Racism on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-09-2012, 08:36 AM
RE: Racism on this forum
(12-09-2012 07:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 06:58 AM)bemore Wrote:  (hands over a crows feather)

Flap those ears..... you CAN fly!!!!!

WAIT A MINUTE!

are you calling me fat and dumb!!??

[Image: imgDumbo4.jpg]

I will have you know that I have an average sized nose thank you very much. Dodgy

Well........ im proud of my Roman like hooter.

Ive ever I became a cokehead it would be ideal for hoovering up great lines Smile

[Image: 77192_459427683393_1420906_n.jpg]

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like bemore's post
12-09-2012, 10:22 AM
(12-09-2012 08:36 AM)bemore Wrote:  Well........ im proud of my Roman like hooter.

Ive ever I became a cockhead it would be ideal for hoovering up great lines Smile

[Image: 77192_459427683393_1420906_n.jpg]
Fixed. Wink

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
12-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Apologies for bringing back a settled dispute back from the dead, but I was just reading through this again and saw all the controversy on the use of the dreaded "N" word. (shudders......).

Earmuffs - I understand your point and why you use certain words. However, I would make a counter point to you, and that is this: when you use the word "nigger" or some of the other colorful words you choose to use in this forum, you come off as someone who does not wish to be taken seriously. In my opinion, you diminish the value of anything you have to say. I see it as an obvious attention getter, a word that adds no value to your position and certainly does not buttress your point, and pretty much leaves me to the conclusion that you can be dismissed or ignored. It's the visual equivalent of wearing a clown suit to a job interview. There is no way I'm now taking you seriously.

The great thing about forums like these is we are all equals here. No one is too fat or thin, too short or tall, the wrong color, the wrong sex, the wrong sexuality, etc. There are many down sides to the internet but one of the upsides is all you have to judge people is how they present the strengths and passions of their beliefs. Anonymity allows us to say things we would never say in "real" life but it also gives us the ability to be judged only the content of our character and not the other external factors that often lead to prejudice. We all start out as equals here and all have the same opportunities to be respected or shunned.

When you use the words that you do, the issue is not that you are offending me or anyone else. The issue is you are diminishing yourself. You can make all the arguments you want about the power of words and trying to take the power away, but, for me at least, all you do is diminish your argument. The history of the word is such that you are not in a position to diminish its power all on your own. It's the kind of thing that happens over time through people treating each other as equals and not as characters or races.

I'm sure the least of your concerns is how I view your posts, but this is not about how I view you but more about how you are viewed in the community. You have, in my view, every right to present yourself as you see fit with whatever words you desire to use. Others have the right to view you accordingly.

Take it for what it's worth.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
12-09-2012, 02:20 PM
(12-09-2012 10:22 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 08:36 AM)bemore Wrote:  Ive ever I became a cockhead it would be ideal for hoovering up great lines Smile
Fixed. Wink

[Image: mefunny.jpg]

Excuse me Big Grin

Id stand back, ive got a bit of a cold......

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 5 users Like bemore's post
12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
(12-09-2012 12:54 PM)BnW Wrote:  When you use the words that you do, the issue is not that you are offending me or anyone else. The issue is you are diminishing yourself. You can make all the arguments you want about the power of words and trying to take the power away, but, for me at least, all you do is diminish your argument. The history of the word is such that you are not in a position to diminish its power all on your own. It's the kind of thing that happens over time through people treating each other as equals and not as characters or races.

Well said.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
12-09-2012, 06:13 PM
(12-09-2012 02:45 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Well said.

I'm not just a pretty face, you know.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
12-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:you come off as someone who does not wish to be taken seriously.

Son, take a seat and allow me to explain a few things to you so you may understand.

I am not a serious person. I can say serious stuff but that doesn't mean I have to say it in a serious way. I can be casual and still get a serious point across.
You see, I come on here to have a bit fun, banter with you clowns as well as getting those good discussions like in the science or political sub-forums.
I don't come on here because I HAVE too, I don't feel obligated like it's some sort of chore and I'm sure everyone (except perhaps the mods) is the same.
So why do I have to be serious all the time? If I can get the point across in a fun casual way as opposed to a serious ridged way then I really fail to see the problem with that.
This is not a job, it's an internet forum.

Quote:In my opinion, you diminish the value of anything you have to say.

Then sir you have something fundamentally wrong with you if you dismiss anything that has a slight casual feel to it. That is your problem, not mine.

Oh and I'm seriously not forcing anyone to read my posts, just sayin.

Quote:I see it as an obvious attention getter, a word that adds no value to your position and certainly does not buttress your point, and pretty much leaves me to the conclusion that you can be dismissed or ignored.

Actually it does add value and meaning to my posts.

And again, not forcing you too actually read them. If you wanna dismiss them at the first sign of nigga then that sir is your problem.

Quote:Anonymity allows us to say things we would never say in "real" life

How I talk on here is exactly how I talk with my friends.
(Not how I talk at work, university, around other people etc.. of course)
And again, I come on here to have a bit of fun, I'm not here to "watch my language, shoulders back, stand up straight, do your homework".

Quote:but it also gives us the ability to be judged only the content of our character

Sure, and out of my what 1,500 posts I've said nigger how many times?
Judging on content huh?

Quote:The issue is you are diminishing yourself.

Nigga please.

The only reason this is still an issue is because some people are having a fucking cry about it.

Where's my Chopper video?

Ah, here it is.

Quote:The history of the word is such that you are not in a position to diminish its power all on your own.

See son, you really don't know enough about me to be making judgments.
If you did you wouldn't have said "you can't do this all on your own".
If it's one thing in this world I hate, it's people telling me I can't do shit (unless it's true, I mean I'm not exactly gonna win gold for 100m sprints any time soon).

Quote: It's the kind of thing that happens over time through people treating each other as equals and not as characters or races.

Just like to add that I'm not targeting one particular group of people when I say nigga, but rather anyone.

Quote:I'm sure the least of your concerns is how I view your posts

You sir are correct.

Quote: but this is not about how I view you but more about how you are viewed in the community.

Son, there are people I get along with here and others I have next to no interaction.
You for example, I hardly ever see you around likely because we don't post in the same threads.
The ones causing the fuss are the latter, I know what a lot of people I do care about's opinion, opinion is. If you'll look this thread hardly expresses a large amount of people on this forums opinion but rather a few here and there.

Quote:You have, in my view, every right to present yourself as you see fit with whatever words you desire to use. Others have the right to view you accordingly.

Agreed.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
12-09-2012, 09:19 PM
(12-09-2012 06:13 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 02:45 PM)cufflink Wrote:  Well said.

I'm not just a pretty face, you know.

Nothing wrong with being both. Wink

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
13-09-2012, 06:15 AM
(12-09-2012 09:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't come on here because I HAVE too, I don't feel obligated like it's some sort of chore and I'm sure everyone (except perhaps the mods) is the same.

Totally not a chore being on here for this mod Smile.

Or any of the others as far as I'm aware.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
13-09-2012, 07:00 AM
(13-09-2012 06:15 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 09:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't come on here because I HAVE too, I don't feel obligated like it's some sort of chore and I'm sure everyone (except perhaps the mods) is the same.
I
Totally not a chore being on here for this mod Smile.

Or any of the others as far as I'm aware.

It is a chore dealing with you and Scotty. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My