also up to the rest of us to listen, not just simply say "just do it" and " it's all your fault".

I am sorry, you cannot rightfully say the deck is stacked against them, without placing blame on the attitudes of those who are the ones stacking the decks against them. It isn't simply all in their heads.

It is still up to whites and the rich to accept why those conditions exist. "Just do it" is a cliche when the playing field was never level. Help not lectures, listening not blaming. Understanding, not " fuck you you're on your own".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
07-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Black people are not disadvantaged anymore unless they choose to be. If they want to succeed they have the advantage. I do the DMV work for the dealer I work for. I had a black guy behind me that I talked to a little. I try to be helpful, so I answered questions he had about what he needed. Every time the stinking line moved he tried to step around me. I said nothing and made sure I didn't let him disrespect me. The problem is that there is an attitude that they (black people) are owed something. We already give them first preference for jobs, help getting a career after prison if they went that route, among many other things. Also, I owe them nothing. My ancestors never owned slaves. There is a word for those who have ancestors that owned slaves and were rich and powerful back in those days "Politicians". Most of them are old money. It is also thanks to white people in the first place that black people are free now. Spoiler alert, white people fought the civil fucking war to free them. I know that black people also fought in that war, but it would not have happened if white (males) did not also fight for that cause.
[+] 3 users Like Birdguy1979's post
07-07-2016, 03:24 PM
(07-07-2016 02:28 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Black people are not disadvantaged anymore unless they choose to be. If they want to succeed they have the advantage. I do the DMV work for the dealer I work for. I had a black guy behind me that I talked to a little. I try to be helpful, so I answered questions he had about what he needed. Every time the stinking line moved he tried to step around me. I said nothing and made sure I didn't let him disrespect me. The problem is that there is an attitude that they (black people) are owed something. We already give them first preference for jobs, help getting a career after prison if they went that route, among many other things. Also, I owe them nothing. My ancestors never owned slaves. There is a word for those who have ancestors that owned slaves and were rich and powerful back in those days "Politicians". Most of them are old money. It is also thanks to white people in the first place that black people are free now. Spoiler alert, white people fought the civil fucking war to free them. I know that black people also fought in that war, but it would not have happened if white (males) did not also fight for that cause.

This post almost leaves me speechless. It is a perfect advertisement for the thread title. Gee, I'll bet you wish you were black, so you could get all those "advantages". LOL.
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
07-07-2016, 03:36 PM
(07-07-2016 03:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This post almost leaves me speechless. It is a perfect advertisement for the thread title. Gee, I'll bet you wish you were black, so you could get all those "advantages". LOL.

To be fair, he does have a shitty job.

#sigh
07-07-2016, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 06:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
"Would this have happened if those passengers and driver were white. I don't think it would have."

#sigh
07-07-2016, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2016 07:10 PM by Vosur.)
(07-07-2016 02:28 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Black people are not disadvantaged anymore unless they choose to be. If they want to succeed they have the advantage. I do the DMV work for the dealer I work for. I had a black guy behind me that I talked to a little. I try to be helpful, so I answered questions he had about what he needed. Every time the stinking line moved he tried to step around me. I said nothing and made sure I didn't let him disrespect me. The problem is that there is an attitude that they (black people) are owed something. We already give them first preference for jobs, help getting a career after prison if they went that route, among many other things. Also, I owe them nothing. My ancestors never owned slaves. There is a word for those who have ancestors that owned slaves and were rich and powerful back in those days "Politicians". Most of them are old money. It is also thanks to white people in the first place that black people are free now. Spoiler alert, white people fought the civil fucking war to free them. I know that black people also fought in that war, but it would not have happened if white (males) did not also fight for that cause.
That's not even to mention the little known historical fact that it was black people who sold members of their own race into slavery. The white man did not invent the slave trade over there, it was alive and well before we ever set sail for Africa.

(07-07-2016 03:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This post almost leaves me speechless. It is a perfect advertisement for the thread title. Gee, I'll bet you wish you were black, so you could get all those "advantages". LOL.
I don't understand these types of responses. The only thing you accomplish by responding to him this way is to show everyone that you don't know how to counter his arguments with something of substance. I also don't understand why you decided to put the word "advantages" in quotes. Are you denying the existence of racist policies like Affirmative Action and the benefits it offers to black people regardless of their economic status?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
07-07-2016, 07:25 PM
I am painfully reminded that there is a distinction between me, a liberal, and:

[Image: 5be94bfaccd3d246a4209679ce89a58d4d94d9c2...060d41.jpg]

Extra emphasis on the cringe.

> legislated affirmative action
> "but the system is rigged against them still! please forgive my white ass, beautiful ebony lords :["

lol okay jeff.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post