Radioactive water seeps into sea from stricken nuclear plant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Exclamation Radioactive water seeps into sea from stricken nuclear plant
TOKYO, April 2 (Xinhua) -- Highly radioactive water from a tsunami-damaged nuclear power plant seeped into the ocean Saturday as Japan's prime minister toured a town ravaged by the disaster.

Japanese authorities are attempting to stop additional leaks of contaminated water from the No. 2 reactor at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean while checking other reactors for any such risks, the Kyodo news agency reported. (Full Article)

The news just keeps getting worse.
Nuclear power isn't worth the risk, for what little is gained.
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
RE: Radioactive water seeps into sea from stricken nuclear plant
Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

Carl Sagan

I don't know about you people, but that Fukushima disaster makes me feel like a frog in a pot of water under witch the fire is slowly turned up.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I still believe in nuclear power, but the location needs to be carefully thought out and the top priority must be safety over effeciency. <-----That is a big period, just for the record, and if I had said it I would have said the word PERIOD! But alas I am typing so this explanation which completely detracts from the meaning of the initial pose must suffice. I want a giant white chocolate chip now.
02-04-2011, 01:57 PM
As terrible as they are, the human race needs things like the Challenger, the Hindenburg, and these failed nuclear power plants to bring us back to reality that we are inherently stupid creatures standing on a rickety stool of self-importance.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I think you can't blame the japanese authorities for this, they had back up plans for if the power failed in the power plant, but no one was expecting such a bloody massive earthquake and tsunami.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
02-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Let's face it: anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. Especially with technical installations. (I am a technician, I meet Murphy and his law about once every month)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
02-04-2011, 03:17 PM
it said in the paper this morning that theres traces of nuclear iodine been found in our water. Thats right, its made it all the way to the east coast of Canada.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM

(02-04-2011 03:17 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  it said in the paper this morning that theres traces of nuclear iodine been found in our water. Thats right, its made it all the way to the east coast of Canada.

Toronto, March 29 (IANS) Radiation from the damaged Japanese nuclear reactor has reached Canada whose western coast is more than 7,000 km away from the disaster zone.Continues)" Radiation from Japan nuclear disaster reaches Canada"

There's talk on a forum I'm member of wherein some are speculating that this isn't actually a quake crack that's causing the radioactive leak. Rather, it's the lie that's being sold so that the plant can release the sea water it brought in to cool the reactor, rather than store it in what is already a compromised facility.
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:There's talk on a forum I'm member of wherein some are speculating that this isn't actually a quake crack that's causing the radioactive leak. Rather, it's the lie that's being sold so that the plant can release the sea water it brought in to cool the reactor, rather than store it in what is already a compromised facility.
This doesn't seem plausible to me.
It just sounds like a kind of conspiracy I'd hear or something.
Wouldn't they poison their own seashores and fishing grounds also ? Wouldn't it seep into ground water and poison the general population ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
03-04-2011, 03:39 PM
not the western coast, the east coast, New Brunswick's got radioactive iodine in its water.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"