Raised as an atheist, went all the way, back on the market-place again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2017, 05:28 PM
RE: Raised as an atheist, went all the way, back on the market-place again
(09-03-2017 05:20 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 05:06 PM)Billanja Wrote:  It basically means, I never laughted about a Carlin joke, like never ever. That's a subjective, utterly personal, fact.

I'm sorry.

Really? Not even this?

George Carlin -- Religion is Bullshit

Nah...I'm sorry. But I can understand why people find that funny. I just don't.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2017, 05:28 PM
(09-03-2017 05:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't write about USA. There are quite a few countries in Europe with capitalism being pretty fresh invention.
Fair enough. I live in the US and tend to think along those lines.

Quote:Is it that hard to accept that people may rightly see "capitalism" as something good and that's why they vote on it?
No, I don't have a hard time accepting that, especially in a place where, as you say, capitalism might be a new thing. Capitalism can have a very good sales pitch.

In a place like the US, however, where capitalism is as old as the republic, and with a long history of violent abuses, it's more difficult to understand why anyone not born into a position of privilege, who had actually studied the system, would continue to wholeheartedly support it.

Quote:Dr H: The latter half of that statement doubtless has some truth to it. The former part, not so much, since there has never been any "left" in power in this country to offer a comparison.

Quote:Szuchow: Again, I didn't write about USA.

Yes, I didn't see your comment until I had already posted mine.
I beg your pardon, and allow that your perspective is doubtless somewhat different from mine. The same consideration in reverse would be appreciated.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
09-03-2017, 05:31 PM
(09-03-2017 05:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 04:58 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Or they remember how non capitalist system looked like. Or they don't consider capitalism to be some kind of plague. Or left failed them so now they feel that right winger using populist language serves them better.

If they're in the US I don't think they remember what non capitalism looks like. We do remember things like the carpetbaggers, the great depression and the great recession though which were just the logical conclusions to unfettered capitalism. We keep arguing for it anyway, not because it works as a solid societal foundation , but because filthy rich bastards want to be even filthier.

That's some statement, comming from someone who has a voice of his own.

Hallelujah!
09-03-2017, 05:33 PM
(09-03-2017 05:20 PM)Billanja Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 05:09 PM)Dr H Wrote:  BTW... are we going to get bitch-slapped for having a political discussion in the "Introductions" section?
Perhaps we should re-locate?Huh

Nah, I like it like that. Please let us bang our heads against each other, virtually, right here, right now.

I'm not sure we newbies ought to be pushing the envelope before we know where the limits are.

OTOH, maybe that's the way to find out where the limits are . . .

OK, I guess someone will let us know if we're peeing on the carpet. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
09-03-2017, 05:35 PM
"Is it that hard to accept that people may rightly see "capitalism" as something good and that's why they vote on parties supporting it? "

Yes, Saz. It is very hard for peeps who can think for themselfs to buy the lies capitalism is selling them on a daily basis..

"It's a club. And you're ain't in it." (George Carlin)
09-03-2017, 05:37 PM
(09-03-2017 05:28 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Fair enough. I live in the US and tend to think along those lines.

Understandable.

Quote:No, I don't have a hard time accepting that, especially in a place where, as you say, capitalism might be a new thing. Capitalism can have a very good sales pitch.

Can have good sales pitch? But can't just be good? Even for a while?

Quote:In a place like the US, however, where capitalism is as old as the republic, and with a long history of violent abuses, it's more difficult to understand why anyone not born into a position of privilege, who had actually studied the system, would continue to wholeheartedly support it.

Even in USA people can understand capitalism differently I guess.

Quote:Yes, I didn't see your comment until I had already posted mine.
I beg your pardon, and allow that your perspective is doubtless somewhat different from mine. The same consideration in reverse would be appreciated.

Of course.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
09-03-2017, 05:39 PM
(09-03-2017 05:14 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 04:59 PM)Billanja Wrote:  I have no idea what the US-american people are brain-washed about, in order to vote for Trump. But one thing I do know, if they would have voted for Hillary, it wouldn't be any better. It just would have been a different kinda sh*t they have to endure..

Yes and no. The status quo would have gone on, either way.

In fact, maybe it's better that we got Trump, so that all the BS is right out front, where we can see it.

Still, it's disturbing that so many people apparently drank the Kool-Aid as far as believing that Trump was actually an average Joe, with their best interests at heart.

Yes, like Jordan B. Peteson would say, I assume, "It's better to let the shit be in the open, so we can seen it, than it's repressed by political correctness and put under the rug."

Big Grin
09-03-2017, 05:43 PM
That one is a burner, Dr. H.:

"In a place like the US, however, where capitalism is as old as the republic, and with a long history of violent abuses, it's more difficult to understand why anyone not born into a position of privilege, who had actually studied the system, would continue to wholeheartedly support it."

Well done. Nice one.
09-03-2017, 05:47 PM
"Is it that hard to accept that people may rightly see "capitalism" as something good and that's why they vote on parties supporting it?

Edit: To be pro capitalism one has to be deluded?"

No, Saz. But care to explain why you, personally, think capitalism is beneficial for humanity as such? Please elaborate.
09-03-2017, 05:51 PM
(09-03-2017 05:33 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 05:20 PM)Billanja Wrote:  Nah, I like it like that. Please let us bang our heads against each other, virtually, right here, right now.

I'm not sure we newbies ought to be pushing the envelope before we know where the limits are.

OTOH, maybe that's the way to find out where the limits are . . .

OK, I guess someone will let us know if we're peeing on the carpet. Smile

I'm innicated by the spirit of Christiopher Hitchins (kinda sorta). So let's continue banging heads.

Big Grin