Racist or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2013, 07:17 AM
RE: Racist or not?
(16-10-2013 09:11 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  These are all fine points but society is lying to itself if they don't think racism and the white standard of beauty don't have anything to do with what people find attractive. Just ask the black men who won't date dark-skinned women. The popular eyelid surgery for Asian women. Black women who straighten their hair despite how unhealthy it is, and the stigma against natural hair. Indian women who bleach themselves. I'm not saying people are being malicious or purposefully racist, but history and societal expectation play such a huge role in our lives. Look at the shit " chubby chasers" get. Or May December romances (especially if it's an older woman).

How do you explain white people (probably mostly women) using tanning beds, the sun, or self-tanners to look much darker than their natural color? Or (again, mostly women) who perm their hair from naturally straight to super curly?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2013, 07:22 AM
edit: In reply to BlackMason.

I don't getcha. If in my experience I find that black girls turn me on and others don't, how is that racist ? You gonna reach into my brain and *make* me more attracted to e.g. Asian girls ?

// Actually I find race plays approx 0 part in who I find attractive, but I really do think that this kind of thing is a purely personal decision.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-10-2013, 07:27 AM
(17-10-2013 06:45 AM)amyb Wrote:  
Quote: In all of my posts colour/race = ethnicity.
Ah, I see we are not using the same terms, then. I am talking about skin color, only. Ethnicity doesn't necessarily have anything to do with skin color, and "race" isn't a scientific concept,so I am going with the visual, the complexion of the person.

This is total bullshit in every fucking way.
17-10-2013, 07:31 AM
(17-10-2013 06:45 AM)amyb Wrote:  But I think that even extends to other things. For example, I could understand if a person said, "I think blue eyes are pretty," but it would sound a bit weird to say "I would never even consider dating a person who does not have blue eyes."
Why would that be weird?
17-10-2013, 07:42 AM
(17-10-2013 07:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  edit: In reply to BlackMason.

I don't getcha. If in my experience I find that black girls turn me on and others don't, how is that racist ? You gonna reach into my brain and *make* me more attracted to e.g. Asian girls ?

// Actually I find race plays approx 0 part in who I find attractive, but I really do think that this kind of thing is a purely personal decision.
It's racist because "Black girls turn you on, and others don't." If you're white, the fact that you are attracted to some "oppressed race" is not a get out of racism card, if that's what your getting at.
17-10-2013, 07:48 AM
(17-10-2013 07:27 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 06:45 AM)amyb Wrote:  Ah, I see we are not using the same terms, then. I am talking about skin color, only. Ethnicity doesn't necessarily have anything to do with skin color, and "race" isn't a scientific concept,so I am going with the visual, the complexion of the person.

This is total bullshit in every fucking way.

Please explain.
17-10-2013, 09:07 AM
No it's not racist.

It's basic evolution.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-10-2013, 09:53 AM
(17-10-2013 07:42 AM)Juv Wrote:  If you're white, the fact that you are attracted to some "oppressed race" is not a get out of racism card, if that's what your getting at.

What the fuck are you talking about man ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-10-2013, 09:55 AM
(17-10-2013 09:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 07:42 AM)Juv Wrote:  If you're white, the fact that you are attracted to some "oppressed race" is not a get out of racism card, if that's what your getting at.

What the fuck are you talking about man ?

Wondering the same...how does that thought process even occur?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-10-2013, 11:41 AM
This has been a bit of a weird discussion. I found the only significant point that of BrokenQuill92 that there are beauty standards that are biased toward european appearance. I lived for a while in a neighborhood in Oakland CA where there was a large number of recent african immigrants who mostly had a more angular facial type than many of the off spring of former slaves. In general I found these recent immigrants more attractive than the off spring of former slaves.

That is because I have been inculcated with a sense that european appearance is more beautiful than the rounded faces of many african americans.

The above said by a person who is more interested in body type than ethnicity. I can still almost see that beautiful african american women behind the bar on the way home from work, I was forced to stay for 3 drinks. So thin she had almost no breasts but tall and beautiful. Too bad she was to young for me to hit on.