Racist Xmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Racist Xmas
This Xmas is probably officially the last one with my father's stupid family. I've never really celebrated this holiday since the age of reason, but I have never ever celebrated being proud of my father's relatives and this was no exception. Scenario being they are a bunch of drunk ill-creative low IQ morons who have no morality for the integrity of equality. I should point out this mostly adheres to my father's immediate relatives, his brothers and sister, but some of my cousins husbands are just as harmful as well.

My fiance is black. My father and his relatives are known for much of their racist conversations. ESPN fed through the world of television on Xmas day the history of 60's baseball, when black Americans were first being allowed to play with the whites, and showing continuous films of 60's black Americans being hosed by white police officers in that era. My fiance is a very emotional woman right now and seeing such a display at an entirely white gathering was disturbing for both of us, especially on a holiday. I first told her I was sorry and asked (and I do stress this word.....asked politely) for them to change the channel. No dice. None. I know the meaning behind the footage, but for my fiance's current mind frame and emotional state, it was not good for a family gathering where she is the only one not related at all to anyone, and the fact that they refused to abide in respect for the person I love who's own people were a part of such a poisonous era in our county's lifespan fueled enough rage from me to exeunt.

We got home and spent almost the rest of the day discussing my family's fucking stupidity, I am considering ex-communicating them all from my life, as I have felt nothing but haste towards the vast majority of them almost all my life and I have no intention to supply a metaphor of a relationship with them to fulfill their own version of what gives a holiday gathering the merit of good times.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2012, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2012 01:37 PM by Vera.)
RE: Racist Xmas
(26-12-2012 12:32 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  This Xmas is probably officially the last one with my father's stupid family. I've never really celebrated this holiday since the age of reason, but I have never ever celebrated being proud of my father's relatives and this was no exception. Scenario being they are a bunch of drunk ill-creative low IQ morons who have no morality for the integrity of equality. I should point out this mostly adheres to my father's immediate relatives, his brothers and sister, but some of my cousins husbands are just as harmful as well.

My fiance is black. My father and his relatives are known for much of their racist conversations. ESPN fed through the world of television on Xmas day the history of 60's baseball, when black Americans were first being allowed to play with the whites, and showing continuous films of 60's black Americans being hosed by white police officers in that era. My fiance is a very emotional woman right now and seeing such a display at an entirely white gathering was disturbing for both of us, especially on a holiday. I first told her I was sorry and asked (and I do stress this word.....asked politely) for them to change the channel. No dice. None. I know the meaning behind the footage, but for my fiance's current mind frame and emotional state, it was not good for a family gathering where she is the only one not related at all to anyone, and the fact that they refused to abide in respect for the person I love who's own people were a part of such a poisonous era in our county's lifespan fueled enough rage from me to exeunt.

We got home and spent almost the rest of the day discussing my family's fucking stupidity, I am considering ex-communicating them all from my life, as I have felt nothing but haste towards the vast majority of them almost all my life and I have no intention to supply a metaphor of a relationship with them to fulfill their own version of what gives a holiday gathering the merit of good times.
I don't really know either you or your situation, but will nevertheless throw in my two cents. I have actually told my mum (jokingly, because my parents will never do it, but still), that if I ever fall in love with someone from a different race, I will totally break all relations with any family member who as much as tries to give me racist crap. I have zero tolerance for it in general and if it's aimed at someone I love - no way in hell am I going to take it from anyone. And they'll get an earful first, too.

Of course, everyone is different, but no one chooses their own family and sometimes distancing ourselves from them is the only option. Not saying this is your only option, just that there are things we shouldn't have to put up with, no matter who they are coming from.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
26-12-2012, 12:57 PM
That's the routine of my father's side, that a gathering counts if everyone can sit in the same room with saying a word when the television is on, otherwise, the other half of the living room can be reserved for the most pointless babble on someone's expense. My fiance is from California and we live in Missouri, her entire kin is back at her home so she pretty much only has me, and I have been dumb enough to give the "maybe next year will be better" assumption too much justice without evidence. I don't ever want to see her shed those tears again, and of course I know it is partially my fault for not enforcing our circumstance when everyone else already has.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
26-12-2012, 01:03 PM
It really boils down to how much your family mean to you, but being the cold-hearted person I am, I know I can cut nearly all my family out of my life, given enough provocation (my parents are the only exception, but they are not the type of people to do any of the things I would consider "enough provocation"). Without unnecessary drama and long-winded (and in my opinion, pointless) explanations - it'll just be over. Have done it with friends and would do it with relatives, esp. if I had to choose between them and the person I loved. Not saying I want to, but I'm prepared to.

As I said, we do not not choose our families (unlike those we love) and sometimes we just have the bad luck of being born in the wrong one.

26-12-2012, 02:08 PM
That's horrible. Sorry man.

I personally... would never consider cutting off contact with my fam completely, but then I'm lucky enough that my fam are generally (in my opinion) nice people, so I don't have that difficult choice to make. But behaviour such as that - I'd be out the door - just like you. And I'm pretty sure I'd never look back.
26-12-2012, 02:19 PM
(26-12-2012 02:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  That's horrible. Sorry man.

I personally... would never consider cutting off contact with my fam completely, but then I'm lucky enough that my fam are generally (in my opinion) nice people, so I don't have that difficult choice to make. But behaviour such as that - I'd be out the door - just like you. And I'm pretty sure I'd never look back.
Yeah, but isn't your family racist agaisnt you because you're white? Consider

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-12-2012, 02:24 PM
(26-12-2012 02:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yeah, but isn't your family racist agaisnt you because you're white? Consider
Didn't I tell you to lay off my umlungu! Angry

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
26-12-2012, 02:29 PM
(26-12-2012 02:24 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(26-12-2012 02:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yeah, but isn't your family racist agaisnt you because you're white? Consider
Didn't I tell you to lay off my umlungu! Angry

He was mine long before you ever poked your nose in here.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-12-2012, 02:33 PM
(26-12-2012 02:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(26-12-2012 02:24 PM)Vera Wrote:  Didn't I tell you to lay off my umlungu! Angry

He was mine long before you ever poked your nose in here.
Sorry mate... dog gotta follow the bone Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-12-2012, 02:35 PM
(26-12-2012 02:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-12-2012 02:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  He was mine long before you ever poked your nose in here.
Sorry mate... dog gotta follow the bone Tongue
Which means... it's Erx, not me... He's the one with the bone. Sadcryface2

Oh well, easy come, easy go. Drinking Beverage

Wow, what was this thread about?