Racism on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
RE: Racism on this forum
(10-09-2012 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 02:54 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I put 2 spoonfuls of sugar on my cornflakes.

White sugar?

Where you been Chas??? Place has gone to pot since youve been gone.

I blame your Ex-Wife Dodgy

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
And by the way, 'self-censorship' is just the politically charged way of saying 'good manners'.

Of course you should exercise a little self-censorship; otherwise you end up like Trainwreck, Bishadi, AoC, ... Good fuckin' luck with that.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
(10-09-2012 03:00 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  White sugar?

Where you been Chas??? Place has gone to pot since youve been gone.

I blame your Ex-Wife Dodgy

You make a good case. Consider

10-09-2012, 03:03 PM
(10-09-2012 02:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 02:54 PM)Magoo Wrote:  I put 2 spoonfuls of sugar on my cornflakes.

White sugar?

Yes.
10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
(10-09-2012 01:47 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 01:31 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Stark and Dom,

you should just drop it, don't you see that this is going nowhere?

Dom,

Stark wasn't suggesting that you should keep your thoughts to yourself. Contrary to that, he said "[...] perhaps I could lead by example by saying what I have to say in my own words instead of censoring myself to accommodate other peoples sensitivities". He's encouraging us to voice your opinion without sugarcoating it. That's the exact opposite of him wanting you to change your opinion or telling you to keep quiet about it.

That being said, Stark also specifically said that he speculates on a few people leaving, never did he say that he thinks a lot of people are going to leave.

Stark,

while I'm convinced that you like freedom of speech as much as I do, I think you should be able to empathize with Dom's point of view. I can completely understand why she doesn't want it to appear on here. If I was as sensitive as I used to be, I would probably never have entered this site, judging by some of the things I've seen.

And now both of you take a deep breath and chill out. Sleepy

A German Peacemaker. Who woulda thunk it?

Oh wait. Was that racist? Tongue

No, just really fucking insensitive. I imagine Vosur is sobbing over his keyboard right now. Shame on you.

10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
(10-09-2012 02:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  P.s. I'm back from Montreal; great visit.

Did you take care to write your graffiti in both english and french?
10-09-2012, 03:15 PM
I haven't thought this through, but I wonder if something along these lines might help resolve the racism issue:

What if, whenever a taboo term (no need list them) appeared in a post, the thread the post was in would get a little red dot in its listing. I'm no techie, but I imagine that wouldn't be hard to program. The explanation of the dot would be: "Warning. This thread contains language relating to race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation that some people find abusive. If you would be offended by such language, do not open the thread."

That way people could continue to express themselves exactly how they want to, while those wishing not to be exposed to that kind of language would have sufficient warning.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
10-09-2012, 03:19 PM
(10-09-2012 02:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 02:39 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You can't be racist to the French or to Germans. They aren't a race of people.

If you go back to where this started, you will see that I didn't accuse 'Muffs of racism.

I am a believer in good communication, and good manners, good spelling, good punctuation, and good vocabulary contribute to it.

I suggested he stop using the 'N' word.

I did that because it is offensive, and detracts from whatever he is trying to say. His use was gratuitous, unnecessary, and callous.

If anyone else does the same sort of thing, I will ask that he or she please not do that. I will use the -2 rep hammer freely.

Why are you saying this to me?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-09-2012, 03:19 PM
This is a nonissue.

Just like they would have the free speech to say something with racist implications, you have the free speech to scold them for it.

There is no need to "Censor" racist posts, what is needed is "Self Censoring."

If you don't want to be percieved as a bigotted dick, then don't post bigotted shit with legitimate racist conotations

Simple as that.

And if you do poste that stuff, prepare to get verbally stomped on by me, poste haste.Thumbsup

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
10-09-2012, 03:20 PM
(10-09-2012 02:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  He didn't fail to understand; he chose to not understand, he refused to even consider understanding, he was being a little snot.Dodgy

And how much effort are you putting into understanding his views? Seems to me you're writing him off as wrong just as quickly as he is doing to others.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.