Racism on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-09-2012, 11:31 AM
RE: Racism on this forum
(10-09-2012 11:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 11:00 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Guess it's time for me to chime in on this nonsense.

Dom, you seem to have convinced yourself that this forum should be what you want it to be. That is not the case. Truth is, I expect you'll be gone within the week, and I'm ok with that. You see, there's no such thing as a forum that is right for everyone. You need protection from the big bad world via silly things like scrambling words. And that's fine, but you won't find it here.

I don't need any protection, I'm all growed up.

And I don't aim to make anything what I want it to be, I am vocal and I have view points and I voice them and people think about them. And that is what most forums are about anyways.

I just don't like seeing good people who contribute good stuff leaving because nutcases who contribute crap prevail. Makes no freaking sense to me.

So, is this an invitation for me to pack it up? My opinions bother you enough to invite me to leave?

Hmmmmm..... (bites tongue, avoids comparison to recent events and contradictions in ethics)

It would be a great loss to the forum if you left, Dom. Please don't.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
10-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Agreed, don't leave, Dom. You rock.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
10-09-2012, 11:35 AM
(10-09-2012 11:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  I just don't like seeing good people who contribute good stuff leaving because nutcases who contribute crap prevail. Makes no freaking sense to me.

The only reason any nutcases spewing crap prevail on here (and I don't include earmuffs in that) is because people let them! Rather than getting all upset, throwing tantrums, and storming out we should scorn these people or even better, ignore them! Not with the ignore feature, just don't read their posts and if you do then pity them for having to go through life as such an idiot.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
10-09-2012, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 12:23 PM by Anjele.)
I've said it in one way or another before, but I think the active members of this forum, along with the mods, admin, etc., do a pretty good job of getting things back under control when things spiral into crazyland. It's kind of a self-policing community but there is a lot of freedom. As I stated, I cannot abide the use of the term "retard", I didn't suggest a banning or a lashing...I stated how I felt about it's use. I think that decent, intelligent people know better...but, that's my gig...some agreed, some didn't.

You will never get me jacked up over a swear word of any sort. In our family, swearing is part of pur genetic makeup. I do edit myself at times. If I am really frustrated. I will let fly with all the words. But I tend to hold back on using "God" curses out of respect, it's a habit after living in the deep south for so long.

Scrambling potentially swear words doesn't remove the words. I mean really, watch a football game (American football and don't start that old argument) you can lip read some serious cursing without any effort. Is it any less a swear word because you can't hear it? No. So scrambling a word that may be offensive is the same concept.

I agree with not using certain terms in a derogatory fashion just to stir things up.

I am actually more grumpy about the recent, multiple times we have been called idiots...by he who hall not be named cause it may conjure him up.

And then there are the people that say something that hurt someone else and they come back and apologize.

This is a good place.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-09-2012, 11:39 AM
(10-09-2012 11:00 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Guess it's time for me to chime in on this nonsense.

Dom, you seem to have convinced yourself that this forum should be what you want it to be. That is not the case. Truth is, I expect you'll be gone within the week, and I'm ok with that. You see, there's no such thing as a forum that is right for everyone. You need protection from the big bad world via silly things like scrambling words. And that's fine, but you won't find it here.

As far as Seth goes.....everyone needs to get over it. Seth does not participate in the forum. He doesn't make the rules. He has nothing to do with the forum at all. So if you want to blame someone for the forum being anarchy, stop blaming the guy who isn't part of the forum. It's stupid. Instead, blame me.

Look, this forum isn't right for everyone. Accept it. It's not the end of the world if you realize it's not for you. Just move on. There's other forums out there that could very well accommodate you. Stop wasting your time on this one, and go seek out one that is the right fit for your needs.

Privacy issues were my thoughts with the word scrambling. I would think people browsing the forum on a work pc or open network would be sensitive to traffic of offensive words leading to them even if it is something they choose to skim over..? Characterize it as protection from misunderstandings I guess.

Incidentally, why is the whole forum completely open to the interwebz? It would be nice to have certain sections that are "for members only" to escape search crawlers? I'd prolly post my pic if I knew it wouldn't be open to the world wide web to see Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
(10-09-2012 11:39 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  I'd prolly post my pic if I knew it wouldn't be open to the world wide web to see Cool

..but you'll post trainwreck's pic and ID. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
10-09-2012, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 11:55 AM by Logica Humano.)
Just a disclaimer, I am not really on either side of this debate (I really don't care). I am just interested in how everyone can defend their arguments.

(10-09-2012 09:44 AM)bemore Wrote:  I cant answer that I can only speak for myself...... I support free speech...... banning racist words to me is like putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la la la la la" it wont stop it from happening in the outside world.

I do not think the intent is to stop it in the outside world. I think the intent is to cut down on the amount of racist slander that Earmuffs and Trainwreck make. Consistently.

(10-09-2012 09:44 AM)bemore Wrote:  If your interested in what the majority think bro then maybe you should create a poll Consider

I would, but I am not that invested in the topic. I am interested in people justifying their allowing racists to post as much as they want on this forum.

(10-09-2012 09:49 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Sure, you also can't be racist to Jewish people, black people, Hispanic people, and so on. Cool

Name a single recent news headline that has ever mentioned anyone discriminating against white people.

(10-09-2012 10:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  If you're referring to my comments, I did not say democracy is the foundation of this board. Rather, a benevolent dictatorship is the best description.

Try impartial dictatorship.

(10-09-2012 10:35 AM)Vosur Wrote:  It's the first option. I do not even know how people like that function in the real world, where you are faced with actual racism, insults, bigotry, etc. If they are offended by posts on the Internet, what the hell are they going to do if they face a racist in real life? Start breaking down and crying?

So should a person not take a threat seriously if they receive one on the forum? I mean jeez, if they can't handle one over the internet, how could they ever handle one in real life? There's an ignore button. Why would we ban people who threaten?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-09-2012, 11:46 AM
(10-09-2012 11:43 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Just a disclaimer, I am not really on either side of this debate (I really don't care). I am just interested in how everyone can defend their arguments.

(10-09-2012 09:44 AM)bemore Wrote:  I cant answer that I can only speak for myself...... I support free speech...... banning racist words to me is like putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la la la la la" it wont stop it from happening in the outside world.

I do not think the intent is to stop it in the outside world. I think the intent is to cut down on the amount of racist slander that Earmuffs and Trainwreck make. Consistently.

(10-09-2012 09:44 AM)bemore Wrote:  If your interested in what the majority think bro then maybe you should create a poll Consider

I would, but I am not that invested in the topic. I am interested in people justifying their allowing racists to post as much as they want on this forum.

(10-09-2012 09:49 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Sure, you also can't be racist to Jewish people, black people, Hispanic people, and so on. Cool

Name a single recent news headline that has ever mentioned anyone discriminating against white people.

(10-09-2012 09:44 AM)bemore Wrote:  If you're referring to my comments, I did not say democracy is the foundation of this board. Rather, a benevolent dictatorship is the best description.

Try impartial dictatorship.

(10-09-2012 09:44 AM)bemore Wrote:  It's the first option. I do not even know how people like that function in the real world, where you are faced with actual racism, insults, bigotry, etc. If they are offended by posts on the Internet, what the hell are they going to do if they face a racist in real life? Start breaking down and crying?

So should a person not take a threat seriously if they receive one on the forum? I mean jeez, if they can't handle one over the internet, how could they ever handle one in real life? There's an ignore button. Why would we ban people who threaten?

The last two quotes were not mine bro.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-09-2012, 11:46 AM
(10-09-2012 11:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  

I don't need any protection, I'm all growed up.

And I don't aim to make anything what I want it to be, I am vocal and I have view points and I voice them and people think about them. And that is what most forums are about anyways.

I just don't like seeing good people who contribute good stuff leaving because nutcases who contribute crap prevail. Makes no freaking sense to me.

So, is this an invitation for me to pack it up? My opinions bother you enough to invite me to leave?

Hmmmmm..... (bites tongue, avoids comparison to recent events and contradictions in ethics)

If you were all growed up, I would think you would realize that the leap from, "I suspect you'll be gone" to "an invitation to leave" is pretty extreme. Don't get me wrong. I won't need a hanky to dry my tears if you leave. But I never invited you to leave. I speculated you would leave.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
...and this topic is bullshit. Earmuffs is a total dickhead, but I agree with him here. Words are noise. People are afraid to open the closet door of their minds to find out just why they find such terminology offensive, and "polite society" gives them that license.

"Yankee" is not offensive because we laughed about it. We laugh about fuckwad and asshat. Maybe we're not ready to laugh about nigger and kike, but we should be headed in that direction. Cause the other direction just doesn't fucking work.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post