Poll: Is the 1940 Disney Character Racist?
Yes
No
It's Ambiguous
[Show Results]

Racist Disney Character?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2014, 06:06 PM
RE: Racist Disney Character?
(12-02-2014 05:54 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I don't remember the crows from Dumbo. That movie gave me nightmares. I don't know why but that was one of the scariest movies of my childhood.

I just want to hug you...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-02-2014, 06:22 PM
It seems pretty stereotypical and racist. A lot of those old Disney movies used awful stereotypes.

That being said, I don't know the context of the scene. I'm going to guess that the one getting her hooves polished is supposed to be super beautiful royalty of some kind. If that's the case, it wouldn't have the same effect if the one doing the polishing wasn't a slightly goofy looking commoner. Didn't need to be black though...

If they made the one doing the polishing look like a stereotypical white hillbilly with missing teeth, it would still allow for the contrasting aesthetics, and probably wouldn't be considered racist... (doesn't seem racist to me)

If they made both characters black, leaving one as the stereotype, and the other as a highly contrasting aesthetic 'beauty', would it still be considered racist? (doesn't seem racist to me)

How about a stereotypical white hillbilly shining the hooves of a beautiful black princess? Same characters as the two examples I listed above, but now they're different colors. (suddenly seems kinda racist)

There are certainly people who resemble these negative and ugly stereotypes, but they only fall along a wide range of appearances in a group. If we see other characters from the same group who don't fit the stereotype, it suddenly seems less racist (at least to me it does).
12-02-2014, 07:13 PM
I've always thought King Louie was a hugely racist character from Jungle Book.

Here's a link that agrees with that and the others.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15677_the...cters.html

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Yeah, a lot of the old cartoons has racist images. They are pretty easy to spot most of the time.

In the OP, Fantasia was made in 1940. What I notice is that images like that aren't seen nearly as often today, or at least are not as blatant. It shows progress, though that progress is way too slow.

If you go back and read an unsanitized version of Tom Sawyer, you will find references that would never fly today, particularly in a children's book. Then we have to start looking at the issue of censoring literature because it no longer fits today's social mores. I suppose the same can be said of cartoons (animated or otherwise) and movies that are nearly three quarters of a century old. Even cartoons reflect social commentary of the time.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.

Just because her eyes don't tear doesn't mean her heart doesn't cry. Just because she comes off strong doesn't mean there's nothing wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-02-2014, 07:54 PM
This isn't limited to Disney. Looney Toons (good old bugs bunny,et al) also portrayed racial stereotypes.

But the largest genre was film (live action movies) made during the 30s and continued straight into the 60s and part of the 70s.

Either people of color were omitted or portrayed as buffoons or in what was considered typical jobs at the time.

More often I completely cringe when I watch Breakfast at Tiffany's -- and many other.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-02-2014, 07:57 PM
The Jeffersons was in the 1970s-'80s and they used the N-word liberally, and now in syndication the N-Word is bleeped on the show. A perfect example of how things have improved.

I think the link I provided talks about the racist crows "progressed" to King Louie, which of course was just as bad.

How much racism is linked to religion and holy texts? I would venture most.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2014, 10:19 PM
I also found this to go with it. It's a picture from a page of the children's cut-out book that accompanied the film.

[Image: sunflower30.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
12-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Nope.

Art is a representation. It holds up a mirror.

Disney was creating an historical record that later generations would use to evaluate the environment of the earlier zeitgeist.

See racist chair

Or ... not!

13-02-2014, 12:43 AM
(12-02-2014 11:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Nope.

Art is a representation. It holds up a mirror.

Disney was creating an historical record that later generations would use to evaluate the environment of the earlier zeitgeist.

See racist chair

Or ... not!

So racist art is not racist because it's art that holds up a mirror? like this is just a piece of art too that also holds up a mirror?

[Image: Poster-for-Eternal-Jew-Ewiger-Jude.jpg]

How racist does something have to be before you would call it racist?

13-02-2014, 12:49 AM
It's a stereotype, not racist. See the film "Birth of a Nation"--racist.

DLJ may be right, but I'm not sure Disney was intentionally that progressive. Great link DLJ.

Disney was a business man intent on making a buck. Also, "Song of the South" (1946 Disney), rarely seen these days, is full of African American stereotypes (embarrassing). Tyler Perry uses African American stereotypes in the same way, but consistent with contemporary times (also embarrassing).

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles