Racist or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2013, 11:59 AM
RE: Racist or not?
(16-10-2013 09:11 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  These are all fine points but society is lying to itself if they don't think racism and the white standard of beauty don't have anything to do with what people find attractive. Just ask the black men who won't date dark-skinned women. The popular eyelid surgery for Asian women. Black women who straighten their hair despite how unhealthy it is, and the stigma against natural hair. Indian women who bleach themselves. I'm not saying people are being malicious or purposefully racist, but history and societal expectation play such a huge role in our lives. Look at the shit " chubby chasers" get. Or May December romances (especially if it's an older woman).

It's not necessarily the case in all situations though. Evolutionarily we are programmed to be more attracted to those who look more like ourselves as I understand it. A white person being less attracted to black people than other white people wouldn't be hugely surprising (or rare I suspect), neither would a black person being less attracted to white people than other black people.

It would be interesting to hear a study on such things but I doubt you'll ever find a fair selection of them. Most people are too scared of being labelled racist to do a study on such things.

(17-10-2013 04:10 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  I'm not sure I know how to articulate this. Bear with me. Expressing "I prefer guys with brown hair or I prefer girls to be shorter than me" cannot be used as an example for a case against racism. Think of it as layers or a hierarchical platform. Race is higher on this "platform". Why? Because you can get white people that are tall and short. You get black people that are tall and short. Asians that are tall and short. A person's height is lower on the "platform" because this is true for all races. It is a sub category. Race is a major category. It is higher on said platform.

So I don't like it when a woman is taller than me when she's wearing high heels. THIS APPLIES TO ALL RACES!!! Lets say you like men with attractive eyes. To say you don't find Asian people attractive you are also eliminating Asian people with the attractive eyes you like. That is when it becomes racism. I'm not sure if I made sense.

Totally disagree. Having a preference for hair colour is EXACTLY the same as having a preference for skin colour.

If someone said they only don't date brunettes they would be eliminating all brunettes regardless of their other features. There is no difference between that and someone saying they don't date blacks (provided they are truthful when they say it's purely an aesthetic choice).

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2013, 01:17 PM
(17-10-2013 07:22 AM)morondog Wrote:  edit: In reply to BlackMason.

I don't getcha. If in my experience I find that black girls turn me on and others don't, how is that racist ? You gonna reach into my brain and *make* me more attracted to e.g. Asian girls ?

// Actually I find race plays approx 0 part in who I find attractive, but I really do think that this kind of thing is a purely personal decision.

Ah, you present a different position to the OP. Your position is not racist. It is one born out of reason. I have no quarrel with you, sir. It's the irrational type of racism that I bemoan.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
17-10-2013, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 01:42 PM by BlackMason.)
(17-10-2013 11:59 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Totally disagree. Having a preference for hair colour is EXACTLY the same as having a preference for skin colour.

If someone said they only don't date brunettes they would be eliminating all brunettes regardless of their other features. There is no difference between that and someone saying they don't date blacks (provided they are truthful when they say it's purely an aesthetic choice).

I don't know if you've seen any of my other posts here. I defined race/colour as ethnicity because the OP gave no definition. So I'm talking Asian, Caucasian, Negroid etc. We're clearly talking about two different things. Just to be clear, if a person states they don't date black people, and this is purely a reference to skin colour, does it not apply to light skinned black people? This is what I meant by skin colour being trivial and chose ethnicity as a more meaningful definition.
17-10-2013, 02:13 PM
The city I've lived in for about 23 years of my life is over 60% south asian now. I grew up with more brown friends than white friends. I probably had as many black friends as white friends... And while it made me completely comfortable with them and their families, I just find very little physical attraction to almost all brown or black people. I think its mostly about facial features. In relationships I'm not picky about appearances, but if I had to compile a list of physical traits for an ideal mate, the result would mostly be common traits found in caucasian or east asian people.
18-10-2013, 05:11 AM
(17-10-2013 07:48 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 07:27 AM)Juv Wrote:  This is total bullshit in every fucking way.

Please explain.

1. Race is a scientific concept.

2. Skin color is always linked to race/ethnicity.
18-10-2013, 05:14 AM
(18-10-2013 05:11 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 07:48 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Please explain.

1. Race is a scientific concept.

2. Skin color is always linked to race/ethnicity.

1. Race is a social construct.
2. No, it isn't.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
18-10-2013, 05:20 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2013 05:23 AM by Juv.)
(17-10-2013 09:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 07:42 AM)Juv Wrote:  If you're white, the fact that you are attracted to some "oppressed race" is not a get out of racism card, if that's what your getting at.

What the fuck are you talking about man ?

The impression you gave in your post is that if a white man is attracted to black women - or any other non-white women, he can't be racist.

This isn't accurate though, a person could still be racist even if they date a member of another race.
18-10-2013, 05:34 AM
(17-10-2013 11:59 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  It's not necessarily the case in all situations though. Evolutionarily we are programmed to be more attracted to those who look more like ourselves as I understand it. A white person being less attracted to black people than other white people wouldn't be hugely surprising (or rare I suspect), neither would a black person being less attracted to white people than other black people.
This is very true, but it totally does fit into the definition of racism.

IOW, racism is actually part of our nature whether we like it or not.
18-10-2013, 06:34 AM
(18-10-2013 05:20 AM)Juv Wrote:  The impression you gave in your post is that if a white man is attracted to black women - or any other non-white women, he can't be racist.

It was not my intention to make that argument... apologies for the misunderstanding.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-10-2013, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2013 08:54 PM by Dark Light.)
To really get at the truth of the matter we must first define "race". If we stick with the traditional western definition....Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid which is largely based on skin color and other physical characteristics, vice what we see race based on in places like South America and parts of of Asia, then yes, it is racist. A person is judging based on these racial qualities. However, politically speaking, I think it is okay. As I have mentioned earlier, there is a evolutionary compulsion to be attracted to those more like us than those more different than us.

You must also look into fetishes, I think. Sexual attraction and sexual desires among humans are certainly not based entirely on subjective social constructs of beauty and the like. People want what the want. That's what it boils down to for me.