Racist or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Racist or not?
I think it is nonsense that there is an evolutionary basis for people being attracted to the sme race.
Is there any evidence for this?
Usually opposites attract each other. The reasons that people date within their own race is mostly social
and cultural.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2013, 08:18 PM
RE: Racist or not?
Where's the evidence that opposites attract?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
18-10-2013, 08:59 PM
(18-10-2013 07:59 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  I think it is nonsense that there is an evolutionary basis for people being attracted to the sme race.
Usually opposites attract each other. The reasons that people date within their own race is mostly social
and cultural.

Yes, there is evidence. It is a phenomenon which is often referred to as 'like attracts like'. There are many books and publications which discuss this topic.

18-10-2013, 09:06 PM
(18-10-2013 07:59 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  I think it is nonsense that there is an evolutionary basis for people being attracted to the sme race.
and cultural.

That sounds like nonsense to me. My family has a large number of interracial and multicultural couples. I was raised by parents who are supportive of cross cultural coupling. In a city that is less than 30% caucasian. It would be perfectly acceptable in my family and social circle to choose any mate. I still have a significantly diminished attraction to dissimilar physical features.

I would love spending my life with someone, regardless of their heritage. I'm surrounded by potential mates every day, and of everyone I've met over my whole life, I might be able to count on both hands the number of non-caucasian people who I've found attractive enough to pursue. And then for the most part its usually ruined by some social taboo from their family.
18-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Anecdotal evidence to the contrary isn't nearly a strong argument. Statistical evidence is better, but even that can (and is) heavily influenced by culture.

18-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Racist or not?
(18-10-2013 08:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Where's the evidence that opposites attract?

Some peole are attracted to people that are different , others are attracted to people who are alike.
My point is that I dont see that such attractions have anything to do with evolution.
Of course we are generally only attracted to people in the same species. But within the species
it would not be good for survival to date within a small gene pool. So it seems counterintuitive that
evolution would make people restrict themselves to a smaller gene pool.

It would be an interesting experiment to have a bunch of white and black rabbits, and see whether
the white rabbits only fuck other white rabbits. My guess is that they would be completely indiscriminate.
18-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Cause we are all just mammals, right? Dodgy

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
18-10-2013, 10:18 PM
(18-10-2013 10:07 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 08:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Where's the evidence that opposites attract?

Some peole are attracted to people that are different , others are attracted to people who are alike.
My point is that I dont see that such attractions have anything to do with evolution.
Of course we are generally only attracted to people in the same species. But within the species
it would not be good for survival to date within a small gene pool. So it seems counterintuitive that
evolution would make people restrict themselves to a smaller gene pool.

It would be an interesting experiment to have a bunch of white and black rabbits, and see whether
the white rabbits only fuck other white rabbits. My guess is that they would be completely indiscriminate.

It is an evolutionary advantage if you go back to our ancestors. Once upon a time our ancestors didn't have forward-facing eyes. When got forward facing eyes we got binocular vision, but this came at a price. We didn't have the capacity to see as much, it was more difficult to detect the predator that wanted to eat us. We become more social, forming groups to supplement our difficulty to see predators approaching. We relied on these groups. They helped us stay safe from other predators. This includes those other cavemen across the stream that wanted our hunting territory, our food, our furs, our dwellings. The 'others' were dangerous. Hence the 'like attracts like' quality. That's the essential theory anyhow. You can read from people more knowledgeable than me if you are interested, all you need is a computer connected to the internet, and you have that.

18-10-2013, 10:58 PM
(18-10-2013 10:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Cause we are all just mammals, right? Dodgy

Yes, but my line about doing it like they do it on Discovery Channel has yet to work on any woman regardless of ethnic background Sad

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
18-10-2013, 11:26 PM
(18-10-2013 10:58 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 10:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Cause we are all just mammals, right? Dodgy

Yes, but my line about doing it like they do it on Discovery Channel has yet to work on any woman regardless of ethnic background Sad

Srsly? A bad touch reference and you aren't gonna ground it. Save a life don't leave dangling references.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense