Racism on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-09-2012, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 02:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Racism on this forum
(08-09-2012 02:33 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Hmm, no offense, but I think you've got blinders on if you think there's no racism on this forum. My response is to close the page, wander off, and come back after a day or two once and ignore the thread from there on.

I'm not saying we should censor anything, or shut anyone up. Unfortunately, I don't have the right not to be offended, and neither does anyone else. This forum has always been open to everyone, even bigots. We all have something to offer.
But let's not kid ourselves and say it's not there, ok?

You might not have the right not to be offended, but you do have the ability to find something offensive without being offended. TrainWreck, for example, goes out of his way to be offensive, which is precisely why he has no chance of ever offending me.

Hell I find religion offensive, but believers don't offend me. I pity them if anything.

This is a useful discussion you have started Ohio. You might as well stick around long enough to see where it leads. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-09-2012, 03:50 PM
(08-09-2012 02:20 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  But this forum is not a free for all. I disagree. You cant have one way and not the other.
This forum is proof of the opposite.

(08-09-2012 02:20 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Either open this up all the way and make this SPAMMERS WELCOME! and Threats OK. or have the rules that most of society lives by.
I don't accept your dichotomy. Different societies have different restrictions on freedom of speech and as far as I know, there is none that has no restrictions at all. Why would that be any different for different boards on the Internet? Those who are in control decide what is allowed to say and what isn't, that applies to both the real world and the Internet.

(08-09-2012 02:20 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Only a moron or ignorant ass would be for racism.
Was that supposed to be an ad hominem? Consider

i.e. "Those who disagree with my opinion are are morons/ignorant asses."

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
08-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I find a lot of things here offensive. And I have voiced the opinion that solutions should be found that make it possible to avoid offensive things if one is so inclined.

I have not read racist threads with exception of holocaust ones since I am a native german and I was just curious how anyone could be pro-holocaust.

The thread where "mentally challenged" people were called retards was the same type of thing as racist, except that I don't think the OP meant it that way. But it trampled on people's sensitivity.

Thing is, this is like the world here. All kinds of people from every type of background come here. Genders, ages, cultures, religious views, races - it's a hodgepodge of people here.

And that is an aspect I enjoy, even though it makes it difficult to avoid material one does not wish to be exposed to.

Ohio, how many people here do you think knew you were of hispanic origin before you posted it just now? So then, how many people wanted to offend you? At least you know it was never personal.

People have stupid opinions. And all stupid opinions, including religious ones, are based on ignorance and prejudice (prejudice by definition is an opinion that became rooted without having been actually examined).

Racism is one of these things that bounces back and forth like a ball. When I first moved to the US decades ago, I was met with tons of prejudice and hostility because I was born and raised in Germany. Of course it was unjust, I wasn't alive during Hitler's days and had nothing to do with it. Why was I a target? Because germans were racist towards jews. So this bounces back and forth. Today we have yet another generation and my issue seems to have resolved itself for me.

Think about it. By taking it personal, feeling offended and removing yourself, you are actually supporting it. Show them how stupid they are, or at least show them that their crap can't touch you, that you are proud of who you are.

Prejudice is just ignorant, stupid stuff uttered by people who made decision not based on knowledge or experience but they are spouting what they have been conditioned to believe.

Exactly like most religious people. No basis or foundation, just ignorant babble.

Don't let it get you down! It's part of the world, and it needs fixing.

Next time you see it in a thread, feel free to message me with the link and I'll go give them a piece of my mind. We can have at it together, and maybe a bunch of others will join in. They get to have their voices heard in the world, let's at least make them hear ours. If they find that offensive, let them be the ones to leave. You belong here.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 13 users Like Dom's post
08-09-2012, 04:14 PM
(08-09-2012 03:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Think about it. By taking it personal, feeling offended and removing yourself, you are actually supporting it. Show them how stupid they are, or at least show them that their crap can't touch you, ...

You yokozuna, Dom.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
08-09-2012, 04:28 PM
(08-09-2012 04:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 03:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Think about it. By taking it personal, feeling offended and removing yourself, you are actually supporting it. Show them how stupid they are, or at least show them that their crap can't touch you, ...

You yokozuna, Dom.

Yikes, a 20 kilo rope around my waist! Luckily I don't have the habit of beating up my man servants. Not to say I haven't been tempted. Beat_stick

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Can I just point out. If we allowed bots to post their spam on the forum. It's ALL you would see on this forum. I've banned between 15-20 spam bots all within the space of a few hours earlier today. That's a smaller number than we've had daily over the last month or so. A number which has been increasing.
If the using up forum resources, or not paying to advertise aren't good enough reasons to keep spam off the forum, Then stopping them from making the boards unusable should be.

As for the comments made by a certain member. The best way to deal with that kind of shit was said by Dom
(08-09-2012 03:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Next time you see it in a thread, feel free to message me with the link and I'll go give them a piece of my mind. We can have at it together, and maybe a bunch of others will join in. They get to have their voices heard in the world, let's at least make them hear ours. If they find that offensive, let them be the ones to leave. You belong here.

Other members of this community telling someone that a certain behaviour is unacceptable. Is the best way to deal with this. Look at the white people love Hitler thread. Someone made a stupid post, The community hammered them for it, and they very quickly backed off.

The reason it didn't happen in this case is, most of us when we see the user in question's posts, ignore them. I'm one of them. If it had been anyone else I'm certain the community would have kicked their arse for it.
08-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I was shown this by someone, thought it fit.
Freedom freedom oi!

http://i.imgur.com/OcvTE.gif

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
08-09-2012, 06:25 PM
What forum thread is he talking about?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
08-09-2012, 06:49 PM
(08-09-2012 06:25 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  What forum thread is he talking about?

I assume he is referencing earmuff and trainwreck when they use the word "nigger", which is known to be a derogatory term, and their only defense for it is, "It's just a word."

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
08-09-2012, 07:11 PM
(08-09-2012 06:49 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 06:25 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  What forum thread is he talking about?

I assume he is referencing earmuff and trainwreck when they use the word "nigger", which is known to be a derogatory term, and their only defense for it is, "It's just a word."

I know that is is a known deragotory term.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.