Racist or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2013, 05:40 PM
RE: Racist or not?
I disagree to an extent. Ja some of it may be learned, but we don't choose who we're attracted to ?

I surely don't fancy fat girls for sex partners. I can be and am friends with them no worries. But I have zero, absolutely zero desire to get inside their pants.

If that's the way some people feel about dating someone of another race, what is that to me ? For me, racism is more... when people assert that e.g. black people are lazy or shit like that. Making personal choice is personal. It hurts no one.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2013, 06:25 PM
It sounds to me more like a preference, like saying "I prefer guys with brown hair" or "I prefer girls to be shorter than me"

Preferring someone short or with dark hair doesn't mean you think they are inferior or find them lesser than you, just that its not something you're into as a mate.
16-10-2013, 09:11 PM
These are all fine points but society is lying to itself if they don't think racism and the white standard of beauty don't have anything to do with what people find attractive. Just ask the black men who won't date dark-skinned women. The popular eyelid surgery for Asian women. Black women who straighten their hair despite how unhealthy it is, and the stigma against natural hair. Indian women who bleach themselves. I'm not saying people are being malicious or purposefully racist, but history and societal expectation play such a huge role in our lives. Look at the shit " chubby chasers" get. Or May December romances (especially if it's an older woman).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
16-10-2013, 09:19 PM
So are you saying that none of us have minds of our own?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
17-10-2013, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 08:49 AM by BlackMason.)
I think it is racist. Any time one sees colour, that is racism or has the potential to be racism. When the reason is linked to a person's complexion (which is meaningless)...that's simply racist. It is racism when you start applying blanket statements like that. How about evaluating each person on their own merits whether they be black or white or yellow, and refrain from idiotic statements that make you look like an ass. When you have preconceived notions about a group of people...how is that NOT racist? I would've loved to see the OP explain why they believe that it is not racist. I thought atheists were critical thinkers. Guess you learn something new everydayUndecided.

Edit: I define race/colour as ethnicity throughout unless otherwise specified. I am an atheist. Never mind the eye of Horus and my sig.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
17-10-2013, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 04:36 AM by BlackMason.)
(16-10-2013 05:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  If that's the way some people feel about dating someone of another race, what is that to me ? For me, racism is more... when people assert that e.g. black people are lazy or shit like that. Making personal choice is personal. It hurts no one.

But what if my personal choice is to be racist? Can I then hide under the banner of personal choice to avoid the racist label? It seems to me that a lot of the posts that I've seen are replacing one label with another.

(16-10-2013 06:25 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  It sounds to me more like a preference, like saying "I prefer guys with brown hair" or "I prefer girls to be shorter than me"

Preferring someone short or with dark hair doesn't mean you think they are inferior or find them lesser than you, just that its not something you're into as a mate.

I'm not sure I know how to articulate this. Bear with me. Expressing "I prefer guys with brown hair or I prefer girls to be shorter than me" cannot be used as an example for a case against racism. Think of it as layers or a hierarchical platform. Race is higher on this "platform". Why? Because you can get white people that are tall and short. You get black people that are tall and short. Asians that are tall and short. A person's height is lower on the "platform" because this is true for all races. It is a sub category. Race is a major category. It is higher on said platform.

So I don't like it when a woman is taller than me when she's wearing high heels. THIS APPLIES TO ALL RACES!!! Lets say you like men with attractive eyes. To say you don't find Asian people attractive you are also eliminating Asian people with the attractive eyes you like. That is when it becomes racism. I'm not sure if I made sense.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
17-10-2013, 04:32 AM
(17-10-2013 04:04 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  I think it is racist.

That's because you're a black mason who believes in Horus; your intellect is so low it warrants another white invented disease to exterminate blacks, like AIDS.
17-10-2013, 04:42 AM
(17-10-2013 04:32 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 04:04 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  I think it is racist.

That's because you're a black mason who believes in Horus; your intellect is so low it warrants another white invented disease to exterminate blacks, like AIDS.

Really dude? You're gonna say shit like that to me all the while not knowing me? I'm not a black mason. That's just my user name. I do not believe in Horus. I am an atheist. I've chosen these things that you have foolishly made conclusions on as a form of rebellion to Jesus/Yahweh, all deities and theists. Fucking idiot!

17-10-2013, 05:03 AM
(17-10-2013 04:42 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 04:32 AM)Juv Wrote:  That's because you're a black mason who believes in Horus; your intellect is so low it warrants another white invented disease to exterminate blacks, like AIDS.

Really dude? You're gonna say shit like that to me all the while not knowing me? I'm not a black mason. That's just my user name. I do not believe in Horus. I am an atheist. I've chosen these things that you have foolishly made conclusions on as a form of rebellion to Jesus/Yahweh, all deities and theists. Fucking idiot!

Well... that escalated quickly.

To respond to your earlier points though, I understand what you're saying about platforms/categories, and to some extent I agree with you. I don't think a person can or should put a blanket statement across any type of person, because there can always be an exception to the rule. For example, I am not *usually* attracted to red-headed men. BUT there was this one guy in college whom I was WILDLY attracted to, and he happened to be a redhead. It was out of the box for me, but it worked. I think the same can be said for skin colour, a person may not *usually* be attracted to people of a certain ethnicity, but there are always exceptions to the rule because we don't (shouldn't!) base our opinions purely on the colour of someone's skin, we take into account other factors, both looks, personality, and other more important qualities. Like I said before in this thread, an opinion like "I'm not attracted to black people" can stem from racism, but isn't necessarily racist in and of itself.
17-10-2013, 05:14 AM
(17-10-2013 04:42 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Really dude? You're gonna say shit like that to me all the while not knowing me? I'm not a black mason. That's just my user name. I do not believe in Horus. I am an atheist. I've chosen these things that you have foolishly made conclusions on as a form of rebellion to Jesus/Yahweh, all deities and theists. Fucking idiot!
Those choices don't give evidence of any critical thinking skills.