Racist Conservative Gun Nuts Getting A Taste Of Their Own Medicine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2015, 06:12 PM
RE: Racist Conservative Gun Nuts Getting A Taste Of Their Own Medicine
(13-01-2015 05:46 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, it's not like that at all.
Half of suicides are by firearm. That means the other half aren't. If there were no firearms, how many of those suicides would have happened by other means? Most?
Clearly, firearms don't cause suicides.

Actually it is a little more that half. Keep in mind most people who commit suicide, by lets say hanging, are in prision, where guns are scarce. You are right to say they don't cause suicide, but it makes it a hella a lot easier to kill yourself. Drop guns, the suicide rate will drop by a lot.

No, you are assuming facts not in evidence. We don't know whether the rate would drop at all.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-01-2015, 06:13 PM
(13-01-2015 06:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 05:46 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Actually it is a little more that half. Keep in mind most people who commit suicide, by lets say hanging, are in prision, where guns are scarce. You are right to say they don't cause suicide, but it makes it a hella a lot easier to kill yourself. Drop guns, the suicide rate will drop by a lot.

No, you are assuming facts not in evidence. We don't know whether the rate would drop at all.

It won't.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
14-01-2015, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2015 04:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-01-2015 06:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, you are assuming facts not in evidence. We don't know whether the rate would drop at all.

There is some evidence that when bridges are equipped with nets to discourage jumpers the rate does drop. Cornell's done this with their own Suicide Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge is slated to get them as well. Rates drop presumably because suicidal folk don't really go about it with a backup plan in mind. ... Lemme see if I can find the references. ... Here's one of them: Why the Net Will Work.

There was also an anecdote in my suicide prevention training about a soldier worried about his buddy who took the firing pin out of his weapon before he went on watch (not an action to be taken lightly). Dude tried to eat his gun and nothing happened. Hasn't tried again.

#sigh
14-01-2015, 05:11 PM
(14-01-2015 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 06:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, you are assuming facts not in evidence. We don't know whether the rate would drop at all.

There is some evidence that when bridges are equipped with nets to discourage jumpers the rate does drop. Cornell's done this with their own Suicide Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge is slated to get them as well. Rates drop presumably because suicidal folk don't really go about it with a backup plan in mind. ... Lemme see if I can find the references. ... Here's one of them: Why the Net Will Work.

There was also an anecdote in my suicide prevention training about a soldier worried about his buddy who took the firing pin out of his weapon before he went on watch (not an action to be taken lightly). Dude tried to eat his gun and nothing happened. Hasn't tried again.

I'm pretty sure the rate would drop, it's just not at all clear by how much.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2015, 05:24 PM
(14-01-2015 05:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is some evidence that when bridges are equipped with nets to discourage jumpers the rate does drop. Cornell's done this with their own Suicide Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge is slated to get them as well. Rates drop presumably because suicidal folk don't really go about it with a backup plan in mind. ... Lemme see if I can find the references. ... Here's one of them: Why the Net Will Work.

I'm not even sure how you would go about measuring it. Easy enough to measure that 90% of first time suicide attempt survivors don't try again. But suicide by gun is almost always lethal so they wouldn't even show up in that statistic. ... Except for Twisty of course.
[Image: twistyface.gif]

#sigh
14-01-2015, 05:42 PM
(14-01-2015 05:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 04:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is some evidence that when bridges are equipped with nets to discourage jumpers the rate does drop. Cornell's done this with their own Suicide Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge is slated to get them as well. Rates drop presumably because suicidal folk don't really go about it with a backup plan in mind. ... Lemme see if I can find the references. ... Here's one of them: Why the Net Will Work.

I found this. Harvard Injury Control Research Center: Suicide.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post