Racist Conservative Gun Nuts Getting A Taste Of Their Own Medicine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2015, 03:50 PM
RE: Racist Conservative Gun Nuts Getting A Taste Of Their Own Medicine
(12-01-2015 03:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  If we don't include suicide, it may well be a net positive. Try this source. Or this.
That's not a very balanced article.

Does the report cater for the affect that having more handguns in society means that the likelihood of someone to need to defend themselves from a handgun crime increases?

I don't think suicides should be waved off as irrelevant.

With a country that has a low handgun possession rate. Would you, if you were government, decide to remove the gun restrictions and let most people purchase and carry handguns?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2015, 04:40 PM
(12-01-2015 03:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 03:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  If we don't include suicide, it may well be a net positive. Try this source. Or this.

Does the report cater for the affect that having more handguns in society means that the likelihood of someone to need to defend themselves from a handgun crime increases?

Suicide is not irrelevant, but it is not the same as murder or accident. Half of suicides are by firearm - which means that half are not.

Quote:With a country that has a low handgun possession rate. Would you, if you were government, decide to remove the gun restrictions and let most people purchase and carry handguns?

It's not that simple. What is the rate of violent crime? A firearm allows an otherwise defenseless person to exercise the right of self-defense. Knives and martial arts don't even come close to leveling the field.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2015, 04:43 PM
(12-01-2015 03:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

With a country that has a low handgun possession rate. Would you, if you were government, decide to remove the gun restrictions and let most people purchase and carry handguns?

I agree with you on many points, but there is no point in arguing this. America loves guns more than anything, enda story. If you don't live in america, you have no need to worry. Also if it makes you feel better america sucks with guns, but there can be in places like honduras

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
12-01-2015, 04:50 PM
(12-01-2015 04:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's not that simple. What is the rate of violent crime? A firearm allows an otherwise defenseless person to exercise the right of self-defense. Knives and martial arts don't even come close to leveling the field.
A firearm also allows an otherwise weak aggressor to overpower a stronger victim and even potentially many victims at the same time.
12-01-2015, 04:51 PM
(12-01-2015 04:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's not that simple. What is the rate of violent crime? A firearm allows an otherwise defenseless person to exercise the right of self-defense. Knives and martial arts don't even come close to leveling the field.

To be real, only time a gun makes really good self-defense is with another gun. I know america says exercise is a sin, but doesn't mean knives and especially martial arts are not as good. Shit even the size is not an argument why a gun is better. A small guy knowing martial arts is stronger than a big guy with no martial arts. There is a reason they also suggest gun owners learn martial arts as well.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
12-01-2015, 05:03 PM
(12-01-2015 04:43 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  If you don't live in america, you have no need to worry.
Yeah, I'm not worried. NZ don't look towards USA and say, "Well, gee, it works well for them, why not do it over here too."

But I'm actually quite intrigued by the whole thing.
It seems really, really counter intuitive the whole "The problem with these shooting sprees is that we don't have enough guns. If we get more guns into society then people will stop shooting each other"
"I pity any poor fool that attempts to invade my home"

And the mentality that people want to use semi automatic rifles (a.k.a. AR-15's) inside their own homes as "defense" against potential intruders.
Also the vigilante aspect of just giving guns to the people and let them shoot at the crims, don't worry about training or accountability.
And the "make my day" policies. and the acknowledgement that handguns are very effective for crimes given the concealment aspect, however they want almost everybody to be able to carry handguns around public places.

It's just so out there, so amazing to me to see that people are touting the gun rights and saying don't worry about the 10,000 gun deaths, it's our constitutional right. We ought to defend ourselves.

It feels like they think with a gun in their own hands they are invincible and will almost certainly get the bad guy before they themselves get shot.
12-01-2015, 05:33 PM
(12-01-2015 05:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  But I'm actually quite intrigued by the whole thing.
It seems really, really counter intuitive the whole "The problem with these shooting sprees is that we don't have enough guns. If we get more guns into society then people will stop shooting each other"

Thank you. Everyone in the states think more guns=more saftey. It doesn't. Hell everyone now a days can get a gun. I live in NJ, and in camden you here gun shots every night. America knows how to hand guns like a 5 year old can handle a cobra. The only reason I care about gun laws now is because I still have to live here for a while longer. When I move I won't care, america can play IRL Call of Duty with each other.(though I don't think america is that crazy)

(12-01-2015 05:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  And the mentality that people want to use semi automatic rifles (a.k.a. AR-15's) inside their own homes as "defense" against potential intruders.

Are americans even aloud to own rifles for anything but hunting? Anyway, the thing is either gun owners are good or attackers are bad at what they do. Because any good attacker would wait until they can attack. I mean if people do think they can use guns with no martial arts, then any close range attacker has them fucked, especially if it is a sneak attack.

(12-01-2015 05:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Also the vigilante aspect of just giving guns to the people and let them shoot at the crims, don't worry about training or accountability.
And the "make my day" policies. and the acknowledgement that handguns are very effective for crimes given the concealment aspect, however they want almost everybody to be able to carry handguns around public places.

The reason they give a gun to most even without training is because the expect them to. Even with training, they don't know who they are selling a gun to. But second amendment, you gotta respect it.

Also on carrying handguns. America is not the most in shape country. Hell we are the second fattest. So carrying a gun around helps people feel safe and help them defend them selves even if the are some obese person on a scooter. I don't like it much either, as to be real, any one who thinks to sneak then attack, means with or without a gun, you would be dead. However I just leave it be, second amendment, got to respect it.

(12-01-2015 05:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It's just so out there, so amazing to me to see that people are touting the gun rights and saying don't worry about the 10,000 gun deaths, it's our constitutional right. We ought to defend ourselves.

See my problem is that america does not handle guns well. More people die by guns then are saved by guns. America has reached the point where everyone owns a gun, psychopaths, gang members, nuts, and even sociopaths. So to Americans the only way to defend your self from a gun is with a gun. In a way they are right on that. Unless it is at real close range, you can't do much to a gun owner without one of your own. The second amendment was made to give people that right, whether it be a good decision or not. To me no country should really have guns rights unless they have low murder rates and low suicide rates by gun. If they can do that, I don't care about if guns are used.

(12-01-2015 05:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It feels like they think with a gun in their own hands they are invincible and will almost certainly get the bad guy before they themselves get shot.

Well that is the problem, the expect a person with no thought on what to do to attack them. Any one who was smart would wait and attack the gun touter when the are not looking. Trust me, you can't pull out a gun when you don't have it on you or you can't pull it out. And of course it makes them feel invincible, you have something that kills quickly and can put people under your control. That part is not an american thing, it is a crazy person thing.

12-01-2015, 05:44 PM
(12-01-2015 04:51 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  

To be real, only time a gun makes really good self-defense is with another gun. I know america says exercise is a sin, but doesn't mean knives and especially martial arts are not as good. Shit even the size is not an argument why a gun is better. A small guy knowing martial arts is stronger than a big guy with no martial arts. There is a reason they also suggest gun owners learn martial arts as well.

Anyone with a gun is stronger than anyone with a knife or martial arts.
My 85 year-old great aunt fended off a young male intruder by using a .22 cal. rifle. Do you seriously suggest that she could have succeeded without a firearm?

12-01-2015, 05:50 PM
(12-01-2015 05:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 04:51 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  To be real, only time a gun makes really good self-defense is with another gun. I know america says exercise is a sin, but doesn't mean knives and especially martial arts are not as good. Shit even the size is not an argument why a gun is better. A small guy knowing martial arts is stronger than a big guy with no martial arts. There is a reason they also suggest gun owners learn martial arts as well.

Anyone with a gun is stronger than anyone with a knife or martial arts.
My 85 year-old great aunt fended off a young male intruder by using a .22 cal. rifle. Do you seriously suggest that she could have succeeded without a firearm?

Well that is not entirely true(the gun being stronger, not the aunt thing). It depends on the situation. Like have you seen the guy who swiped a shotgun from some guy? That is a situation where the guy with the gun is weaker. There are also situations where if someone catches someone off guard, like grabbed his/her arms a gun would work? No. I ain't trying to say guns are not better, just that it depends on the situation and the person. Which is why your aunt works better with a gun, and I work better with martial arts.

12-01-2015, 05:55 PM
(12-01-2015 05:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 04:43 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  If you don't live in america, you have no need to worry.
Yeah, I'm not worried. NZ don't look towards USA and say, "Well, gee, it works well for them, why not do it over here too."

But I'm actually quite intrigued by the whole thing.

And the mentality that people want to use semi automatic rifles (a.k.a. AR-15's) inside their own homes as "defense" against potential intruders.

You are once again displaying ignorance and/or misunderstanding. A semiautomatic rifle is not anyone's first choice for home defense.

Quote:Also the vigilante aspect of just giving guns to the people and let them shoot at the crims, don't worry about training or accountability.

If someone means to harm you, what will you do? What if you can't get away?

Quote:And the "make my day" policies.

What are those?

Quote:and the acknowledgement that handguns are very effective for crimes given the concealment aspect, however they want almost everybody to be able to carry handguns around public places.

They who? Who wants this?

Quote:It's just so out there, so amazing to me to see that people are touting the gun rights and saying don't worry about the 10,000 gun deaths, it's our constitutional right. We ought to defend ourselves.

The majority of which are suicides.

Quote:It feels like they think with a gun in their own hands they are invincible and will almost certainly get the bad guy before they themselves get shot.

Not invincible, empowered - able to defend oneself.