RadioCarbon Dating??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2011, 06:27 PM

RadioCarbon Dating??
What is the best dating to know how old the earth is?
I'm confused
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2011, 07:54 PM
RE: RadioCarbon Dating??
C14 dating is useful between 150 years and 10,000 years. In college, I use K–Ar dating which is probably more accurate but C14 is used on bones et al. Uranium-lead dating is probably the best know of them all, because Uranium turns into lead after x years.

C14 cannot be used on certain types of ocean animals though because C14 doesn't occur naturally due to underwater environments.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Also , I think there is often confusion spread by creationists when it comes to fossils and carbon dating.
Carbon dating isn't used on fossils as far as I know as they don't contain carbon.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
09-06-2011, 07:18 PM
(08-06-2011 07:54 PM)Monk Wrote:  C14 dating is useful between 150 years and 10,000 years.

Wait, I thought C14 was good for a lot longer, closer to 50,000 yeas, since it's half-life is 5,000 something.

Answering the question, no, C14 cannot be used to date the earth, since its half-life is far, far too short. I'm not sure what exactly would be, but all other radiometric dating is a lot like C14 dating, but with some differences as to how the starting sample is calculated, and other various parts.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
10-06-2011, 10:00 AM

C14 is a carbon isotope which is radioactive, its created in the upper atmosphere when cosmic rays hit normal carbon atoms and f*** everything up. It's only found in organic matter because plants take it in from the atmosphere and we breathe it in. It has a half life of 5730 years so yeah, good for up to 50000 years.
How we work out the age of the earth is to look at rocks, and more specifically whats in them. When a radioactive atom breaks down, is splits into different elements and products. By looking for a radioactive element with a huge half life (the time it takes for half the atoms originally there to decay) (Samarium 147, half life of 10 ^11 years, or potassium 40, half life 1.3 billion years) we can look at the rocks around it for the products from the radioactive elements decay. By looking at the proportion of the product elements present to the radioactive element thats left, we can work out how much of the radioactive element was originally there.
For this method to work we have to assume the rocks were undisturbed since the earth formed. The barringer crater would be an example of where this method has been used.
Radiometric dating isn't an accurate method of dating the earth, but it would serve to demolish a Bible Basher.
[+] 1 user Likes TAJD's post
10-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Uneducated Christians quote mine science papers that say C14 doesn't work under /certain/ conditions, and say it doesn't work at all. Not only that, there are about a thousand ways to date the earth, using everything from Coral Reef growth, to layers of sediment.
11-06-2011, 06:03 AM

They're right in that. But thats cool with me as we don't use C14 to date the earth. It's half life is too short.
We can use is to show that the earth is older than 6000 years though.
Ask them to define the conditions under which they work, I expect they'll have trouble then.