Raised as an atheist, went all the way, back on the market-place again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2017, 05:56 PM
RE: Raised as an atheist, went all the way, back on the market-place again
"Even in USA people can understand capitalism differently I guess."

There is nothing to be missunderstood about capitalism, Saz. Once you know what it's all about, you know it. It can not be un-known.

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2017, 06:30 PM
(09-03-2017 05:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  This has gone well beyond a welcome. I moved the thread.

Thank you, Dom . . . I've been wondering about that. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
09-03-2017, 06:38 PM
(09-03-2017 05:37 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 05:28 PM)Dr H Wrote:  No, I don't have a hard time accepting that, especially in a place where, as you say, capitalism might be a new thing. Capitalism can have a very good sales pitch.

Can have good sales pitch? But can't just be good? Even for a while?

Maybe. In the same sense that religion may have been good for humanity for a little while, deep in our evolutionary past. But I think capitalism's long since worn out its usefulness here in the US, at any rate. It is a fundamental source of many of our current problems.

Quote:Even in USA people can understand capitalism differently I guess.
Oh, for sure. The rich capitalists here love it. Laugh out load

What countries do you think capitalism has been especially good for?

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
09-03-2017, 06:39 PM
(09-03-2017 05:43 PM)Billanja Wrote:  Well done. Nice one.

Thank you.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
09-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Now it's time for me to give thanks and praises to my friends, who trained me well lately. Thanks, Laffy!

Laffy: "You're not even remotely being as bad as I am."

Me: "But I'm still learning, Laffy."

Laffy: "Being an asshole is nothing one can learn. Either you are one or you're not."

Me: "No-no-no! That's not true."

Laffy: "You're a shitty student. You're cute. I hate that!"

Me: "I'm not cute! YOU are cute!"

Laffy: "You really think so?"

Me: "Yes."

Laffy: "You're not kidding me?"

Me: "No."

Laffy: "Now go and troll elsewhere!"

Me: "Okay, Laffy."

Laffy: "Just go!"

Me: "I don't want to go."

Laffy: "You have to. This isn't a place where you and me are buddys for all eternity."

Me: "Why not?"

Laffy: "Because I say so. And now leave!"

Me: "Laffy! No!"

Laffy: "Don't make me wanna spank you!"
09-03-2017, 07:30 PM
(09-03-2017 05:47 PM)Billanja Wrote:  No, Saz. But care to explain why you, personally, think capitalism is beneficial for humanity as such? Please elaborate.

I think neither unadulterated capitalism nor communism can work for the same reasons - neither can stand in the face of greed. It's been clear much longer than Ananias and Sapphira and the commie bastard apostles that communism requires a social contract that many will breach to their own advantage. They can't help themselves. I think capitalism fails for the same reason. It is its own self-centered sort of social contract which which rewards assholes resulting in vast disparities of wealth. The capitalists see the commies as being "gimme gimme gimme" freeloaders while the pinkos see the Helmsleys and Madoffs and Trumps as "gimme more waaahhh me want more" insatiable assholes.

I think capitalism works when the right people get rich. The ones who actually realize there's no way they can spend all this on hookers and blow even if they invite all their friends, don't see the point of conspicuous consumption, and look to do something useful just because they're bored. Hey Bill wanna help me go to Mars? Sure, if you help me vaccinate the planet. What about Mark, what's he up to? Last I heard he was doing a Travels with Charlie thing roadtripping around saving babies and puppies. Guess Warren's too old to do the trip. Yeah, he did give me $37B though to feed the planet, I'm thinking peanut butter and bugs. If these otherwise decent people, who through no fault of their own and much to their surprise became mega-capitalists, got into politics to counterbalance the gimme more more more assholes then I think capitalism could be used beneficially by directing resources to matters of more pressing concern than bathroom birth certificate monitors and the current net worth of the Koch brothers. I think things are starting to look bad enough that a number of them are thinking about taking the plunge. A capitalistic oligarchy would work well if the oligarchs are philosopher kings instead of selfish to the point of indifference to the plight of others assholes.

#sigh
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-03-2017, 07:45 PM
(09-03-2017 06:38 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 05:37 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Can have good sales pitch? But can't just be good? Even for a while?

Maybe. In the same sense that religion may have been good for humanity for a little while, deep in our evolutionary past. But I think capitalism's long since worn out its usefulness here in the US, at any rate. It is a fundamental source of many of our current problems.

Quote:Even in USA people can understand capitalism differently I guess.
Oh, for sure. The rich capitalists here love it. Laugh out load

What countries do you think capitalism has been especially good for?

As much as I hate to repeat myself, I say:

I can understand ultra-rich/billionares who defend their particular claim of owning some sort of property and resourses. But I utterly, totally dis-respect those who have not even a tiny little piece of the cake, but defend those who do have it. THAT, defending them, from a position that's not even close to what real capitalists deal in, is what I call being a disgustiing scum-bag with no dignity, whatsoever.

09-03-2017, 08:19 PM
(09-03-2017 07:45 PM)Billanja Wrote:  I can understand ultra-rich/billionares who defend their particular claim of owning some sort of property and resourses. But I utterly, totally dis-respect those who have not even a tiny little piece of the cake, but defend those who do have it. THAT, defending them, from a position that's not even close to what real capitalists deal in, is what I call being a disgustiing scum-bag with no dignity, whatsoever.

Nah, I can understand where they're coming from. If they drop their hero worship they will be admitting to themselves that it is unlikely they will ever be able to change their unfortunate circumstances. Same reason they hold onto God.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-03-2017, 09:02 PM
(09-03-2017 07:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 05:47 PM)Billanja Wrote:  No, Saz. But care to explain why you, personally, think capitalism is beneficial for humanity as such? Please elaborate.

I think neither unadulterated capitalism nor communism can work for the same reasons - neither can stand in the face of greed. It's been clear much longer than Ananias and Sapphira and the commie bastard apostles that communism requires a social contract that many will breach to their own advantage. They can't help themselves. I think capitalism fails for the same reason. It is its own self-centered sort of social contract which which rewards assholes resulting in vast disparities of wealth. The capitalists see the commies as being "gimme gimme gimme" freeloaders while the pinkos see the Helmsleys and Madoffs and Trumps as "gimme more waaahhh me want more" insatiable assholes.

I think capitalism works when the right people get rich. The ones who actually realize there's no way they can spend all this on hookers and blow even if they invite all their friends, don't see the point of conspicuous consumption, and look to do something useful just because they're bored. Hey Bill wanna help me go to Mars? Sure, if you help me vaccinate the planet. What about Mark, what's he up to? Last I heard he was doing a Travels with Charlie thing roadtripping around saving babies and puppies. Guess Warren's too old to do the trip. Yeah, he did give me $37B though to feed the planet, I'm thinking peanut butter and bugs. If these otherwise decent people, who through no fault of their own and much to their surprise became mega-capitalists, got into politics to counterbalance the gimme more more more assholes then I think capitalism could be used beneficially by directing resources to matters of more pressing concern than bathroom birth certificate monitors and the current net worth of the Koch brothers. I think things are starting to look bad enough that a number of them are thinking about taking the plunge. A capitalistic oligarchy would work well if the oligarchs are philosopher kings instead of selfish to the point of indifference to the plight of others assholes.

Fuckin' A, Girly, I have such a man-crush on your brain! Yes
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
09-03-2017, 09:16 PM
(09-03-2017 05:56 PM)Billanja Wrote:  "Even in USA people can understand capitalism differently I guess."

There is nothing to be missunderstood about capitalism, Saz. Once you know what it's all about, you know it. It can not be un-known.

Big Grin

How has "Szuchow" become "Saz"?
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post