Racist Granny?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2013, 03:01 AM
RE: Racist Granny?
(11-08-2013 02:58 AM)I Am Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 02:20 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Disabled, visually-impaired, and blind are accepted terms and most mixed race people have personal preferences but mulatto is almost always an insult. There are some people usually older who still use it. Because I don't want go through the fuss I tell people I'm black, a lot of people do, less explain.

Dairy Queen (aka The Texas Stop Sign, for their ubiquity on highways) has a frozen coffee drink called a Moo-Late. I feel ashamed every time I see it on the menu. My wife loves their dipped cones as a road-trip treat, though, so I can't exactly boycott them. I just claim I'm not hungry when we stop there.
That's why I'm a Ben & Jerry's girl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2013, 03:02 AM
Dairy Queen doesn't serve real ice cream anyway
11-08-2013, 03:03 AM
I am assuming she is white, right?

Tell her to go back to Europe with the rest of her tribe.

Your tribe was there first.

Find all posts by this user
11-08-2013, 03:04 AM
(11-08-2013 02:52 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(11-08-2013 02:43 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  And no I'm not afraid of the old bat.

In that case, I think the best retribution is just being productive and successful.
I'll be a good girl and won't egg and TP her house come Halloween
11-08-2013, 03:10 AM
Well maybe I just won't egg it
11-08-2013, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 09:12 AM by Regular_Joe.)
Not that I intend to assign you homework, but I think two things; 1) You SHOULD confront her and 2) You should confront her with love and psychology.

So in order to do that, I suggest a two prong approach. First, study up on Non-Violent Communication as you can, watch videos and really learn the system.

Then watch Gran Torino and note how the Hmong family embraced Clint regardless of his hatred for them. Give it a try at least.

There's a guy who hosts a radio program (Ian Freeman of Free Talk Live) who is a big proponent of not rising up to the anger emanating from people when he is out doing activist work. He's a very interesting study in saying, "I hear what you're saying and you're free to say it. But why are you so angry with ME?"

What's the worst that can happen if you start a dialogue with this lady? You change her heart and offer some comfort to a lonely old lady?
11-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Next time she yells something at you, ask her how Robert E Lee was in the sack...
Tongue

[Image: h8m4.jpg]
11-08-2013, 10:14 AM
It's an old woman who was probably raised in a very racist culture. Now she is an old, bitter woman. It's not fair that she is taking her hate out on you but I doubt there is anything you or anyone else could do to change her at this late date.

The best bet would probably be to kill her with kindness, when she spews her venom just tell her that you hope she has a nice day. If she knows she is rattling you she is probably getting some kind of thrill out of it.

Hold your head high and be proof that her preconceptions are wrong.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-08-2013, 10:15 AM
I must comment on something although it should have been done on the first page. I have been busy moving. I am not a minority.

I watched both my aunt and my mother descend into dementia. My aunt taught for years in Seattle in a middle school that became over time predominately african american. My mother lived in a community (with me obviously) that was predominately european american and had its ugly elements. In dementia neither ever, ever, ever made rude comments about another person because of their ethnicity. That was because of the way they were raised and because of the people they were.

To excuse a person in dementia when they make inappropriate comments because of the dementia is wrong. Dementia may as said above remove filters, it may also reveal true personality.
11-08-2013, 11:18 AM
I had an aunt with dementia - early onset. She was the funnest, sweetest lady, full of life and always there with a joke and a smile.

On her way to become a total vegetable, she turned into an evil person. If there was something she could say that would hurt you, she did. She was the total opposite of herself. She seemed to want to shock people and say whatever would get the most reaction. It seemed to me that she just would do anything at all to keep from being ignored. It had nothing to do with whether she actually believed what came out of her mouth, it had to do with getting as much attention as possible. Maybe it made her feel alive. Maybe if she got attention it let her know that she still counted. Because soon enough she ended up lying in bed without being able to move or talk or anything. She lay there for 30 years on life support.

I couldn't possibly judge her for her behavior on her way to a miserable future.

I know one thing - I am not ending up like that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man