Racism on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-09-2012, 04:59 AM
RE: Racism on this forum
(10-09-2012 06:52 PM)BnW Wrote:  I apologize for not reading all 22 pages of this thread. I made it through the first 12 and thought I had the gist of it. Hopefully I'm not overly repetitive here.

Anyway, I too have noticed some of the racism in this forum. Ghost had pointed it out at one point. It's not one person and it's not one thread. Some of it was an attempt to be funny but the argument that meaning to be funny is a valid excuse for slurs is, at least in my opinion, wrong. The original complaint that started this thread was, at least in my humble opinion, absolutely valid. His proposed solution was, also in my humble opinion, absolutely wrong. Censorship and the suppression of ideas through force or the delete key is never the right approach. When you hide from ideas you don't like, you only empower them and give them strength. The way you combat stupidity, racism, hate, intolerance, etc., is by highlight it for what it is and show those people to the community in all their ignorant glory. This is an intelligent group of people and able to discern who makes a reasoned argument and who is just an idiot trying to get a rise out of people.

Not that he needs my endorsement, but I am 100% in agreement with how Stark has chosen to manage these issues. You're never going to please everyone but pleasing everyone is not a requirement. I think it's far more important that people have the ability to speak, or write in this instance, their mind than to have someone grant themselves the power to decide what is appropriate or inappropriate speech. And, if someone says something that offends you, ignore them. Or their statement. Or fight back. All of those are within your rights. What is not in your rights is to live in a bubble and not be offended.

This.

Also, just because something is said in jest doesn't stop it being offensive. Or rather, it doesn't stop people taking offense. I can jokingly call one friend a soulless ginger, but if I do it to another he'd take offense. He'd just remember all the times he was bullied for being different and he would stop talking to me for a week. I could call him oversensitive and tell him to live in the real world, but the damage has been done. It doesn't matter if I tell him I was bullied for being different too. Whether I meant it or not, he has been hurt. Why would I want to do that to him?
(I know gingers aren't a race, I am trying to use analogies because I like analogies.)

Now, the threads in question, those things weren't even said jokingly.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
11-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Gingers aren't a race? Where do you live? Of course they are a race, it is the most hated race of Eric Cartman, right after those Jews. Jews and gingers, my God, horrible. Imagine a ginger Jew...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfkKSMs533kORhXELz8aT...9X9WVPIVfb]

I am being insensitive? Oh really?

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
11-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Gingers are dying out allegedly..... im sure I read an article about it a long time ago but then again it could of been a hoax..... something about genes or something Consider

So leave the gingers alone..... they are an endangered species Confused

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
11-09-2012, 07:36 AM
(11-09-2012 04:53 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  I skimmed over the last 100 posts except for a few... but why are so many here trying to gang rape earmuffs? Cos that's how it comes across...

Isn't that how you guys want it? You want the community to oust ignorance?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
11-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Yay! MuffDiver is back!
Don't ever threaten to run off like that again you sexybeast. Hug

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
11-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Yeah, it is good to see that the muff man hasn't left.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
I can't believe I am saying this, but I am glad he didn't have the balls to follow through. Though it is sad to see he is still continuing in his ignorance.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
11-09-2012, 08:20 AM
(11-09-2012 08:01 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  MuffDiver is back!

Muff diver!
You've been down too long in the midnight sea!

[Image: opforum1.png]
11-09-2012, 08:30 AM
This thing is still going? Words hurt. No shit. I'd rather use words to cut someone down than physical violence because it has a long-lasting effect.

Trying to overuse words like "nigger" or "faggot" or any other word associated with a negative stereotype in order to desensitize them is absurd. That is a blatant attempt to redefine the word. Why would you want to do that? Fuck those words. I want them to exist with their negative connotations because I can use them as an identifier for fools, ignorant-asses, and racists. They demonstrate the very animal nature of humans and the "in-group" mentality we all adhere to, just like other animals.

Language may be the only real thing separating us from other animals and ALL of the words serve a purpose, and not all of them good. So use whatever words you wish, but don't expect people to be okay with your use of certain words, especially for those of us who grew up in places where racism still runs rampant and words like nigger are VERY MUCH USED TO OFFEND. The fucking KKK was founded 15 minutes from where I grew up and even came to my fucking high school once. I have no patience for ignorance and assholes.

There are only 2 things I am intolerant of, stupidity and intolerance.

Evolve
[+] 6 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
11-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I also like the quote by Hitch for this thread that I just put into my sig.

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence." - Christopher Hitchens

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post