Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2015, 05:43 AM
Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.
If you're one of those people chanting and ranting and cheering on raising the minimum wage -- I've got some real bad news for you bunky....

When you get that raise? It's still going to be minimum wage. Now, there's just going to be more of you people at the bottom.

Inflation will take care of any "raise" you get in about a month ---

And you know who you're fucking over - to get that month of "riches"???

Everyone who's on a fixed income. Grama and Grandpa can starve, right??

They just took a hit in pay --- so you could go buy a flatscreen tv...

And next month?? You'll be poor again too...

Fucking dumbasses falling for the same trick, over and over..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-07-2015, 06:34 AM
RE: Raising Minimum Wage - or How to Keep the Poor, Poor.
*slow clap* Yup cause obviously keeping minimum wage at above starvation levels is bad. You are a dumbfuck I swear but what can one expect from an idiot who is against wearing helmets. It's not a one time fix, the only reason the situation has deteriorated to this point is the minimum wage was not tied to inflation levels as it should have been.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-07-2015, 06:54 AM
It's reasonable for the minimum wage to be set that a human being on that wage can reasonably work the equivalent of a full time job to support themselves and maybe a dependent or two. Requiring people to work multiple jobs to live is not sustainable.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 7 users Like Hafnof's post
23-07-2015, 07:08 AM
$15 US is $22 NZ dollars. That's fucking ridiculous. That's what you'd get paid if you worked somewhere for a number of years and got bumped up a couple roles. Not fucking entry level fast food type jobs that require literally no education and very very minimal amount of training. The current minimum wage here is the same as about $10 US. That's a fair amount IMO. You gotta remember that these are shit no-education required jobs.

Raising the minimum wage is stupid anyway IMO. Not because inflation increases and buying power stays the same but more because it decreases hours and jobs. The issue of poverty and poor people is not so much people not earning enough because the wage rate is low the problem is that people don't have jobs or don't have jobs that offer enough hours to support them and their families.

If you wanna improve the quality of life in poor people than you don't need to give them more money you need to provide jobs so that they can get into full time employment and work themselves out of poverty.
And you don't create jobs by increasing the minimum wage. You create jobs by stimulating business, particularly small businesses.

Tax the rich, use that money to offer incentives to small businesses (such as cheap loans, tax credits, start-up help etc..) which in turn creates jobs for the poor/middle class.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
23-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Here's the problem - we are subsidizing corporations at both ends. Take the fast food industry as an example. Many of them benefit from agricultural subsidies that keep their costs down. Then, they benefit from public safety nets like food stamps. If employees at McDonald's didn't qualify for assistance, then they could not afford to work at McDonald's. So, the tax payers are picking up the delta.

It's a significant problem, but I'm not convinced simply raising the minimum wage is going to resolve it. It will mitigate the issue but it doesn't get to the root cause issues. But, it's easy to implement and understand so that's why it gets all the attention.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 7 users Like BnW's post
23-07-2015, 08:27 AM
(23-07-2015 08:16 AM)BnW Wrote:  Here's the problem - we are subsidizing corporations at both ends. Take the fast food industry as an example. Many of them benefit from agricultural subsidies that keep their costs down. Then, they benefit from public safety nets like food stamps. If employees at McDonald's didn't qualify for assistance, then they could not afford to work at McDonald's. So, the tax payers are picking up the delta.

It's a significant problem, but I'm not convinced simply raising the minimum wage is going to resolve it. It will mitigate the issue but it doesn't get to the root cause issues. But, it's easy to implement and understand so that's why it gets all the attention.

It's like raising the minimum wage is a leg and poor people are the dog.

[Image: oscar.png]
23-07-2015, 08:34 AM
(23-07-2015 07:08 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  $15 US is $22 NZ dollars. That's fucking ridiculous. That's what you'd get paid if you worked somewhere for a number of years and got bumped up a couple roles. Not fucking entry level fast food type jobs that require literally no education and very very minimal amount of training. The current minimum wage here is the same as about $10 US. That's a fair amount IMO. You gotta remember that these are shit no-education required jobs.

I may be missing some news as context. Where does the $15 figure from? In the US the current federal minimum is 7.25USD. The New Zealand rate is currently worth 9.56USD. The Australian minimum wage is currently 12.75USD.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
23-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Refusing to tie MinWage to inflation is immoral, in my opinion. At its peak value in 1968, miminum wage had a "today's dollars" value of $10.71 when adjusted for inflation. It has declined ever since due to inflation, despite raises in actual dollar value of the MW. On the other hand, the original form of MW was much weaker, prior to the 1950s.

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/economy...ince-1938/

BnW picked up on the real issue, which is that corporate subsidies (here in the nation where our politicians have more corporate sponsors than NASCAR drivers do) means we taxpayers are picking up huge chunks of the tab, anyway, in a situation designed to keep corporate profits high while doing little to truly help the poor move out of the low-wage job market. That's why the MW jobs aren't 16 year olds earning extra cash anymore, but are considered primary income for a huge number of families, whose "breadwinners" have little genuine hope of getting out of that cycle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/busine....html?_r=0

To those who complain about this situtation, the counter-argument is usually something along the lines of blaming the worker (well if only they weren't lazy/had more skill/tried harder/etc). Except that's just not the reality for most people. It's a bit like the "Welfare Queen" propaganda, where the worst imaginable version of a thing is applied across a group it really doesn't describe at all, in order to justify a bad situation for that group.

As I so often point out in the threads regarding prison (which I also consider a linked issue), if we took the tax dollars we're currently using to subsidize maintaining the status quo (by which businesses are making literally record-in-the-history-of-the-earth profits), mentioned in prior post by BnW, and applied it to college and vocational-training/skills programs that don't leave our learned in crushing debt, to healthcare coverage that doesn't ruin a person financially, and more toward supporting small-business expansions and entrepreneurship programs that aren't just about Capitalists making huge profits off ventures (I am not knocking Capitalism; I am only saying it does not necessarily have the interest of the nation or the people in mind, and it may be time to recognize this factor in our society to a greater degree).

It's about much more than the social safety net. It's about how we choose to build society.

"And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." - Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to John Taylor, May 28, 1816.
http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson...-quotation

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-07-2015, 09:13 AM
(23-07-2015 06:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  *slow clap* Yup cause obviously keeping minimum wage at above starvation levels is bad. You are a dumbfuck I swear but what can one expect from an idiot who is against wearing helmets. It's not a one time fix, the only reason the situation has deteriorated to this point is the minimum wage was not tied to inflation levels as it should have been.

and you - look like a dog chasing it's own tail...

Raise minimum wage - inflation sets in -- raise minimum wage - inflation sets in --ect ect ect...

In the meantime -- everyone that was at slightly above minimum wage - is now a minimum wage worker ---- YOUR solution -- give everyone a raise.....

And the elderly - and anyone else on a fixed income gets screwed....... Oh -- your solution --- GIVE THEM MORE MONEY!!!!!

You're a moron who thinks that everybody gets rich by adding zeros to the currency.......

The only people that REALLY benefit -- are the politicians -- who play political fellatio with fiscal policy - to get more votes.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
23-07-2015, 10:00 AM
I question the relationship between inflation and minimum wages. You may be right about it but the idea that you raise MW and 3 months later you have an elderly apocolypse doesn't seem right to me. Especially when, in theory, you are not really increasing their spending but are transferring the responsibility from tax payers to employer.

I get that for many people it's not 1 for 1 and there will be more spending, but more spending is not inflation.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post