Raising Atheist children.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2013, 03:24 PM
RE: Raising Atheist children.
I'm thinking 10 minutes after god was created man said OMFG what have we done, this is morally reprehensible.
shhh lets all claim God created us, genius.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
25-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Kids naturally pick up their parent's attitude towards life... The difference with religion is that its done with fear.

The thing to do is to try and bring your kids up to be good, critical thinkers... Which generally doesn't steer you towards religion.

The trouble is, Britain has no separation of Church and state, so kids are indoctrinated there. I remember a history class on the subject of Noah's Ark... and saying grace before lunch break.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-10-2013, 12:16 AM
(24-10-2013 02:21 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Fortunately, Heaven is not a curve but a pass/fail exam, and one need only trust Christ to go.
I believe the current pope disagrees with you on this.
25-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Congratualtions, sounds like you've raised some lovely young people there Smile
(24-10-2013 03:52 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Side effects are they have very little tolerance for ghost and alien stories are a little harsh on their friends opinions of mysticism, tell me there's a scammer at the door when strangers knock.
Either have De converted all their online friends or have ended up only associated with agnostics/atheists.

As long as they're also taught that you can oppose respectfully and rationally they'll be miles ahead of a lot of people. I'm not sure what you would call an athiest version of a Bible-basher but as long as they're not bludgeoning their friends, and the more they question and explore, the better.

(24-10-2013 03:52 AM)sporehux Wrote:  So you can understand maybe why I get mad when theists claim atheist cant have morals therefore must be immoral people.
Obviously I'm either very sheltered, just know very nice people or going to the wrong places. I've never heard it. But if you have, I'm sorry for that. Hope your daughter enjoys her cadetship
25-10-2013, 09:51 AM
(24-10-2013 02:57 PM)Skippy538 Wrote:  
Quote: PJ Said - but not moral in any kind of Christian sense.

and for this, I'm grateful. Your morality disgusts me, and so does your slave mentality and ethos.

"slaves, obey your masters." This is your christian morality in action. A slave mentality.

The only correct answer to this babble statement is FUCK YOU, I will NOT obey.

You must have missed my thread explaining this is "employees, obey your bosses" which is good ethics and business practice.

http://christianthinktank.com/qnoslave.html
25-10-2013, 09:58 AM
I love how critical your children are of woo and ghosts. WE NEED PEOPLE LIKE THAT!

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
25-10-2013, 10:07 AM
(24-10-2013 09:32 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 06:27 AM)excubitor Wrote:  You may not know any saints personally, but you have access to me who is by the grace of God a saint in making. Follow me therefore as I follow Christ and I will show you the way to find favour, approval and justification from the Great One God, Father Son and Holy Spirit.

To be a saint is to be dead, so I'd be concerned if someone claimed to know one personally. Are you sure you're Catholic? Also, you have failed numbers 1-3.

Only people whose existence can be verified and whose lives can be examined are possible candidates for canonization. Candidates for sainthood undergo an investigation:

1. Informative inquiries are made into the person’s life, reputation, and activities while they lived on earth
Fail. You act like a dick.
2. Proof that no one has proclaimed or is already proclaiming and honoring the person as a saint before it’s been officially declared
Fail. You're already trying to claim street cred.
3. A thorough examination of the person’s written and spoken (transcripts) works
Fail. Better start deleting your posts here. That's one hell of a paper trail.

A saint in the making...where did that memo come from? Did the big guy promise you the position as soon as someone got unsainted?

Good grief...you are a crappy Catholic, among other things.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
25-10-2013, 10:11 AM
sporehux
So sorry to hear about the loss of your wife and the loss of a mom for your kids.

It sounds like you have been a really good dad. They'll be fine.

Ignore Qubert...he doesn't even understand his own religion. The Catholics should really do something about him, he is a terrible PR guy for them.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-10-2013, 12:55 PM
(25-10-2013 02:27 AM)Yasmin Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 03:52 AM)sporehux Wrote:  So you can understand maybe why I get mad when theists claim atheist cant have morals therefore must be immoral people.
Obviously I'm either very sheltered, just know very nice people or going to the wrong places. I've never heard it. But if you have, I'm sorry for that. Hope your daughter enjoys her cadetship

That's because you're not an open atheist. If you were, you'd hear it all the time. You don't see it because you're not the lodestone they're attracted to.

Just do a youtube search on "atheist have no morals" and look for the videos with low ratings and you'll see what we're talking about. (The highly rated videos will be the ones of atheists ranting about this. I've got a lot of gripes against the YT community, but at least there's some types of bigotry that the majority won't tolerate.)
25-10-2013, 02:47 PM
(25-10-2013 12:55 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  That's because you're not an open atheist. If you were, you'd hear it all the time. You don't see it because you're not the lodestone they're attracted to.

That's true and I can understand that. On the other hand, we have to put up with constant misquoting and assumptions ourselves (such a some of the YT videos). Like when the OP called my God a 'sky pervert,' I winced a bit but unfortunately I'm getting used to that, and since it wasn't relevant to the post I let it slide.

(25-10-2013 12:55 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Just do a youtube search on "atheist have no morals" and look for the videos with low ratings and you'll see what we're talking about.

Thanks, I had a look. Some were a bit rude, some actually made a huge effort to be polite and reasonable. I don't think the issue is 'athiests don't believe in God therefore they're evil and immoral.' I think the heart of the question is if athiests have no absolute moral authority, such as God, then how is a common sense of morality formed?

I'm itching to get my debating hat on right now, but since I don't want to take the thread off topic, maybe it's a good subject for another thread sometime?