Rading the Bible was my tipping point

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2015, 08:34 PM
RE: Rading the Bible was my tipping point
(01-12-2015 01:26 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  The bible (doesn't matter which of the plethora of translations, modifications, or reinventions you pick) is the single best book ever for creating atheists, all one has to do is read it.

Yes. Read it and then really think about what the hell you're reading.

I wasn't brought up in any religion or belief system but when I was in college studying Shakespeare and other playwrights there were so many references to the Bible I thought I should read the damn thing to see what all the fuss was about. I got to the garden of Eden shit and the ensuing, conveniently unmentioned incest crap...... I then got the giggles. Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load How do people take this idiot stuff seriously. It's myth, it's Robin Hood, it's King Author, it's tribal storytelling and it's got it's very own curse and a big, bad war god to boot.

Knights who say NI!

I posted the Ni guys just 'cause I wanted to. I don't see enough of them in posts.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Just listening to catholic assholes was sufficient for me. Reading the bible cam later... and it was mainly boring shit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-12-2015, 12:28 PM
(02-12-2015 05:32 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 03:11 PM)theophilus Wrote:  And just how do you know this? I am an evangelical and I have read the Bible at least once each year for over 50 years. Most of the other evangelicals I know have also read the Bible all the way through several times.

Where did you come up with the idea that none of us read the whole Bible?

Probably because few of the christian we interact with know their bible. When you point something out, most have no idea it was in there.

^ this.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
03-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Rading the Bible was my tipping point
I haven't read the whole bible yet. But I am very familiar with the stories in the OT. The tipping point for me would be the contradictions. They are scattered through out the bible.
[+] 1 user Likes musicharmony87's post
03-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Anyone who has read both, what has more stupid shit, the bible or the koran?
03-12-2015, 08:08 PM
And for me it was finally thinking critically about the bibles stories. For the first 21 or so years I was basically in a fog of regional indoctrination. I wasn't a Christian by any means, it's just what everyone believed.

When I finally looked at it with even the smallest pinch of skepticism, I couldn't believe I or others genuinely believe this shit is real. The story of Adam and Eve is so fucking stupid I can't even wrap my head around it. I'm embarrassed that I didn't see this shit along time ago. But it is a testament to the strength of indoctrination. I didn't even grow up in a religious home. Just a religious state.
03-12-2015, 11:24 PM
(03-12-2015 08:08 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  When I finally looked at it with even the smallest pinch of skepticism, I couldn't believe I or others genuinely believe this shit is real. The story of Adam and Eve is so fucking stupid I can't even wrap my head around it. I'm embarrassed that I didn't see this shit along time ago.

My sentiments exactly! You're just astounded by how stupid and absurd it all is -- but at the same time you're just perplexed at how many people just swallow it whole!

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
04-12-2015, 03:06 PM
(03-12-2015 11:24 PM)mgoering Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 08:08 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  When I finally looked at it with even the smallest pinch of skepticism, I couldn't believe I or others genuinely believe this shit is real. The story of Adam and Eve is so fucking stupid I can't even wrap my head around it. I'm embarrassed that I didn't see this shit along time ago.

My sentiments exactly! You're just astounded by how stupid and absurd it all is -- but at the same time you're just perplexed at how many people just swallow it whole!

Perhaps it seems absurd to you because you don't understand it. Have you considered the possibility that the ones who believe it are the ones who actually do understand it?

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2015, 07:16 PM
(04-12-2015 03:06 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(03-12-2015 11:24 PM)mgoering Wrote:  My sentiments exactly! You're just astounded by how stupid and absurd it all is -- but at the same time you're just perplexed at how many people just swallow it whole!

Perhaps it seems absurd to you because you don't understand it. Have you considered the possibility that the ones who believe it are the ones who actually do understand it?

I think you're on to something. I'm probably wrong to characterize it as absurd. The Bible just a book chuck full of little fables, like "The Three Little Pigs". When I read the Three Little Pigs I don't think it's absurd because I know it's just a make-believe story where pigs and wolves can talk and build houses. I understand it for what it is: a fairy tale with a little moral lesson in the end. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 4 users Like mgoering's post
04-12-2015, 07:46 PM
(02-12-2015 03:11 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 01:17 PM)Leo Wrote:  Hardcore evangelicals cherry pick and read random passages from the bible. But they never read the bible cover to cover.

And just how do you know this? I am an evangelical and I have read the Bible at least once each year for over 50 years. Most of the other evangelicals I know have also read the Bible all the way through several times.

Where did you come up with the idea that none of us read the whole Bible?

Wow, so you've read the Bible 50 times cover to cover! So what's your take on it by now? Your ideas about it must have evolved over the years, didn't they? If not, next year consider this. Completely suspend your belief just once, and read it as if you are reading a book of ancient mythology or fables written by humans a long long time ago. Don't be afraid, you won't get struck down by lightning! I didn't. You'll be amazed at how different the stories sounds to you.

And if your scared you'll go to hell, just beg God for forgiveness and blame it all a me.

[+] 3 users Like mgoering's post