Racism on this forum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-09-2012, 09:12 AM
RE: Racism on this forum
(10-09-2012 09:04 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 09:00 AM)bemore Wrote:  Democracy isnt for everybody unfortunatley.

So who does it favor? The racists or the meek?

I dont think he was interested in a diplomatic solution to this.... it was either his way or no way...... never mind how other people feel about the subject.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2012, 09:16 AM
(10-09-2012 09:12 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 09:04 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  So who does it favor? The racists or the meek?

I dont think he was interested in a diplomatic solution to this.... it was either his way or no way...... never mind how other people feel about the subject.

I am interested in a diplomatic solution. Now can you answer my question?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm gonna throw my thoughts in here. I don't think earmuffs is being racist. I kinda see where he's coming from. I think words themselves don't have meaning, we ascribe our own meaning and intent to words, their meaning depends on how they are used. Having said that I tend not to use perceived racist terms because I know that not everyone thinks the way I do. Whether that makes me more sensitive than earmuffs or simply less able to stand up for my beliefs is something for everyone to decide for themselves. I also think racism is when you view people differently and treat them differently because of the colour of their skin, I don't think someone using a particular word without malice or prejudice is racist.

Banning racism is not a simply issue of blacklisting certain words. Has anyone stopped to think about it? Surely if we were to ban perceived derogatory terms then we would have to ban insults about where people are from. There's no point banning racism but allowing people to insult other for being from Africa or Pakistan. So we'd have to ban that as well. But then you have the question about people like me and FSM_scot who regularly take the piss out of each other about our nationalities. Do we ban that? I assume no-one would be in favour of banning that but think about what that says. That says that because me and FSM_scot are both from predominantly white countries it's fine for us to joke around and insult each other, it's fine for Erx to join in because he's from a predominantly white country too. But anyone from a predominantly non-white country cannot be apart of any such conversations, whether they like it or not. That would be actual, real racism. That is treating people differently simply because of the colour of their skin. Anyone else seeing the issues here? For the record though, I'm totally against any rules changes anyway.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 8 users Like Hughsie's post
10-09-2012, 09:23 AM
It is common knowledge that those words' meanings possess racist connotations. There is no other reason to use that selection of words to express yourself than to be offensive or racist.

10-09-2012, 09:25 AM
(10-09-2012 09:16 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 09:12 AM)bemore Wrote:  I dont think he was interested in a diplomatic solution to this.... it was either his way or no way...... never mind how other people feel about the subject.

I am interested in a diplomatic solution. Now can you answer my question?

Are my options......

Racists.
Meek people
Or can I add my own answer???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-09-2012, 09:25 AM
(10-09-2012 09:25 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 09:16 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am interested in a diplomatic solution. Now can you answer my question?

Are my options......

Racists.
Meek people

You may answer any which way you want. Just don't make it a wall of text, I don't have much time left till I got to get back to work.

10-09-2012, 09:28 AM
This forum is pretty much anarchy due to Seth's directives.

I like anarchy as a theory, but it does not take into account that people are not perfect and hence you can't have the perfect system, which anarchy would be in my mind.

Without rules people get hurt because some people thrive on hurting others.

The rest just looks away or is incapable to empathize with things they have not experienced themselves.

I am not happy about the anarchy here and have said so before.

The message board has a feature that allows us to scramble words that are hurtful to some. It's a permanent fix that takes minutes to activate.

But this will not be done, and good people will keep getting hurt here and leaving.

And Seth himself has no idea how things work because he never takes part. He probably gets periodic reports - second hand and seen through the eyes of whoever reports.

I have been on the edge of leaving twice. There is a lot of value here, and also a lot of fun. But I have a hard time putting up with some of the crap - I don't like a lot of drama in my life, I like to enjoy every day.

For now I am hanging around, but don't be surprised if something turns out to be the straw that broke the camel's back some day.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-09-2012, 09:28 AM
(10-09-2012 09:21 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm gonna throw my thoughts in here. I don't think earmuffs is being racist. I kinda see where he's coming from. I think words themselves don't have meaning, we ascribe our own meaning and intent to words, their meaning depends on how they are used. Having said that I tend not to use perceived racist terms because I know that not everyone thinks the way I do. Whether that makes me more sensitive than earmuffs or simply less able to stand up for my beliefs is something for everyone to decide for themselves. I also think racism is when you view people differently and treat them differently because of the colour of their skin, I don't think someone using a particular word without malice or prejudice is racist.

Banning racism is not a simply issue of blacklisting certain words. Has anyone stopped to think about it? Surely if we were to ban perceived derogatory terms then we would have to ban insults about where people are from. There's no point banning racism but allowing people to insult other for being from Africa or Pakistan. So we'd have to ban that as well. But then you have the question about people like me and FSM_scot who regularly take the piss out of each other about our nationalities. Do we ban that? I assume no-one would be in favour of banning that but think about what that says. That says that because me and FSM_scot are both from predominantly white countries it's fine for us to joke around and insult each other, it's fine for Erx to join in because he's from a predominantly white country too. But anyone from a predominantly non-white country cannot be apart of any such conversations, whether they like it or not. That would be actual, real racism. That is treating people differently simply because of the colour of their skin. Anyone else seeing the issues here? For the record though, I'm totally against any rules changes anyway.

Scotty can stay, but you should be banned because you're English.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
10-09-2012, 09:29 AM
(10-09-2012 09:25 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 09:25 AM)bemore Wrote:  Are my options......

Racists.
Meek people

You may answer any which way you want. Just don't make it a wall of text, I don't have much time left till I got to get back to work.

Id say democracy suits the larger majority.

So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-09-2012, 09:29 AM
After slogging through this thread I get a better sense of what Atheism + is all about...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post