Racism on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
RE: Racism on this forum
(10-09-2012 10:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  Words have different connotations to different people. Everyone has a sore spot. Going around and purposefully poking people in what you know to be is their sore spot is not going to contribute to having a diverse and interesting community.

I poked Muffs in his sore spot and now he is gone. Anyone can do this to anyone if they so choose.

Some words are a sore spot for thousands and millions of people. Some are personal scars. They all spell hurt.

I don't see how poking people in their sore spots helps atheism or anything else in this world.

I totally agree that words have different connotations to different people. And following that premise, can we really condemn earmuffs for failing to understand the way other people perceive words when no-one seems to have any intent of understanding how he perceives them?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
10-09-2012, 10:09 AM
The intent behind the use of the words means far more to me than what other people think or feel. I understand that people get offended, that is why context and intent is everything.

[Image: opforum1.png]
10-09-2012, 10:13 AM
(10-09-2012 10:05 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Why is this an issue? Does not every one know the golden rule?

[Image: billandtedagain_513x334.jpg]

Seriously - I don't care for racist assholes. If someone wishes to behave in a racist asshole kinda way, I can hit ignore. I don't need thought police cleaning up or saving me from offensive BS - I've discovered the ignore feature! Thumbsup

There we go again with the ignore.

Ignore sucks.

It doesn't block threads started by the ignored person, and it scrambles other threads s/he posted in into a non-sequitor mess that makes no sense anymore.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-09-2012, 10:16 AM
(10-09-2012 10:09 AM)frankiej Wrote:  The intent behind the use of the words means far more to me than what other people think or feel. I understand that people get offended, that is why context and intent is everything.

Then we are not talking about democracy anymore. If a word hurts a million people, and one person, or 5, or ten, or a hundred, are not bothered, in democracy the million counts more.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-09-2012, 10:18 AM
(10-09-2012 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 10:05 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Why is this an issue? Does not every one know the golden rule?

Seriously - I don't care for racist assholes. If someone wishes to behave in a racist asshole kinda way, I can hit ignore. I don't need thought police cleaning up or saving me from offensive BS - I've discovered the ignore feature! Thumbsup

Ignore sucks.

It doesn't block threads started by the ignored person, and it scrambles other threads s/he posted in into a non-sequitor mess that makes no sense anymore.

Then ignore them by not reading their nonsense like I do.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
(10-09-2012 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  

Ignore sucks.

But to the point, as a user of the forum, do you want Mods banning people for saying something that you consider offensive? Isn't that the crux of the matter?

I probably read through about 3% of the threads on the site - ignoring the overwhelming majority based on interest and time. If I see something that I don't care about reading, I move on...If someone wants to make a thread spouting on the virtue of all things white at expense of all others, I may just want to know who started the thread so I can avoid him or her...

I'd rather have the good members of the forum kick him/her than having the mods determining what is/isn't offensive...just my two cents, terribly sorry if that offends anyone Undecided

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Seasbury's post
10-09-2012, 10:22 AM
(10-09-2012 10:18 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  There we go again with the ignore.

Ignore sucks.

Then ignore them by not reading their nonsense like I do.

I ignore by skim reading and skipping responses I don't want to read. I have selective interest and I don't let certain opinions have weight in my mind than others that do.
10-09-2012, 10:22 AM
(10-09-2012 10:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 10:09 AM)frankiej Wrote:  The intent behind the use of the words means far more to me than what other people think or feel. I understand that people get offended, that is why context and intent is everything.

Then we are not talking about democracy anymore. If a word hurts a million people, and one person, or 5, or ten, or a hundred, are not bothered, in democracy the million counts more.

I never mentioned anything about democracy, so why would I be talking about it? Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
(10-09-2012 10:21 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 10:13 AM)Dom Wrote:  There we go again with the ignore.

Ignore sucks.

But to the point, as a user of the forum, do you want Mods banning people for saying something that you consider offensive? Isn't that the crux of the matter?

I probably read through about 3% of the threads on the site - ignoring the overwhelming majority based on interest and time. If I see something that I don't care about reading, I move on...If someone wants to make a thread spouting on the virtue of all things white at expense of all others, I may just want to know who started the thread so I can avoid him or her...

I'd rather have the good members of the forum kick him/her than having the mods determining what is/isn't offensive...just my two cents, terribly sorry if that offends anyone Undecided

No, I don't want bannings. But we can use the scramble feature easily enough.

Sorry, democracy was mentioned earlier as being the foundation of the board, versus anarchy.

10-09-2012, 10:33 AM
(10-09-2012 10:29 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 10:21 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  But to the point, as a user of the forum, do you want Mods banning people for saying something that you consider offensive? Isn't that the crux of the matter?

No, I don't want bannings. But we can use the scramble feature easily enough.

Sorry, democracy was mentioned earlier as being the foundation of the board, versus anarchy.

If you're referring to my comments, I did not say democracy is the foundation of this board. Rather, a benevolent dictatorship is the best description.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel