Racism on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-09-2012, 08:38 PM
RE: Racism on this forum
(08-09-2012 08:27 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 08:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If people are hurt so much by one little word then quite frankly they need to sack the fuck up.

Hmm... lemme see...

Killed
Tortured
Raped
Sodomized
Beaten
Degraded
Victimized
Abused
Preyed Upon

... and the list goes on. In your mind, it's one little word. In reality, it is a contemptuous term, used when oppressing. What's listed above really did happen.

Hurt so much by one [...] word?

Yes.

You've got ears, take your own advice and sack the fuck up.

And were you enslaved or lynched by the KKK?
Nope.

Am I using it in a degrading and racist way?
Nope.

Am I going to stop using it?
You guessed it, Nope.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2012, 08:39 PM
(08-09-2012 08:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 08:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  Really? Are you such a stupid little boy that you haven't figured out yet that words matter?

Or are you just an insensitive jerk devoid of the ability to feel empathy?

the second one.

Call me a word I don't like and you will find no peace at TTA. Not until they decide to find a way to ban me.

Now sack up and all is forgotten, because other than this I like you.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-09-2012, 09:16 PM
(08-09-2012 08:38 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 08:27 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Hmm... lemme see...

Killed
Tortured
Raped
Sodomized
Beaten
Degraded
Victimized
Abused
Preyed Upon

... and the list goes on. In your mind, it's one little word. In reality, it is a contemptuous term, used when oppressing. What's listed above really did happen.

Hurt so much by one [...] word?

Yes.

You've got ears, take your own advice and sack the fuck up.

And were you enslaved or lynched by the KKK?
Nope.

Am I using it in a degrading and racist way?
Nope.

Am I going to stop using it?
You guessed it, Nope.

Are you trying to take back the term?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-09-2012, 09:22 PM
What was the original meaning for nigger anyway?

I don't mean any offense.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
08-09-2012, 09:24 PM
(08-09-2012 09:22 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  What was the original meaning for nigger anyway?

Latin adjective niger for "color black".

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-09-2012, 09:26 PM
(08-09-2012 09:24 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 09:22 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  What was the original meaning for nigger anyway?

Latin adjective niger for "color black".

Thats what I thought, but I thought there had to be something offensive in the definition to make it such a bad term.

I guess it was in the way they used it. So the term is offensive in the way somebody uses it?

Or has it gained the offensive status because of the way it WAS/IS used.

08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Racist terms were intended to be judgmental and hurtful, as well as a easy way to identify someone. Along with these terms are attached negative sterotypes, so that's why no one likes them.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
08-09-2012, 09:34 PM
(08-09-2012 09:28 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Racist terms were intended to be judgmental and hurtful, as well as a easy way to identify someone. Along with these terms are attached negative sterotypes, so that's why no one likes them.

I get that, what I am trying to say is the fact that the term above is used in a judgemental way, and thats why its offensive.

Now, I don't condone the use of the word, but if earmuffs wasn't attributing to a RACE or being judgemental about a race, then by definition, by way of useage, it is not racist WITHIN this context.

The word has racist ties, and might have an overtly racist conotation to them, but the USAGE would only be racist if earmuffs was attributing it to a race.

I am anti-racist, but we give the word meanings, we are their masters.

[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
08-09-2012, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 09:45 PM by fstratzero.)
No need to jump onto the hate train. Rather it's important to understand and discuss these topics, while trying not to get emotionally charged. If you can do that, then I invite you to see a brief history of the word.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
09-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Discrimination and hate feel uncomfortable. It intimidates, it hurts, it offends, it oppresses and it's ignorant.

It comes in many, many forms. It feels like being bullied.

Our natural reactions are the fight or flight response. It seems in the OP that Ohio wants us all to fight and if we can't, then the next option is flight. To leave.

In my opinion, neither reaction is satisfactory. Neither action changes anything. It just separates the offender from the offended.

Education and example are what helps a situation. Maybe the saying, 'It takes a village to raise a child' could be appropriate. Hate is an infant in the stages of maturity, like a child, when it comes to labelling and stereotyping a group of people.

What happened in Trainwreck's life that has made him so bitter and hateful? What an awful place to be.

As far as Earmuffs, I get what he's trying to do. I get it and understand it. But, I don't respect that. If you've been a victim of something, even something generations back, it's still a sore spot, it still has weight to it no matter how much you try to disenchant. When a society has a polite norm, there are times and places to break it and always isn't the time or place. I'm sure my brother wishes the politeness of burping in public were obsolete and when we meet up at a mall and he embarrasses the shit out of me, I don't punch him in the face or leave him stranded at the table. Though I want to do both things, I just gently remind him that his burp is obnoxious and his breath stinks, and the next time we meet up it won't be in such a crowded public space. He takes the hint and settles down because he realizes he won't get anymore free meals from his big sister.
[+] 6 users Like LadyJane's post